Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 07:48 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times

Advertisements

^ Yes eugene, that's a recipe for disaster, the first 2 paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
Over 100 million people have been put on lockdown. This is unprecedented! This is not the flu!
This is a virus that has never been exposed to mankind before. One can be a-symptomatic for up to two weeks and still be contagious. Look up Laurie Garrett..a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist on epidemics and viruses. View her interview on China Unscripted #61 and also her interview on Democracy now. She states that this new covid-19 virus has a higher mortality rate than the 1918 Spanish flu. Her prediction is up to 70% of the worlds population will be infected. This is a women that has been on the front line of the Ebola, SARS and Mers epidemics. Look up Peak Prosperity. He has a PHD and has been posting for the last 6 weeks with statistics and graphs. Get educated from the experts on what is about to take place with our hospitals and economy!
This is essentially quasi accurate but quite overly dramatic. SARS, MERS and COVID-19 all bear the markers of a zoonotic spillover. This means that at some point, an animal was consumed by someone who then became ill. China is infamous for it's open markets and the Chinese have culinary events the most recent known as the time of "wild flavor".

That said, SARS had a much more lethal mortality rate (9.2% to 2.2%) for COVID-19. While these are "novel' viruses they kill in the same way...this is not new.

Development of appropriate anti viral treatments is ongoing and rapid. These labs are very very high skill labor intensive and world wide....

We will get this figured out. Until that time, personal hygiene trumps.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM

160 posts, read 432,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
This is essentially quasi accurate but quite overly dramatic. SARS, MERS and COVID-19 all bear the markers of a zoonotic spillover. This means that at some point, an animal was consumed by someone who then became ill. China is infamous for it's open markets and the Chinese have culinary events the most recent known as the time of "wild flavor".

That said, SARS had a much more lethal mortality rate (9.2% to 2.2%) for COVID-19. While these are "novel' viruses they kill in the same way...this is not new.

Development of appropriate anti viral treatments is ongoing and rapid. These labs are very very high skill labor intensive and world wide....

We will get this figured out. Until that time, personal hygiene trumps.

Did you listen to the interview? She addressed some of these points you have brought up. If I am being overly dramatic then a Pulitzer Prize Winner Scientific Journalist is being dramatic. I would think EVERYONE would want to listen to someone with her credentials.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM

301 posts, read 312,822 times
I mean, sure, I have no doubt that the humanity will figure it out. Spanish flu - the last deadly one - killed, what, like several percent of the world population? I know that in the grand scheme of things this is just a minor hiccup. However, being inside of it with the first person view of all the societal and economic effects is going to be very very un fun. Which, if I were to guess, why experts give warnings to take it all seriously.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:48 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Great, you just outlined multiple additional vectors of disease into the United States. Curious how the Coyotes and Pollos running that every night would feel met with tanks and aircraft. Doubt would be that severe, though.

A single case actually discovered in Mexico City should warrant shutting down the border that afternoon, given the latency of this damn thing, full quarantine of ALL travelers. Largest city in the world, nothing would stop it at that point, kind of like the "Deputy Minister of Health" (so called) in Iran actually having the goddamn disease, and coughing in the face of reporters. Yes, that's today's news.

Also, should this go on...and...on...there will be "caravans" of "refugees" from Third World cesspools south of Mexico marching north to suckle at our medical system. Whom do you think will be in those caravan(s)? Disease, hopelessness. Death.

Bull****. Take care of your own problems, take it up with the junta or the gangs that run your cesspool.

And don't depend on some moron Third World, Communist police state to take care of anything. They have very few resources and no concern at-all for individuals; they're worried about "the State" and nothing else. Didn't work, did it?
Didn't see this coming!

With 9 dead and dozens infected I think it's time we close a border.

Around Seattle!

Old 03-03-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Didn't see this coming!

With 9 dead and dozens infected I think it's time we close a border.

Around Seattle!
While we are on topic I propose closing borders around Magnolia!

Old 03-03-2020, 03:05 PM

13,076 posts, read 7,515,583 times
So what are the recommendations from the VP?

Old 03-03-2020, 04:05 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
NONE.

I've noticed a Y-U-GE reduction in covid-19 coverage by several major media outlets in the last two days. Check out Huffpo and Fox -right now- for example.

I'm convinced the media and CDC has been told by the administration to tamper it down.

As much as I like transparency, I have to say it would make sense given how the markets reacted last week. I also don't like how the local community facebook groups are responding too. There is finger pointing and blame and accusations and a bunch of hysterical peeves being unleashed online. In order to keep us calm they have to slow the flow of information.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
NONE.

I've noticed a Y-U-GE reduction in covid-19 coverage by several major media outlets in the last two days. Check out Huffpo and Fox -right now- for example.

I'm convinced the media and CDC has been told by the administration to tamper it down.

As much as I like transparency, I have to say it would make sense given how the markets reacted last week. I also don't like how the local community facebook groups are responding too. There is finger pointing and blame and accusations and a bunch of hysterical peeves being unleashed online. In order to keep us calm they have to slow the flow of information.
I am not really sure it works this way (but who knows, maybe it does). Lack of information and transparency, even if perceived, gets replaced by assumptions and guesses. The only scenario I can think of where slowing the flow of information can be useful is if there is a strong case for this problem being YUGE and they are just trying to win some short term panic-free time to organize response once sh*t hits the fan.

That would require fairly strong level of competence and planning though so my bet is just on incompetence still. Not that this helps much outcome-wise.

I agree with the observation though - I opened Fox and friends out of curiosity and was quite surprised that they are trying to do "it's just another flu, move along people, nothing to see here". I was originally expecting that they would rather jump on this opportunity to do some heavy handed measures like bans here and there and stoke more of the usual stuff.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I expect nothing from the VP.

BTW... This is likely the VP's 'Final assignment' (fall guy / scape goat), as POTUS has been seeking an appropriate "Out" for VP.

Would had been very thoughtful and intelligent to put someone in charge who had the experience and credentials to drive a solution for USA health and economic risk of Covid 19.

We have several examples of very populated countries / regoins who have been on the front line of outbreak and immediately curtailed the spread and until yesterday had no deaths. These regions acted quick and sternly and effectively. I fear this will demonstrate the weaknesses in USA medical system, and our 'freedom' (?) of will as a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area