Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 09:42 AM

47 posts, read 28,577 times

Advertisements

Feel free to disagree with me, but this has been my observation:

You may have heard the term $30K millionaires to describe people who are broke off their butts from leasing BMWs and living expensive lifestyles. This is more common in sunshine states.

But I think Seattle's is emerging a new breed in the lab: $70K millionaires. This breed is different. It doesn't want a sports car, expensive shoes, or plasma screen TVs. Instead, it spends a lot on gadgets and trips to Snoqualmie Pass and $400 certification exams for some IT specialty. Probably saves more than the $30K millionaire in Arizona, but there is a noticeable and contagious personality that this person has which I'll get to later in this post...

Obvious fact: Competition amongst the masses becomes the fiercest and greatest when things are exclusive to a degree but still attainable by the average person. If it's way out of touch for the common class, they don't try for it.

San Francisco is pretty much getting to the point where is it exclusive and the average American knows they will never be able to afford it or make it big there. It's transitioning out of it's BMW or Mercedes status and becoming a Rolls Royce or Lamborghini, which is something you'll never be able to have.

But Seattle is still a BMW and still attainable on a national view scale, even if the broke hipsters who got priced out of their apartments say otherwise. A middle class citizen (by Seattle standards) can join "the game" easier in Seattle than they can in SF (although SF doesn't seem to have a middle class anymore). From my extensive job search on Indeed.com and Linkedin jobs, I am seeing waaaay more jobs being posted in Seattle starting at $70K than I do in the SF or LA areas. While this still isn't rich in Seattle, it's decent and you can probably find some kind of housing to purchase on an income like that.

As a person who's always fit into the category of "middle class" in every metro I've been, I would say I felt the most pressure to keep climbing in Seattle than anywhere else - and I ain't talking about the ascent on Snoqualmie. Because now you are dealing with everyday Joes and Janes who CAN make it. And at an income like $70K, you are at a point where you're doing okay but want to do better. I was working in a finance job in Seattle that had nothing to do with tech, but all of my co-workers were running out to get Lean Six Sigma, Python, C++ certifications.

I don't have kids, but I'd imagine that the next 10-15 years of schoolchildren in Seattle are going to experience class angst that is typically thought of as Orange County-style. It will probably be worst for kids in the Snohomish County and South King County regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:01 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo99 View Post
Feel free to disagree with me, but this has been my observation:

You may have heard the term $30K millionaires to describe people who are broke off their butts from leasing BMWs and living expensive lifestyles. This is more common in sunshine states.

But I think Seattle's is emerging a new breed in the lab: $70K millionaires. This breed is different. It doesn't want a sports car, expensive shoes, or plasma screen TVs. Instead, it spends a lot on gadgets and trips to Snoqualmie Pass and $400 certification exams for some IT specialty. Probably saves more than the $30K millionaire in Arizona, but there is a noticeable and contagious personality that this person has which I'll get to later in this post...
-A $400 certification exam for IT specialty in a tech-centric region is a sensible and prudent career investment for those who lack experience or have lapsed in their skills.

-Seattleites spending a day or two at Snoqualmie Pass during ski season is a sensible choice of entertainment and leisure that far predates the explosive success of the area's tech firms.

-Gadgets? You mean like cell phones? Everyone has one of those these days.. the Latin American migrant/immigrant/illegals standing outside of Home Depot will be messing with their phones while waiting for a job.

There isn't anything particularly "contagious" about wanting to get ahead or have a lifestyle comparable to those around you. People get into trouble because they don't plan ahead, expect instant gratification and are impatient.

Also you contradicted yourself. First you said Seattleites don't want fancy cars, but then you go on to say we are still "BMW status". If we don't want cars (which I agree with) then I would get rid of the car status analogy or metaphor.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
Seattle is a money grubbing, shallow, self centered, anti social, liberal elitists town. If your not of the same status, your pretty much dead and non existent to them. The place sux hard. Can’t wait to leave. It’s all about money money money...

Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 AM

301 posts, read 312,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Seattle is a money grubbing, shallow, self centered, anti social, liberal elitists town. If your not of the same status, your pretty much dead and non existent to them. The place sux hard. Can’t wait to leave. It’s all about money money money...
Oh I am sorry, what happened to "hard honest work", "pulling yourself by bootstraps" and all that jazz? Son, did you try finding a job? You know, it's what the rest of us do to earn the living. What are you waiting for, handouts?

Last edited by eugene_b; 03-03-2020 at 07:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2020, 01:39 AM

I thought the liberals rally cry was “tolerance”, help the poor, house the homeless, have compassion! What a load of s**t. Money money money.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-08-2020 at 03:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2020, 07:25 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Guitarist, I’ve always had a soft spot for you when I’ve read your posts. Politics aside, you seem like a good guy who misses the Seattle you used to know, has had a tough time with rising costs. Your moniker suggests you love music and probably make some pretty beautiful sounds. This post of yours is different than the others, you have definitely reached the point of anger. I want to encourage you to not be this person, not to resort to black and white thinking, I believe you are better than that. All over this city there are good, kind people, I know them, see them, work with them. They live in all neighborhoods. Just because someone has a home that has gone up in equity and they are doing okay in this new Seattle doesn’t make them shallow and money grubbing. Perhaps you’ve heard my story. I went through a very tough financial time after my first marriage, ate out of a food bank for 6 months and got my real estate license 19 years ago without 2 nickels to my name. I worked my ass off bro, and still do. I try to come from a place of love and kindness with all the people who come my way, but also work hard to help them. Does the fact that my business has thrived mean that I’m shallow or bad?

Come on bro, lot of good people around here. There is an old story about a 2 different people who move into a new neighborhood, they both end up talking to an old time neighborhood resident at different times on the same day. The first new neighbor says to the old timer “where I came from, neighbors didn’t really talk or get along. Things aren’t what they used to be. People are selfish, I just hope I can be left alone here”. The second new neighbor says to the old timer “I’m really happy to be here. I bet there are some great people here, where I’m leaving was such a friendly block. I can’t wait to meet the neighbors”. The wise old timer, after visiting with each person during that day, says the same thing to each of them. “Yup, I think you are going to find that this neighborhood is exactly how you described it”.

One more story for you. I helped a young 28 ish year old couple just yesterday buy a sweet little townhome at Green Lake. They are the kind of people that I bet you would categorize and instantly reject. They dress well, are from the LA Area, they have stock options and they each make about $120k each in salary. You would have never given them a chance. That would be your loss because if you had dug a little deeper. You would have found out that they are the children of parents that fled Iran when the Ayatollah took over, that their families were had very little money and they experienced lots of prejudice toward them when they were kids growing up in Southern California. You would also learn about how they did very well in school, met in the Bay Area and made their way up to Seattle. You would learn that they have taken amazing travels to really interesting places in the world, that they are both rock climbers, great cooks and that they volunteer to help maintain trails in Western Washington.

So, my friend, I encourage you to stop being bitter, stop generalizing and judging others in a blanket way just because your circumstances are challenging. Meditate, find love in your thoughts and actions, find that poetic kindness inside of you that I know is there. You are better than what this frustration and anger has brought out of you. I truly wish you the best on the next step of your journey. Places change, I’ve seen it all over the world. Change is never all good or all bad. We can change and evolve too, we can also choose to leave and find a place that suits us better. What is absolutely true though is that our attitude/perceptions and how we walk through each day are very much a personal choice. I’m not a Buddhist but I like very much what they believe. “Right thoughts, right action”. The way I see it is that we as humans do best when we walk through the world and try to be good, kind, decent people. We also do best when we don’t compare ourselves to others or judge others. Find a place that makes you happy, do your best each day to lift others up, find the good in people (it’s everywhere) and realize that your thoughts very much affect your mood and your life.

So that’s all I got, bro. I wish you the best, this Seattle liberal with equity in his home and a business that is doing well gives away about 10 percent of the money he makes to homeless shelters and other places. I’m also a normal guy with a family and dreams who would be happy to buy you a beer in a pub if I were sitting next to you. Lot of good folks out here all around you, that holds true wherever you are. Don’t forget that.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 03-08-2020 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Great wording homesinseattle.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 PM

206 posts, read 186,310 times
Something about a lot of BMW's and Lamborghini's?

What's your point? People are trying to ascend the career and lifestyle ladder? Is this groundbreaking stuff?

What's the alternative? Sitting on your ass and complaining?

Old 03-10-2020, 01:42 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
First world problems.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:08 AM

Seattle has already emerged as the next San Fran. There is zero affordable housing now. The rents have literally doubled in the last 9 years in Snohomish county. Average rent for a two bdrm is now $1889 per month. An annual income needed is around $76,000. I guess one would have to a single male to grasp how much earnings, status, and worldly prestige rule in Seattle. Best be a make model in order to date here, if your not a high earner. It’s just not the sort of place for more humble, salt of the earth, lower to moderate income citizens. We don’t belong in Seattle. It just doesn’t even feel like there is any depth of soul left in Seattle. Best off being in Des Moines, Louisville, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Saint Cloud, Roanoke, and so on. The traffic here is deadly, as well. I see absolutely nothing here to remain. And the only redeeming quality is the views. But you can get those in West Virginia, upstate NY, Virginia, and etc. Even the bluffs and lakes around La crosse Wisconsin are stunning. You’ll get much lower housing costs, friendlier people, less traffic, better food, and an overall less stressful environment. It makes zero sense to stay here for 1000’s of citizens here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area