Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 05:23 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I remember watching a running gang fight there from a McDonalds when I was in my 20s. Looks like the local fauna hasn't changed much.
44 arrests. Why are these savages allowed to roam the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 PM

301 posts, read 312,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They already are heavily regulated. To the point of ridiculousness. The problem you are having is straw purchases by someone these felons know. They legally buy the gun and hand it over to them. It's usually their GF or sibling.

No one can purchase a firearm through an FFL without doing a back ground check. 80,000 fail this every year but we don't arrest those that try. It's also quite legal for the felon to just walk back into the store and get the parts to easily finish a weapon. All without a BGC.

Oh, and we still have no way to stop two buddies from selling a gun to each other in their own garages.
If you can just skip all the regulations by buying the gun from a random dude or just go get premade parts and put them together, I don't think I'd call this "heavily regulated" - more like "not regulated at all with extra steps". Something interesting that you can spot if you re read this thread is that it was pivoted into this divisive "ban all guns" direction by the sudden and random influx of conservative Rambo types. Personally, if you ask me, my first question about this particular case is why these two people are not in jail rather than why they have guns.

And now to put that aside, as for the gun regulation, there is still this question that was brought up earlier - why does US has overwhelmingly larger number of mass shootings compared to other civilized countries? Not this kind done by someone with dozens of arrests. The kind where some nutjob loads up with arsenal of assault automatic weapons and shoots up a concert, a Walmart, or a school? Whenever this topic comes up, any discussion immediately breaks down into the "they want to take all guns" dumpster on fire. Rather then having a calm grown up discussion about should it really be that easy (or even possible at all) to buy these ridiculous automatic weapons? (which that bomb analogy kind of alluded to)

Old 01-23-2020, 05:48 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
If you can just skip all the regulations by buying the gun from a random dude or just go get premade parts and put them together, I don't think I'd call this "heavily regulated" - more like "not regulated at all with extra steps". Something interesting that you can spot if you re read this thread is that it was pivoted into this divisive "ban all guns" direction by the sudden and random influx of conservative Rambo types. Personally, if you ask me, my first question about this particular case is why these two people are not in jail rather than why they have guns.

And now to put that aside, as for the gun regulation, there is still this question that was brought up earlier - why does US has overwhelmingly larger number of mass shootings compared to other civilized countries? Not this kind done by someone with dozens of arrests. The kind where some nutjob loads up with arsenal of assault automatic weapons and shoots up a concert, a Walmart, or a school? Whenever this topic comes up, any discussion immediately breaks down into the "they want to take all guns" dumpster on fire. Rather then having a calm grown up discussion about should it really be that easy (or even possible at all) to buy these ridiculous automatic weapons? (which that bomb analogy kind of alluded to)
Spot on, eugene.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Well said.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Most overrated City in America is Seattle, but tourists are still suckered in. Maybe all the Downtown violence news will help them come to their senses and go elsewhere.
I’m convinced seattle being a good place to live/visit is just a meme at this point, like natural bodybuilding and “personality matters just as much as looks”

Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Most overrated City in America is Seattle, but tourists are still suckered in. Maybe all the Downtown violence news will help them come to their senses and go elsewhere.
Perhaps. Much of what makes Seattle a great place to live surrounds the city on every side.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Got the tax money to incarcerate?
Got the money to commit internment and enforce medications?
Got the money to detox and to keep them off addictions?
I will nor let them take over the street.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:16 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
As for gun control and all that, local policies or even state policies will never work in this country, but some improved national policies could. Like Chicago can ban handguns all it wants, but Indiana is right next door so they're gonna still be around.

Whatever type of policy we go with needs to be nation-wide and enforced at the border checkpoints. And it still won't be perfect by any means, but you look at countries that have had success reducing gun violence, so it's not impossible.

You're right. Mexico has national gun control, far stricter than in the U.S. And there's no gun violence in Mexico. Safest country in the world.

By contrast, Switzerland has mandatory gun ownership. No wonder Zurich is the most dangerous city in the world.

Yep, it's the guns.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:17 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
You're right. Mexico has national gun control, far stricter than in the U.S. And there's no gun violence in Mexico. Safest country in the world.
Mexico doesn't have control over Mexico, would be the issue there. The laws don't matter when there's no ability to enforce them.

I mean that's why you didn't bring up Japan, right? Where they've had like, one gun death in a decade or something like that? Clearly something is working there.

Anyway, progressive Seattle is one of the safest big cities in the US. Crime/murder rates are a fraction of Atlanta's, and Atlanta's is a fraction of St Louis/Detroit/Baltimore/Memphis, the 4 most dangerous cities.

It's not about red state/blue state. Maryland and Tennessee couldn't be more different politically but both have lots of murders in cities. It's more about national policies and just our overall socio-economic situation.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:38 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
A friend of mine living in Geneva gets quite upset when Americans point to Switzerland as somehow justifying America's gun loving culture. While gun ownership may be high, sales and transfers even between private parties are strictly regulated, ammunition is tightly controlled and rationed, and military-style weapons (high-capacity, automatic, semi-automatic, etc) and gun modifications are prohibited. So, not really a relevant comparison to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area