Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:31 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times

Advertisements

COVID-19 vaccine trial will begin at Kaiser Permanente in Seattle.
Dr. Lisa Jackson is the lead researcher for the COVID-19 vaccine trial at Kaiser Permanente.

The clinical trial, which the FDA and NIH approved this week, will take place at Kaiser Permanente’s vaccine and treatment evaluation unit in Seattle.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...n-seattle.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 08:01 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Next time someone criticizes "big pharma" remember how many millions of lives they have saved in the past and into the future....

Old 03-07-2020, 09:14 AM

15,819 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Next time someone criticizes "big pharma" remember how many millions of lives they have saved in the past and into the future....
If there is criticism coming, it will be based in large part on how much they charge us for this vaccine.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:50 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If there is criticism coming, it will be based in large part on how much they charge us for this vaccine.
We don't even know yet how much the vaccine will cost.

I saw a Facebook post criticizing the fact that this vaccine won't be free. I thought, "Do YOU want to go develop it for FREE?!? How many people do you know who don't enjoy a paycheck for their work?!?"

Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
We don't even know yet how much the vaccine will cost.

I saw a Facebook post criticizing the fact that this vaccine won't be free. I thought, "Do YOU want to go develop it for FREE?!? How many people do you know who don't enjoy a paycheck for their work?!?"
Yes it won't be free. People in the US will be screwed as they will have to pay god knows how much for a vaccine invented in their home country. At the same time, all other civilized nations will have it covered by their universal health care. That's the reality of the messed up health care system aka insurance mafia in this country.

Last edited by Botev1912; 03-07-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
The golden age of drug and medical discovery had nothing to do with big Pharma. It was the mid 20th century when generous government funding supported an explosion in advances with the objective being to save and improve people's lives - NOT profit. Life expectancy soared.

Big Pharma currently spends more on sales and marketing than on research, while also paying finance execs tens of millions of dollars each year - not the actual scientists with the expertise and technical prowess to develop new advances.

Just another example of how slavish devotion to "free market" principles is foolish:

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ekocwLnkQlOuAE

"We tried like heck to see if we could get investors or grants to move this into the clinic," said Hotez, co-director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children's Hospital and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. "But we just could not generate much interest."

"The responsibility to fund this type of research must rest with governments and nonprofits, Schwartz said, because for-profit pharmaceutical companies can't be counted on to fund projects that, in most cases, will never make money."

Old 03-07-2020, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Many early vaccine pioneers were not getting paid (neither did early politicians). Community and humanitarian service was their motivation. I have purposed to give away more to those in need, than I spend on myself, so far, I'm still alive and eating well.

But... I do prefer to buy my meds and HC outside of USA. I would be very surprised that the USA is the only, or even top 10 places to develop new meds. If it is now, it won't be for long. Other countries are far advanced in benevolent care and dedicating technical resources to a cause such as this.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
I wanted to volunteer for trials but they require 11 visits with a 14 month period. Also, consider that: 14 months to complete the trial...

Old 03-07-2020, 12:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Odds are, the government will fund a lot of it for the simple reason that not being vaccinated puts everyone at risk. Think about it. I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but sometimes it is necessary in order to maintain a functioning country.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
No mercy huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: