Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Unfortunately not the coronavirus - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51735367 The myth of sun killing this virus is called out towards the end of the article.

Walking is still good for many other reasons...
Well I'm not talking about the Sun wiping it from your body. I mean the UV killing viruses on potentially contaminated surfaces. If you touch a surface that somebody else has previously touched, the risk should be somewhat lower after UV exposure.

See for example: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2143QP

Besides, they're finding out things about this virus that they didn't get quite right, so the information is subject to change.

Last edited by rjshae; 03-18-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Yeah, like MSNBC is a better source of factual news?

Sorry, this isn't a Left verse Right issue and this virus doesn't care if you love or hate Trump.

IMHO, I agree with most of what L. Ingraham said, especially about manufacturing most or at least, far more medicines here in the US. Yes, some of the things that needs to be done goes against many liberal views, but seriously, what is more important... Right now, it's to get through this crisis.

Sorry, but opening the borders and allow everybody to illegally enter the country or claim asylum, without screen, and possibly flooding our already limited hospital beds and medical supplies isn't the answer. If you think that this is the answer, you need to wake up to the real world.

Using common sense, we have to screen people who are coming into the country... Watch, especially atfter this crisis, many other countries will be screen people BEFORE allowing them to enter.

By being politically correct and thinking/acting on emotions, many... MANY Americans are now out of work and our economy is tanking and far worst... People are dying because of this virus.

Yeah, let's keep playing politics and let's see how much that sheet helps the American people during this crisis.
It was made a left versus right issue when, with the notable exception of Tucker Carlson, Fox News was misleading its viewers into complacency, which caused a lag in voluntary compliance with guidelines. They are now busy trying to rewrite history, but the fact is that these people may have cost lives. The survey results are clear: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/15/211805...ublicans-trump.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Until this becomes official, I don't think one should speculate. It just raises the panic meter. There is no need to panic.

If it comes to be, then deal with it. And after studying this, it allows one to leave their home to get critical supplies. It also allows one to go out for a walk or run as long as there is no contact with others. In essence, it is hard to enforce and mostly would be a volunteer type situation. But we are not there at this time.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
It was made a left versus right issue when, with the notable exception of Tucker Carlson, Fox News was misleading its viewers into complacency, which caused a lag in voluntary compliance with guidelines. They are now busy trying to rewrite history, but the fact is that these people may have cost lives. The survey results are clear: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/15/211805...ublicans-trump.
Hard to hide from what you said on video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HvE9hCZ-jaU

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
The entire state of California is now mandated to stay at home.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Default this is serious. Make shift hospitals are being established for the wave

Lets bend the curve.
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Old 03-20-2020, 09:04 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Until this becomes official, I don't think one should speculate. It just raises the panic meter. There is no need to panic.

If it comes to be, then deal with it. And after studying this, it allows one to leave their home to get critical supplies. It also allows one to go out for a walk or run as long as there is no contact with others. In essence, it is hard to enforce and mostly would be a volunteer type situation. But we are not there at this time.
What do you mean, "until this becomes official"? Hasn't it been official in WA for some time, now? The Gov. instituted the "shelter in place" order state-wide last week sometime. Maybe he didn't call it that, but ordering businesses to close, restaurants to stop seating people and offer take-out only, mandating that people work from home if their work allows, and so on, is a de facto shelter-in-place order. This is what shelter-in-place looks like, and quacks like.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:26 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do you mean, "until this becomes official"? Hasn't it been official in WA for some time, now? The Gov. instituted the "shelter in place" order state-wide last week sometime. Maybe he didn't call it that, but ordering businesses to close, restaurants to stop seating people and offer take-out only, mandating that people work from home if their work allows, and so on, is a de facto shelter-in-place order. This is what shelter-in-place looks like, and quacks like.
No, Ruth. It's not the same. Many businesses are/or have been still open, like a locally-owned game store and a sporting goods store. The framing shop and make-up stores had been open (I think Ulta is now closed or planning to close). These are stores just in my neighborhood.

My son has been going to the playing fields each day. It's been a lifeline for him and the rest of the neighborhood athletes and gym rats. They train together, in small groups, or alone. Under a shelter-in-place order they wouldn't be permitted to use the fields, at least not nearly in the same capacity they are using it now. I think at most a few at a time could get away with coming out at 7am and claiming a full half of a pitch to themselves. Technically, though, nobody would be able to use the fields. Walking, running or hiking.. those are the only three outdoor permissible actions I've read in the prior SFO shelter-in-place order.

Sheltering-in-place is no different for three members of my family, but I for the sake of my 13 year old I really, really hope it doesn't happen. He's popular, wildly socially, full of male hormones and needs to be let outside with another teammate or two.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
The wifey and I are sheltering in place.
We only go out at the minimum if at all.
I am not working.
She is.
Our cars have a couple of small ISO alcohol spray bottles that we use when shopping or getting fuel.
I still do road trips to the wilderness but bring food and have no contact with people.
I think this is still cool.
Your thoughts?

Old 03-20-2020, 09:52 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
No, Ruth. It's not the same. Many businesses are/or have been still open, like a locally-owned game store and a sporting goods store. The framing shop and make-up stores had been open (I think Ulta is now closed or planning to close). These are stores just in my neighborhood.

My son has been going to the playing fields each day. It's been a lifeline for him and the rest of the neighborhood athletes and gym rats. They train together, in small groups, or alone. Under a shelter-in-place order they wouldn't be permitted to use the fields, at least not nearly in the same capacity they are using it now. I think at most a few at a time could get away with coming out at 7am and claiming a full half of a pitch to themselves. Technically, though, nobody would be able to use the fields. Walking, running or hiking.. those are the only three outdoor permissible actions I've read in the prior SFO shelter-in-place order.

Sheltering-in-place is no different for three members of my family, but I for the sake of my 13 year old I really, really hope it doesn't happen. He's popular, wildly socially, full of male hormones and needs to be let outside with another teammate or two.
That's interesting; thanks for explaining that. I guess I've been misinformed some extent. It's great, that small businesses have been able to carry on, but OTOH, if you look at the article linked a few posts up, it sounds like the area is at much higher risk than is currently believed. The number of true cases is being wildly underestimated all over the US, but the article goes into some detail in discussing the WA State situation. So, after reading that article, I'm thinking it really is important to stay home as much as possible.

According to shelter-in-place orders elsewhere, FYI, it's allowed to go out to get exercise, as long as one doesn't do so in groups. So conceivably, your teen could go out with one friend, to play ball, or whatever. Even in SF/CA-at-large, one can do that, if one observes the social-distancing guidelines (minimum 6 feet of distance from another individual).

BTW, even young people can fall ill to the virus, and it can become life-threatening. It's a random kind of a thing. One can't assume that one is immune to it, or to its worse effects, by virtue of not being in a high-risk category. Just thought I'd mention that. A C-D member in his early 30's posted a blow-by-blow account of his experience, from onset of symptoms, to life hanging by a thread in the ICU, to final recovery and release, earlier this week. Terrifying! The illness suffocates you to death. That account, along with the article leastprime posted above, were real wake-up calls for me.

Best wishes for yourself and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area