Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
As much as I agree with you, it seems almost impossible on a federal level.
It is disheartening. Tennessee is passing laws that go in the opposite direction. But we can't give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 PM

301 posts, read 312,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Bombs are illegal, though.
That's outrageous. Consider an elections run in some random state/district full of true American patriots, think of all that sweet sweet money from bomb manufacturers!

Last edited by eugene_b; 01-23-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 147,866 times
Quote:
Arrest records reveal both are documented gang members with extensive criminal histories. Tolliver has previously been arrested 44 times with 20 convictions, for offenses including unlawful possession of a firearm, theft, malicious mischief, and assault. Tolbert has been arrested 21 times with 15 convictions, including robbery, possession of a stolen vehicle, discharging a firearm in a public place, theft, and harassment.

This is progressivism for you, their last arrest was in 2018, less than 2 years ago. If doing a drive by shooting and having a stolen firearm doesn't get you locked up, what does in this town?

Everyone in seattle knows to avoid 3rd and pine aka 3rd and crime for good reason, the city council and the county prosecutor refuses to do anything about the increase in crime and refuses to prosecute criminals caught by police because it "didn't meet their threshold". There are druggies and dealers walking around with arrest records over 100 charges long are let loose on the streets, you even have them on TV interviews saying that they see themselves as "above the law" because there is just no punishment for the damage that they do.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I have a permit to carry a concealed pistol.
Depending on the situation I might carry a concealed weapon.
Could be while walking my property line or birdwatching in the middle of nowhere.
We live far away from people and have never seen a police officer on our road or near our house.
I am not a Rambo gun nut, drug user, a drunk or have ever been arrested.
I’m just a family man and these are tools.

I am also for gun control.
I don’t think bad guys or the mentally unstable should have this right.
I also think if you have guns you need a gun safe and should be liable if you were negligent in gun ownership.
Put the bad guys away.
Don’t let people with mental issues buy guns.
Gun confiscation will just hurt decent people.
Bad guys don’t care about laws and hope you are not able to protect yourself.

Personally I think that politicians that use this platform are just fishing for votes because they fall short elsewhere.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Are you on totally board with people carrying bombs? They are inanimate objects after all.
Yes, you can get a permit through the ATF do do exactly that.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:26 PM

128 posts, read 147,866 times
Quote:
Are you on totally board with people carrying bombs? They are inanimate objects after all.

Do you have drano? aluminum foil? plastic or glass bottle? There's your inanimate objects that are also bomb components.

How about fertilizer? baking soda? vinegar? pressure cooker? gasoline? nails? bolts? nuts? batteries? timer? inanimate objects that are also bomb components as well.

Why haven't you bombed anyone? Because none of that inanimate stuff in your house or garage will do anything unless you do something with it first, and because you don't have the type of evil in your heart unlike those others who shoot and bomb indiscriminately.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Yeah but if anyone could buy a pre-made, ready to go, hugely destructive bomb at the local convenience store for a few bucks in a convenient carrying case, I think we'd have bigger issue with bombs than we do currently. Right?

This is basically my opinion about gun control. Yeah, guns are inanimate objects, like a hammer or a car is. But the difference is those things can be misused to harm people, but with guns if you shoot and kill someone with it, that's using it for its designed and intended purpose, not misusing a tool.

I support 2A in general, but I would not have it interpreted nearly at all so liberally. There is some constitutional right to own some kind of arms (for the purposes of a citizens' militia), but it doesn't mean we can't severely limit and regulate from there.

And with keeping in mind that no policy will ever completely prevent issues, but I think clearly we need some reduction in gun violence in the US, and the issue needs to be comprehensively tackled by the federal govt, with more sensible policies implemented until we find a better balance... but unfortunately they're a bunch of cowards who would rather serve the NRA special interest manufacturer lobby.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM

301 posts, read 312,698 times
I mean, yes, by that logic anything can be manufactured from scratch. I’ve also googled ATF and it looks like it’s heavily regulated and permits are given for very specific purposes and the explosives are made for very specific purposes. I support 2A too and probably will own a gun eventually - I am far from the “all guns should be banned” camp. It doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be heavily regulated, just like explosives are.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:19 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
I mean, yes, by that logic anything can be manufactured from scratch. I’ve also googled ATF and it looks like it’s heavily regulated and permits are given for very specific purposes and the explosives are made for very specific purposes. I support 2A too and probably will own a gun eventually - I am far from the “all guns should be banned” camp. It doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be heavily regulated, just like explosives are.
They already are heavily regulated. To the point of ridiculousness. The problem you are having is straw purchases by someone these felons know. They legally buy the gun and hand it over to them. It's usually their GF or sibling.

No one can purchase a firearm through an FFL without doing a back ground check. 80,000 fail this every year but we don't arrest those that try. It's also quite legal for the felon to just walk back into the store and get the parts to easily finish a weapon. All without a BGC.

Oh, and we still have no way to stop two buddies from selling a gun to each other in their own garages.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:21 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I remember watching a running gang fight there from a McDonalds when I was in my 20s. Looks like the local fauna hasn't changed much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area