Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 PM

8,158 posts, read 8,221,361 times

Advertisements

Article link here. https://crosscut.com/2020/05/seattle...ional-district

“She was just a toddler at the time, but Monyee Chau vividly remembers sitting on the counter of Chau’s Family Seafood Restaurant at the corner of Jackson Street and Fourth Avenue in Seattle’s Chinatown-International District. She recalls neighborhood characters popping in and out, the sound of people speaking Cantonese. Her memories arrive in clear snippets: “Big fish tanks with crazy fish and really interesting seafood,” Chau remembers. In the back, a huge table to hold big family meals. “My grandpa in the little window where he [took] the orders.

The restaurant would forever tether Chau, now 24 and a local multimedia artist, to the neighborhood, to the Chinese seafood specialties featured in her artwork, and to the people who have made the Chinatown-International District what it is today.

But after coronavirus-related closures and a surge in anti-Asian racism sent the neighborhood reeling, the idyllic images of Chau’s youth seemed from a faraway past. And then Chau noticed the hateful stickers.
In mid-April, a Chinatown-International District restaurant owner witnessed a group of men with dark sunglasses and face coverings plastering stickers with slogans like “America First” and “Better dead than red” in the neighborhood. The Seattle Police Department’s Bias Crimes Unit is investigating.

“It goes back to the same rhetoric that white folks have used about China and communism and the ‘Chinese virus,’” Chau says, “stigmatizing all of us again.

Below the slogans, the stickers bore a link to the website for Patriot Front, a white nationalist hate group, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
“It made me feel super unsafe,” Chau says. “White supremacists could be literally your neighbor.”
For a while, it was all Chau could think about. She felt deflated and scared and became “really, really worried for a lot of the elders out here.” But then, she says, a sense of responsibility (followed by creativity) kicked in. Inspired by Chinese protective charms, Chau designed a poster with a message for her neighbors in fiery red letters: “Chinatown, Filipinotown, Japantown, Little Saigon were all built on resilience. We will survive this, too.”

“I wanted to counteract these stickers that were so misinformed, so xenophobic,” Chau says, “[and] share that our community has been built on love and on growth and healing.”
Thanks to Chau — and volunteers armed with buckets of wheat paste and staple guns — hundreds of “Resiliency Posters” have appeared all over the neighborhood. The image has traveled the country digitally. Dozens of people have downloaded a PDF version of the poster from Chau’s website, in some cases to be printed and put up in other Chinatowns across the U.S.
While the recent appearance of racist propaganda in her neighborhood inspired her poster project, Chau’s mission to honor the history and vibrancy of Chinatowns is a longer-term project.

Her recent work includes a brief history of Chinatowns in America (“and the racism that built them”), which she styled as a bright pink takeout menu. “We have over 50 locations in America” the flyer proclaims. “Open: 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even on Christmas and Thanksgiving.”
When she posted a photo of the piece on Twitter in early May, it went viral, with more than 18,000 likes and thousands of retweets. Teachers messaged her to ask if they could use it to talk to their students about the history of Chinatowns. Chau says many people don’t know the neighborhoods arose in the 1800s as the only place Chinese immigrants were able to find housing, community and relative safety from attacks and discrimination in the U.S. (She hopes to visit them all someday as part of an art project.)

“[Chinatown] allowed immigrants to have a place to survive and thrive,” Chau says. “I want to preserve their history. I want to protect them.”
Seattle’s Chinatown-International District isn’t just a memory or concept she wants to protect for others. It’s where her own grandparents made a home and built several businesses after immigrating to the U.S. from Hong Kong in the late 1970s. It’s where she lives, eats, makes art and finds community.
Today, much of Chau’s visual artwork pays homage to her ancestors' food and traditions. On her arm, a shrimp tattoo forever memorializes having grown up, as she puts it, a “restaurant baby.” Right below, the cleaver knife her grandfather cooked with gets an honorary spot, as well as the chicken feet her grandmother “could put away faster than anyone.” Plus, that one phrase of love, “你食咗飯未?,” she heard over and over: “Have you eaten yet?”
In her 2017 installation “A Day's Work of Labor and Love: Xiaolong bao,” which she created at Pilchuck Glass School, trios of ethereal sculpted glass dumplings sit in bamboo steamers like fragile puffs of clouds. The work, Chau says, is a tribute to her ama (grandmother) and cooking as a labor of love and form of communication in families of color.
In Chau's two-dimensional work, Chinese iconography often makes an appearance. Her vitreographs and posters burst with pops of red, and in a zine shown at Bellevue Arts Museum last year, she tells stories of the Chinese zodiac”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 PM

15,677 posts, read 6,383,445 times
Hopefully the police can track down the miscreants. I like to believe it's only a small portion of the local population that are engaging in that type of hateful behavior; but there are some racist hives in the vicinity (see the link below). Seeing politicians exploit racist tendencies in some Americans is just repulsive, but still it happens. I don't think it should ever be tolerated.

SPLC Hate Map

Old 05-21-2020, 10:49 PM

387 posts, read 353,574 times
The Pacific Northwest has been a popular area for white nationalists/extremists for quite a while. A lot of them fantasize about starting their new white nation here. There was a guy who died a little while back who moved to Washington from the South to start his little project. I don't know who's running that now but, yeah, lot of neo-Nazi types around here.

The problem with their thinking, however, is that Old World white nations are predominantly populated by specific white ethnic groups, e.g., Swedes, English, Germans, Italians, etc. What they are proposing, a mix of white ethnic groups creating a new "homeland" on colonized land, is unprecedented and completely self-centered. What about all the other people here? If any white ethnic group has a right to that in America, it would be the Anglo settlers who founded the current government of this country and drafted its political system, i.e, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. But the people in these white nationalist groups are not all Anglo. A lot of them are Eastern, Southern or other Europeans who were not involved in the founding of the current American nation as we know it. I'm speaking strictly about white people, and arguing the logic of white nationalism in America. Even if one were to play devil's advocate with what they are proposing, it doesn't make sense. But, in reality, America was built by all kinds of people from different racial backgrounds who were already here before English colonization or brought here forcefully, or who have been immigrating here for the last few hundred years.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:37 AM

A couple other bias incidents, both happened in Seattle:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...irus-pandemic/

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...investigating/

Old 05-25-2020, 10:24 AM

92 posts, read 115,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Tbut, yeah, lot of neo-Nazi types around here.
Yes, that is the first thing anyone thinks about when they picture Seattle. If only there was a thriving gay community, significant asian population, and ultra-liberal-bordering-on-absurd mentality there.

Seriously, I can't tell if you are trolling or just stupid. Or both.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS_151 View Post
Yes, that is the first thing anyone thinks about when they picture Seattle. If only there was a thriving gay community, significant asian population, and ultra-liberal-bordering-on-absurd mentality there.

In Washington State there are a lot. Seattle has fewer than the surrounding areas but they're here too.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,186,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS_151 View Post

People who go looking for racism seem to find it anywhere via mental gymnastics

Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM

230 posts, read 223,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
People who go looking for racism seem to find it anywhere via mental gymnastics
I bet there are more Marxists in the PNW than there are neo-nazis in all 50 states combined.

Quote:
SPLC Hate Map
I am not disputing that there are some number of racists to be found anywhere, but the SPLC is not a reliable source of information. They have been sued for defamation an unbelievable number of times, and lost. That's an extraordinary accomplishment in the United States where it's extremely difficult to prove defamation.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,113,138 times
It seems odd, that they would assume that Chinese are from the PRC. "Better dead than red"? So, they've never heard of Taiwan or Hong Kong? Who are these idiots?

I think someone should save those stickers, and use them in smear-campaign ads against the Repub. candidate.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 PM

15,677 posts, read 6,383,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
I bet there are more Marxists in the PNW than there are neo-nazis in all 50 states combined.
You'd be badly wrong about that. 22 million people in the US support neo-nazis. The population of Washington is 7.6 million. How many of those are Marxists? A few thousand?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7907091.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: