Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 12:22 PM

301 posts, read 312,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakey Foont View Post
This is not a gun control problem as much as it’s a young black man problem. Modern African American culture has some very negative aspects and these young men are symptoms. It’s irrefutable and shifting the focus to gun control is missing the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That is accurate but try selling it to a group of guilt indocrinated elected officials
Ah, another classic of the genre. An account with zero posts comes in out of nowhere and throws some juicy oil into the flame. Are you quoting and reposting him because it didn't trigger people into throwing R words around fast enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
People who want to kill will find a means.
Yeah, but this is not a reason to not have gun control. Nor a reason to not make murder illegal. Or etc etc.

The laws should make it as difficult as possible for crazy people to kill 60 people in 2 minutes.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Again, please check how this gun debate started here - it was injected very randomly. I really don't disagree with you. Yes, you are right, these people should have been in jail. And yes, considering their history, I have no doubt they would find a way to get a gun (although, maybe it would be a less extreme gun; but maybe not).

So I want to reiterate my question and emphasize that I am not talking about this case. I am talking about premeditated mass murders - walmart guy, random school shootings, that concert guy in hotel, etc..
Understood. Again, look at the UK and the Boston marathon attacks. Pressure cookers, garbage trucks, rental trucks, bombs made from over the counter items. There's a 12 year old kids video online where he's built a compressed air golf ball gun from plastic plumbing parts and is shooting golf balls through a old exterior door as fast as he can pull the trigger. Where there is a will to kill, they will find or make a weapon.
As far as the supply of weapons is concerned, as long as drugs can still be smuggled in so can other things so criminals will always have guns. It was shared with me that some individuals removed from a state housing authority unit under suspicion of drug dealing, were found to be armed with UZI's of Asian manufacture for example (not the semi-auto 9mm ones either).

"The laws should make it as difficult as possible for crazy people to kill 60 people in 2 minutes."

The current laws make it difficult for normal people to get guns, to the point of stupidity in some cases. For example a co-worker of mines father passed away and left him his collection in addition to what he already had. Both are/were CWP holders and have been background checked fingerprinted etc etc. He had the local FFL dealer sell a couple of the pistols, and ordered a different one which he still had to go through the waiting period to take possession of. Meanwhile, a criminal will break into a home and steal weapons and the police won't even come out.

When I was a teen, Washington state had "3 strikes and you're out". Then Gregoire was elected and things turned into "dozens of strikes and you're still not out" and we've been going downhill ever since.

Regarding the mentally ill that just snap and go mass shooter, it's just like the religious extremists. How do you tell if a person is crazy/suicidal and what their intent is? I don't have an answer for that one. One thing we all know though, is those behind some of the largest terrorist acts found it easier to hijack planes, rent a truck and fill it with fertilizer, and plow large vehicles into crowds, than it was for them to purchase assault rifles.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The current laws make it difficult for normal people to get guns, to the point of stupidity in some cases.
So what?

First of all, everyone's "normal" until they're not. Second of all, we're talking about a hand-held high-powered human-murdering machine. It should be difficult for anyone to get any kind of gun. And the type of gun should be also heavily restricted, and the type of ammo and etc.

It would be a lot more convenient for me to just walk onto a plane at the airport without all the scans, cause I mean, I know I'm normal and not a terrorist or carrying anything dangerous. But, you know, I'd much rather we have security checks that everyone, including myself, has to go through. It's no big deal.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
The guns aren't the problem. It's the people, and when you have people out on the streets with rap sheets as long as these guys had it's no surprise you will have more crime.
A co-worker of mine has a relative that lives in Seattle and his place got cased, some guns stolen amongst many other things. You know what happened? He left a message with the police, recorded the #'s of the stolen guns, but they never even came out to investigate or anything. It's ridiculous. Those guns are now on the street and he's furious because even though he's reported them they will still lead back to him as the prior owner WHEN used in a crime.

"You are avoiding the question though. I get it - progressives are bad, all their policies are bad, etc.. What is the conservative take at it and the conservative solution here - why are there so many more deaths in the US due to these mass killing and what can be done about it?"

Reinstate 3-strikes you're out, no more of this revolving door hand slap justice system with people having 22,42,80, over 100 priors still out on the streets. Homeless Druggies and drunks go into mandatory rehab. People of questionable mental health with histories of crime and violence get assessed and institutionalized. The "rights" of these people does not have priority over the safety of the public.
I can’t rep you again but completely agree with your points. Seattle’s police have tied hands due to a laissez-faire city council, mayor and prosecuting attorneys. A local cop told me that. They allow thugs to roam at will because they have decriminalized possession of a few grams. Until Seattle wakes up (and, I don’t believe “woke” is applied in this case), it will have crime like this. I feel so sad for the victims. Wrong place, wrong time.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Also let's not forget, something like 500 people die every year in the US from firearms accidents. So, you know, the more difficult it is for your normal people to get guns, the less chance of their 2-year-old finding it in the drawer.

But anyway, I support the basic constitutional right of private ownership of some form of guns (including in Seattle), but there clearly needs to be changes and much more regulation. As well as realizing that when the Second Amendment was written, they were talking about muskets and arms from that era, not some of these kind of weapons that exist now.

A right to obtain a firearm should exist, not mean that it should be without conditions, that it should be very easy to do so, or that it should be any type or grade of firearm. And then also close the rest of the loopholes, generally tighten up everything. The stats of violence would then start to decrease.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
Quote:
Understood. Again, look at the UK and the Boston marathon attacks. Pressure cookers, garbage trucks, rental trucks, bombs made from over the counter items. There's a 12 year old kids video online where he's built a compressed air golf ball gun from plastic plumbing parts and is shooting golf balls through a old exterior door as fast as he can pull the trigger. Where there is a will to kill, they will find or make a weapon.
As far as the supply of weapons is concerned, as long as drugs can still be smuggled in so can other things so criminals will always have guns. It was shared with me that some individuals removed from a state housing authority unit under suspicion of drug dealing, were found to be armed with UZI's of Asian manufacture for example (not the semi-auto 9mm ones either).

"The laws should make it as difficult as possible for crazy people to kill 60 people in 2 minutes."

The current laws make it difficult for normal people to get guns, to the point of stupidity in some cases. For example a co-worker of mines father passed away and left him his collection in addition to what he already had. Both are/were CWP holders and have been background checked fingerprinted etc etc. He had the local FFL dealer sell a couple of the pistols, and ordered a different one which he still had to go through the waiting period to take possession of. Meanwhile, a criminal will break into a home and steal weapons and the police won't even come out.

When I was a teen, Washington state had "3 strikes and you're out". Then Gregoire was elected and things turned into "dozens of strikes and you're still not out" and we've been going downhill ever since.

Regarding the mentally ill that just snap and go mass shooter, it's just like the religious extremists. How do you tell if a person is crazy/suicidal and what their intent is? I don't have an answer for that one. One thing we all know though, is those behind some of the largest terrorist acts found it easier to hijack planes, rent a truck and fill it with fertilizer, and plow large vehicles into crowds, than it was for them to purchase assault rifles.
You need to examine the "current laws" in all states before you say it is difficult for "normal people" to get guns. Many states make it as easy as possible for normal and less-than-normal people to get guns. And let's not forget that a lot of guns owned by "normal" people are negligently left in vehicles to be stolen and used by criminals.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 1,474 times
Yeah, Durkan was oh so careful in her remarks. She had to tie it to some larger progressive agenda instead of calling it for what it was. I guess we can expect no more from our politicians. McSchwinn was even more mealy mouthed. And this is most emphatically not an endorsement of right wing nutjoberry.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
rkcarguy I agree with you .

Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Ah, another classic of the genre. An account with zero posts comes in out of nowhere and throws some juicy oil into the flame. Are you quoting and reposting him because it didn't trigger people into throwing R words around fast enough?
That would be your delusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area