Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 06:13 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Having grown up in the middle of BF-nowhere, where we might go weeks without a trip to town - I can say the items I stock are barely touched, while items that make me shrug are gone. I have no idea what people are prepping for, but they are likely going to run out of interesting, shelf-stable items long before the weeks of boredom and dietary monotony get to them...

Now I am definitely stocking up on stuff that is made almost exclusively in China that I might have a hard time getting later - contact solution, glasses, medications, makeup, etc... Even if an item isn't made in China - its packaging almost certainly is. Supply lines are very complex and global, and when those break down, it doesn't matter if the bulk of an item can be made here - if one small part comes from a restricted area, and it can't be obtained, then that item doesn't get distributed (or there is major delay until an alternative is found).
You use makeup from China??? Eww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 07:43 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
I'm just glad that there will be more prepared people for when there is an actual disaster like an earthquake.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Quote:
You use makeup from China??? Eww
Your makeup must not come packaged in a plastic case then. Ah well, that's what us commoners must use. Way to be independent from global supply chains!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:20 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Ruth, you know that I’m an optimist but I have to say that it’s a little unpredictable around here right now. All the coronavirus deaths in the US have happened here, most at a senior care home in Kirkland, a “cluster” they call it. It appears that the coronavirus may have been spreading weeks undetected in the Seattle area. More cases keep popping up in a variety of places, today an employee at Amazon. So, whether right or wrong, people have a very real fear that we could be quarantined to our homes (like in Wuhan where the virus originated) for some period of time. This fear is driving purchase of non perishables and essentials like toilet paper.
Thank you! I had no idea, that people are afraid of being quarantined. Nor that there have been various outbreaks in your area. I'm heading that way in early April for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried?

Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
And a high school student tested positive in Kitsap. How many people have it by now? How many have had it for a while?

Every day it'll be more and more.

At first it will most likely follow an exponential growth curve. Eventually it will level off and start to decrease. Like Earthquake aftershocks though, we may see one or more resurgencies. But we'll all be used to it by then and people will be more rational about their response.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you! I had no idea, that people are afraid of being quarantined. Nor that there have been various outbreaks in your area. .........?

Whether or not there is an official quarantine, there will be people who elect to not go out into public if a virus is spreading rapidly.

Myself, if there is an outbreak of flu in my area, my choice is to stay out of stores and public places until it blows over. I'll do the same if we start having cases of Corona virus where I live. In order to stay out of stores, one must have enough food and goods to survive without shopping.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:23 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whether or not there is an official quarantine, there will be people who elect to not go out into public if a virus is spreading rapidly.

Myself, if there is an outbreak of flu in my area, my choice is to stay out of stores and public places until it blows over. I'll do the same if we start having cases of Corona virus where I live. In order to stay out of stores, one must have enough food and goods to survive without shopping.
planting season is starting. =)

Old 03-04-2020, 01:45 PM

206 posts, read 186,310 times
Supposedly the number of cases in Wuhan is declining, if you can trust whatever news comes out of China.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:31 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Chips are all purpose . Carbs, oils, fire starter, and intruder alerter.
...I was trained in unconventional warfare and land survival. I NEVER thought of using snack chip are a peremeter alert system. Those chips, in a bad situation, are too valuable to be wasted.

If this caught anybody's attention... Don't do it... After a couple of hours or at best a day, the moister in the ground/air with take away the crunch from those chips and you simply wasted a valuable food resource.

Plus, if somebody is close enough for you to hear the crunch, it too later since they're already up on you.

If you're worried about somebody sneaking up on you... To steal your chips, buy a spool of fishing line and a bunch fishing hooks too. After that, walk around your block and find 3-4 empty soda or beer cans a few stones.

On a serious note, you should always have at least two weeks of food AND water on hand... No matter what.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:38 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Supposedly the number of cases in Wuhan is declining, if you can trust whatever news comes out of China.
Ha!! Only a dumb@zz would believe anything coming from the Chinese's Central Government.

...I'm pretty sure that their methods of "lowering" the numbers of this infection would shock any American... Even Americans who hate the United States.

I'm pretty sure their "medical method" of controlling this infection cost about 10 cents per "dosage" per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area