Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times

Advertisements

Well, they love Seattle. Although they moved there from Knoxville, they both grew up in metro Atlanta, so they are used to the bustle and traffic, but Seattle's mass transit puts Atlanta to shame. If it turns out they put down some deep roots, I may be on here looking for housing advice for myself in a few years!

Also, thanks for the link to Dunn Gardens. If they end up in that area, I might consider "gifting" them a membership. They would rather have experiences than "stuff," so it is always a challenge to come up with something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Well, they love Seattle. Although they moved there from Knoxville, they both grew up in metro Atlanta, so they are used to the bustle and traffic, but Seattle's mass transit puts Atlanta to shame. If it turns out they put down some deep roots, I may be on here looking for housing advice for myself in a few years!

Also, thanks for the link to Dunn Gardens. If they end up in that area, I might consider "gifting" them a membership. They would rather have experiences than "stuff," so it is always a challenge to come up with something.
You're welcome! I have a sis in Nashville and first cousin just outside of Knoxville in Maryville. Yeah, Dunn Gardens is really special though not many people know about it. It also has an interesting East coast Connection. The famous Frederick Law Olmsted's (the father of landscape architecture and urban parks in the USA and the creator of NYC's Central Park) sons ran the Olmsted Brothers firm after Frederick retired, they were hired by cities all over the country to create public spaces, it was visionary that Seattle chose to use them very early in their history. When the firm would come to a city to create public spaces, wealthy people would also hire them to do their private gardens, most of the crown jewels in the Seattle Park system (Volunteer Park, Seward Park, Discovery Park) are products of that decision. Dunn Gardens is one of those private gardens done by the Olmsted Brothers while they were in Seattle.

You wouldn't be the first parent of a relocating kid to be lured out here .

Old 01-25-2020, 07:16 AM

As we learn about the Broadview area, we have come across info on the interurban trail, which seems nice since my SIL is a bicycle rider and it is just a few blocks from the house they have been looking at. One of the things they love about Seattle is the outdoorsy vibe. I read a stat that the number of houses for sale is down 20 percent from same time last year. Slim pickings. Their agent seemed to think more will be coming on the market in the next few months, but that bidding wars might heat up, too. You hope you are having good timing on your purchase, but who knows..........

Old 01-25-2020, 07:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
It's a great asset. It begins in Broadview and continues all the way to everett. Used to ride it and jog on it all the time, and I miss having something like that so close.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's a great asset. It begins in Broadview and continues all the way to everett. Used to ride it and jog on it all the time, and I miss having something like that so close.
Great! One always wonders about safety, but the more people using it, the safer I would expect it to be.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
OP, I grew up in Greeneville, near Knoxville Seattle is a bit of an adjustment for those of us who grew up in the culture of Northeast TN. If you ever want to chat, feel free to send me a PM!

Old 01-31-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
OP, I grew up in Greeneville, near Knoxville Seattle is a bit of an adjustment for those of us who grew up in the culture of Northeast TN. If you ever want to chat, feel free to send me a PM!
Thanks! It is actually my daughter and son-in-law who are in Seattle, but I am learning about the city in case I end up following them. When they first got there, they did feel a bit of the "Seattle Freeze," because you know we are so darn chatty here in the south, but they are getting used to it and really enjoying Seattle.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:05 AM

Thanks to all who gave input on Broadview. My daughter and son-in-law have a house under contract in the neighborhood and they are looking forward to enjoying Carkeek Park and everything else the area has to offer!

Old 02-02-2020, 04:54 PM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Would or do you live there?
My main hesitancy about Broadview is that you have to drive to any where you want to go, other than a walk in the park - if you're close enough. There are no grocerystores, restaurants, services, etc other than Holman Road, which can be too long of a walk in the rain and cold.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
My main hesitancy about Broadview is that you have to drive to any where you want to go, other than a walk in the park - if you're close enough. There are no grocerystores, restaurants, services, etc other than Holman Road, which can be too long of a walk in the rain and cold.
The intersection of Holman road /105th and greenwood has several small restaurants and a produce stand which has enough items to save a grocery trip for later. It also has frequent bus service on the 40 to Ballard , SLU, and Northgate as well as the 5 and 355 downtown . I lived in the area without consistent access to a car and it wasn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area