Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 08:50 AM

8,173 posts, read 8,312,713 times

Advertisements

Another example on the ground that just happened. I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home listing right now. It’s just over 2000 square feet, 2 floor 1915 built traditional Craftsman, on a very nice street in Historic North Everett, 1200 block of Hoyt Avenue. I had it listed at $550,000, no action. I believe 3 months ago it would have sold there. My sellers wanted to sell, reminded me they had bought it years ago (from me) for $200,000 and that they were flexible.

Since then, we accepted an offer for $500,000 and are moving to closing. My clients have since bought a home, which we were able to negotiate from $800k to $760k. So, things don’t exist in a vacuum. Although they had to let go of the price they originally thought they would get to sell, market dynamics allowed me to negotiate a similar price reduction on their purchase. Oh, and their mortgage rate on old home was 4.75, they just got a 3.25 fixed on their new one.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-21-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Every thing you hear from a RE agent, seller, or buyer is anecdotal. People are still buying, just not as much. There's probably less stock though:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ex...ket-2020-04-21

Numbers in the article are for Jan and Feb. March and April could look worse.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:21 PM

An interesting coronavirus related real estate story. I got a call just 2 days ago from a 60ish year old former client of mine, about a year ago I helped her now 88 year old mother sell her large 2 level home and move to an assisted living facility. She is still sharp as a whip, just moves a little slowly.

My client said “my Mom got scared by COVID stories in care homes, has decided she wants to lessen her exposure to so many people, she also hates the food in this place. Please find her a one level home to buy with enough space for a live in caregiver and we’d like to move her in quickly”. I yesterday morning found a great place that fit their needs in Snohomish County, got their offer accepted at 10pm last night and we close in 3 weeks.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-23-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 10:05 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
lender tightening is also bound to happen. Most 4 bedroom homes in the city of Seattle would be jumbo and affected. Many people suffering and its bound to affect real estate to some degree at some point. Of course real estate moves slowly so it will be 6 months before we know.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/j...-is-shrinking/

Old 05-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Real estate in this area seems to be rolling along pretty well. Most desirable new listings are going under contract the first week or two, driven I'm sure in part by low interest rates. Homes are disinfected regularly, 3D tours integrated on many listings, only one buyer through home at a time with real estate brokers and only people who pledge that they are in good health. I've noticed almost without exception that masks are being worn, social distancing respected. The changes we have implemented seem to be working well. Life goes on, people keep buying and selling homes.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,857 times
Up here in Bellingham, decent homes below $500K seem to be moving, but they are slim pickings. There is a lot of garbage in this price range that is now sitting and starting to see price reductions.

$600K and up is sitting and I’m starting too see significant price drops, sometimes as much as $50K.

Will be interesting to see what happens as the gap between the two price levels narrows. We seem to have a bifurcated market.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 PM

96 posts, read 50,819 times
I don't doubt the housing market will be effected, however I think there are many sub-markets in the area. There are still many buyers who can purchase homes from 1-2 million in Kirkland, Redmond, East Bellevue much of Seattle, Issaquah etc. and then 2.5 million and above to live in Clyde Hill, West Bellevue and Mercer Island. The people who are losing their jobs in restaurants, hospitality etc. on the low end were never in the market for these homes. Of course, it will have a knock-on effect, but it almost certainly will affect rents. Lots of those workers will be in rental properties around the South end particularly and Lynnwood and Everett. Large numbers of new apartments and condos are coming on line this year. In the Totem Lake area of Kirkland alone a few hundred brand new apartments have just be completed. Usually the market would absorb all the new inventory but now that could all change. So rents could definitely be reduced, at least for a couple of years.

Although lending has tightened and jumbo loans are harder to get, and a large numbers of buyers in our area need a jumbo so that is sure to have an effect. Prices will definitely be affected if buyers can't get a mortgage. Sally Mae forecasts rates could actually drop below 3% in 2021, so if prices dip some lucky buyers are going to get a cheaper house with a cheaper mortgage.

Amazon are hiring 100,000 more people. Can workers from retail, hospitality, restaurants and aerospace be absorbed, when the unemployment rate is at 1 million? Probably not. I also have a kid who is a Freshman at the UDub, some of her friends are going to take time out from school. I told her I didn't think that made sense for her as she might not be able to work and she can't travel. At least if she stays in school, in three years time she will be ready to see where the market is and there may be less competition for jobs if a higher percentage of students drop out.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:30 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,857 times
Another factor I forgot to mention as it pertains to Bellingham...if Western Washington University’s campus remains closed into fall quarter and only offers classes online, we are going to have a lot of empty student housing rentals. In fact, I believe we are already feeling the effects of this...who’s going to secure a pre-lease for the fall right now?

Something tells me most Bellinghamsters couldn’t care less about the plight of our local landlords, however...

Old 05-11-2020, 07:49 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Another factor I forgot to mention as it pertains to Bellingham...if Western Washington University’s campus remains closed into fall quarter and only offers classes online, we are going to have a lot of empty student housing rentals. In fact, I believe we are already feeling the effects of this...who’s going to secure a pre-lease for the fall right now?

Something tells me most Bellinghamsters couldn’t care less about the plight of our local landlords, however...
I drove through there today. Lots of Hammer (BIG landlord) vacancy signs out, actual street parking spots available and few people hanging out. The college parking lots are empty.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 AM

865 posts, read 1,828,784 times
I've been watching like a hawk for about 2 months now, being in the "could we live there realistically mode," and it feels like, to me, the houses that meet my criteria are eeking up in price. Each week I'm having to adjust up my search criteria prices just to see things which I like can no longer afford come up in case there is a lowering when/if it comes time to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area