Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times

Advertisements

What's up with the tiny parking spaces here?

I'm glad that, unlike in TX, not everyone up here has an SUV. But I'm having a very hard time parking my Accord.

When I ask about this, I'm told it's part of the "Get On The Bus" plan. City/County/State/SomeGovtGroup people are trying to make it as difficult as possible for people to drive, because you should be biking or busing instead of driving.

Yesterday, at the doctor, my husband saw a woman back in the office, visibly upset. She couldn't get back to work in time because she couldn't get in her car because someone had parked THEIR car inches from her door and she couldn't get in. She was looking for the skinniest person they could find to see if THEY could get in. Maybe.

I'm seeing a lot of people just not even bothering. They park smack over the line and take two spots. In Dallas, you see this, too -- people with new cars that don't want anyone to ding. (But people get so irritated at that, they walk by and key the car instead. Duh). But I don't blame them here. It's just impossible, in the narrow lots with no swing-room, to get into these tiny spots. I'm working on improving, but it just seems impossible. Even in a normal-width car.

Can anyone shed light on this? IS there some regulation? Is it just higher property values meaning it's more valuable to squeeze an extra space out of a lot? IS it the conspiracy of "Get On The Bus"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Yeah, I do sympathize, Jen! In my experience, it's not any "conspiracy" -- I think someone's pulling your leg. But it IS a result of rapidly-rising real estate values, thus TAXES. And therefore also, owners can't really afford to expand much. So as you said, they need to squeeze as many striped spaces as possible out of an area.
In my experience, the parking spaces have been getting narrower in the past few years. Not fun... My only recourse has been to just get really really clever and slow about parking! But supermarket spaces are wider, so that's more fun!

Last edited by allforcats; 04-22-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I've noticed that too. And like Allforcats, I don't attribute it to a conspiracy among the transit cognoscenti...In some retail developments, the owners are required to provide a certain number of parking spaces, so yeah, they'll try to squeeze every last inch.
The other thing I've noticed is the spots marked "compact only" and invariably it's an SUV or a crossover station wagon type parked there. Grrrrr!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

I've noticed the compact-only thing. Sometimes there are dozens of those and nothing else in the lot available, though! I don't like parking in them, but if that's what there is, I will. Or at least, I'll try.

I've been complaining privately about the terrible driving here... I knew it would be, but that doesn't mean I like it. I don't know what is so terribly difficult about merging, or flowing with traffic, but at least 85% of the drivers (stat off the top of my head, of course) are just plain dangerously bad at driving. But now, it seems, I'm bad at parking... :-(

Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Seattle is denser and more built out than Dallas, so there is not as much land to dedicate to surface parking lots. It is also what other have said, the owners will try to fit as many spaces on their lots as possible to maximize profits. I also don't feel it is a conspiracy, but it definitely does have the positive side affect of making people take public transit.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I've noticed the compact-only thing. Sometimes there are dozens of those and nothing else in the lot available, though! I don't like parking in them, but if that's what there is, I will. Or at least, I'll try.

I've been complaining privately about the terrible driving here... I knew it would be, but that doesn't mean I like it. I don't know what is so terribly difficult about merging, or flowing with traffic, but at least 85% of the drivers (stat off the top of my head, of course) are just plain dangerously bad at driving. But now, it seems, I'm bad at parking... :-(
I'm with you, Jen. I have a minivan, so I'm totally screwed when it comes to parking here. I've had to get in on the passenger side and scoot to the drivers' side on some occasions, and you should see me trying to maneuver a carseat into the car.

V. =)

Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM

Guy told me his wife now drives a minivan BECAUSE of the tiny spaces. The sliding doors were the only thing that made it possible to get the doors open everywhere they needed to go. She pops the doors open from the key fob, kids jump in, and she can slide the door open a little or squeeze in the side with them.

Can't imagine squeezing the carseat in and out that way. Need more space for that. And privacy, for the cursing.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
Parking in Seattle is just plain frustrating lol. I pay $125 a month for parking at my apartment, and i know many places are much higher. Parking downtown isn't exactly the most fun thing to do, enjoying a delicious Henry Weinhard's rootbeer is infinitely more excellent.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Ooooh, they make rootbeer too?

Discovered their regular beer. Mmmmm. But nursing a baby, gotta take it easy on the real beer. A great root beer is always good. Not sure how you got to that from parking, but I'll take it!

You have to pay for the spot... can you always use it? Or do the people on the sides park so close that sometimes you can't squeeze in? That'd be my luck!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM

265 posts, read 1,073,820 times
Thank goodness I own a Sentra and a Focus, two of the narrowest cars with the tightest turn radius available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area