Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 PM

606 posts, read 419,615 times

Advertisements

So I live around Northgate and was enjoying a day at the park. Unfortunately I left because some 6 ft grunting homeless man that didn't seem mentally stable was getting a little too close for comfort. I am a really small person and wasn't even sure I could defend myself so I felt like leaving was the best thing. Normally there are zero homeless in this part of town.

There was one other homeless guy on a bench except he wasn't bothering anyone.

I understand Seattle had a homeless problem before this. But since the Covid epidemic I feel like the situation has gotten worse. I see more tents along I5 on my way home from work, and I keep coming across many unstable homeless that are invading my personal space. I still work and up until 2 weeks ago rode the bus to work downtown. I work nights. Going home in the morning is safe. But at night only homeless are out. The final straw to riding the bus came when I got off, was on my way to work and had some strange guy trying to get my attention who smelles strongly of weed. I ignored him and crossed the street, but I was pretty angry I was close to going to work smelling like weed.

So now I lyft to work. It's not really breaking my budget, especially with everything closed, but I feel like it's a necessary precaution until the city opens back up I suppose. But downtown is resembling a 3rd world country with all the boarded up buildings and homeless.

Also I'm hearing Ballard is becoming Seattle's Skid row. I feel bad for homeowners who have spent so much money only to have to deal with that.

Where are the police to enforce this? Maybe Inslee is too focused on the virus to notice the homeless problem ramping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 04:28 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I haven't been to downtown Seattle since last time I was in the office in early March, but I heard from other people there are only homeless junkies on the streets as there are no tourists and workers. That is sad but this is the US in 2020. That is why most people want to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:34 PM

606 posts, read 419,615 times
Apparently the suburbs of Seattle are also becoming infested with them too. This is insane. I don't think I even see cops patrolling downtown. When things were open I saw more cops going by. It seems strange.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:56 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Apparently the suburbs of Seattle are also becoming infested with them too. This is insane. I don't think I even see cops patrolling downtown. When things were open I saw more cops going by. It seems strange.
Even the worst suburb doesn't compare to downtown Seattle and some of the more central neighborhoods. People just don't tolerate it as much. You can see homeless but it's nothing like Seattle.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Downtown Seattle looks like 28 Days Later with homeless junkies meandering around and extremely light amounts of traffic, end of the world feel to it

Concealed carry is a good thing if you must go downtown and get out of your car

Old 05-01-2020, 02:26 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Downtown Seattle looks like 28 Days Later with homeless junkies meandering around and extremely light amounts of traffic, end of the world feel to it

Concealed carry is a good thing if you must go downtown and get out of your car
Agree on CC and I used to have one.

But one has to be careful at the current prosecutor / state in charging citizens defending themselves.

The values of Seattle are upside-down.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I suggest contacting the City, using the link below. What's critical to action is evidence of health or safety issues. A little over a year ago I reported rats sniffing at the feet of a homeless camper sticking out of the tent on Elliot Ave and within a week it was removed, fenced with signage.

https://seattle-csrprodcwi.motorolas...p2?id=CSGENINQ

Old 05-01-2020, 09:36 AM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Unfortunately the city won't really do anything about the homeless unless it is in an area where influential people live. Northgate would not be one of those areas.

The city's response is very disappointing considering that allowing mentally ill people to rot on the street is not, in my opinion, humane in any way. They say they are protecting the homeless, but really they are neglecting them by not doing anything.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:47 AM

306 posts, read 102,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Agree on CC and I used to have one.

But one has to be careful at the current prosecutor / state in charging citizens defending themselves.

The values of Seattle are upside-down.
And you can than the stupid voters in S#!tattle for this. They keep putting these no enforcement morons in office.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:20 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
So I live around Northgate and was enjoying a day at the park. Unfortunately I left because some 6 ft grunting homeless man that didn't seem mentally stable was getting a little too close for comfort. I am a really small person and wasn't even sure I could defend myself so I felt like leaving was the best thing. Normally there are zero homeless in this part of town.

There was one other homeless guy on a bench except he wasn't bothering anyone.

I understand Seattle had a homeless problem before this. But since the Covid epidemic I feel like the situation has gotten worse. I see more tents along I5 on my way home from work, and I keep coming across many unstable homeless that are invading my personal space. I still work and up until 2 weeks ago rode the bus to work downtown. I work nights. Going home in the morning is safe. But at night only homeless are out. The final straw to riding the bus came when I got off, was on my way to work and had some strange guy trying to get my attention who smelles strongly of weed. I ignored him and crossed the street, but I was pretty angry I was close to going to work smelling like weed.

So now I lyft to work. It's not really breaking my budget, especially with everything closed, but I feel like it's a necessary precaution until the city opens back up I suppose. But downtown is resembling a 3rd world country with all the boarded up buildings and homeless.

Also I'm hearing Ballard is becoming Seattle's Skid row. I feel bad for homeowners who have spent so much money only to have to deal with that.

Where are the police to enforce this? Maybe Inslee is too focused on the virus to notice the homeless problem ramping up.
That's not what posters said on another Seattle thread recently. They said there are homeless encampments around the Northgate area. This isn't what my former neighbors say, over on the east side of the Northgate area, who run a neighborhood watch program. They said "our" little neighborhood hasn't changed. But apparently some other parts of N'gate have, especially closer to the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area