Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 07:30 AM

81 posts, read 71,605 times

Advertisements

Husband starting a new job on July 1st and we have already made plans for a move end of May. Rented a home there and paid security deposit and a months rent already. All this happened back when there are no coronavirus scare. But given the current situation, we are really worried if it will be safe to move end of May. It’s not that our current city in Tennessee is safe from coronavirus but there is only 1 known case so the number is definitely low. What is your current assessment of the virus spread there? Will it be safe to make this move in May? Husband is in health care so work from home not an option for him, but it is an option for me and that’s what I am currently doing. Have 2 elementary age kids. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 08:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
The state and local government agencies are taking this very seriously, employers here are taking this very seriously, and lastly, the citizens too.

This is a very fast moving crisis, It's my opinion WA State is leading the nation in response.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Check with your hubby's employer, to see what they're doing for their employees, to keep them safe. Events are unfolding so rapidly at this point, it seems the only predictable development is, that it will get worse. Check online the rate of spread or containment in the area/city/county where you're renting, for the latest news, as well.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Thanks to the convalescent hospital in Kirkland, the virus here has appeared in the press to be far worse than it really is, since most cases came from or started there. Still, we are definitely in the top of the country in efforts to stop it. Most big office people are now working from home, meetings, conferences cancelled, we now have a hiring freeze, but it does not affect those with an accepted offer and start date. All schools in King and adjoining counties have cancelled school for at least the rest of this month, what happens after that is not determined. That makes it tough to work from home (with two kids there all day).

Old 03-13-2020, 08:37 AM

81 posts, read 71,605 times
Thanks @Ruth4Truth. We are renting in the somerset area and there isn't any known case of virus there as of now

Old 03-13-2020, 11:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
My daughter moved to Seattle from Tennessee and LOVES IT. They rented for a year and just moved into their new house this past Sunday. They used movers and they also had people at the new house installing a fence. They are working from home, but my SIL still makes trips to Home Depot and the grocery store. They are taking the recommended precautions with sanitizer, hand washing and staying home for the most part. Life goes on.

Our numbers in TN are low because the state has only tested 88 people (9 positives and 9 additional positives from private labs). New numbers are posted at 2 PM each day and expect increases. Seattle is ahead of us in taking measures to control the situation. My TN State Rep was on Twitter yesterday still saying this was not as bad as the flu, which is completely contrary to what the medical community is saying. By May, you may be very happy to be heading west.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Thanks to the convalescent hospital in Kirkland, the virus here has appeared in the press to be far worse than it really is, since most cases came from or started there. Still, we are definitely in the top of the country in efforts to stop it. Most big office people are now working from home, meetings, conferences cancelled, we now have a hiring freeze, but it does not affect those with an accepted offer and start date. All schools in King and adjoining counties have cancelled school for at least the rest of this month, what happens after that is not determined. That makes it tough to work from home (with two kids there all day).
Schools are closed for 6 weeks not for 2.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Look at it this way- by the time you move, chances are good our numbers will look a lot better than yours in Tennessee. You are just at the start of experiencing the virus and we are in the midst of it. It's been interesting hearing from people in other areas and how it looks when panic hits their states and areas. It's just a matter of time.

(disclaimer- not a virologist- this is just my perspective based on following some of the virus trend)

Old 03-13-2020, 02:00 PM

20 posts, read 17,526 times
Congratulations on the move! I’m originally from TN and my family is moving (back) to Seattle in June. You are one step ahead of us, by having a rental in place. What area are you moving to? Fingers crossed everyone is healthy and life is back to normal by summer!

Old 03-13-2020, 02:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
The state and local government agencies are taking this very seriously, employers here are taking this very seriously, and lastly, the citizens too.

This is a very fast moving crisis, It's my opinion WA State is leading the nation in response.
I was invited to and participated this morning in a COVID-19 webinar sponsored by an firm with international offices. It featured 5 presenters from across the US and one in Canada.

Everything shared was so 5 days ago, which in pandemic time is ancient history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area