Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times

Advertisements

Ahem, if I may interject my measly $0.02, based on experience and observations...

I didn’t know about the ‘Seattle Freeze’ moniker, nor its historical Scandinavian presence until recently (from CD, in fact). I think the latter contributes to the perception of the former, due to certain cultural and innate traits of Scandinavians in general. Growing up amongst a similar demographic in MN a long time ago, I noticed similar behaviors and heard similar complaints there.

I think in both cases, this is partly due to the tendency for Scandinavians - and those Americans of that heritage, to share similar cultural traits- to be introverts, loners, and confrontation and conflict-adverse (passive-aggressive ‘Minnesota Nice’.) The more extroverted ones are less likely to seek new, outside friends once they have formed their inner circle of childhood friends and family (insular), and the more introverted ones have little desire to do so. And this is further amplified by the gloomy climate that dominates both areas - but more so in Seattle.

(Btw, I think I would fit well in the Seattle area under those conditions)

Last edited by mingna; 05-31-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Ahem, if I may interject my measly $0.02, based on experience and observations...

I didn’t know about the ‘Seattle Freeze’ moniker, nor its historical Scandinavian presence until recently (from CD, in fact). I think the latter contributes to the perception of the former, due to certain cultural and innate traits of Scandinavians in general. Growing up amongst a similar demographic in MN a long time ago, I noticed similar behaviors and heard similar complaints there.

I think in both cases, this is partly due to the tendency for Scandinavians - and those Americans of that heritage, to share similar cultural traits- to be introverts, loners, and confrontation and conflict-adverse (passive-aggressive ‘Minnesota Nice’.) The more extroverted ones are less likely to seek new, outside friends once they have formed their inner circle of childhood friends and family (insular), and the more introverted ones have little desire to do so. And this is further amplified by the gloomy climate that dominates both areas - but more so in Seattle.

(Btw, I think I would fit well in the Seattle area under those conditions)

As a person who was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds and of Scandanavian heritage, I would totally agree with the above description in each and every aspect of it. I do think that people of the Scandanavian heritage who fit this description to a tee in the great Pacific Northwest can learn, can learn how to interact with people and learn to be more friendly people. The type of people who welcome friends. I think it can be done in their native Pacific NW, too.

I am today not the same person I started out as - for one thing my Mom was very friendly to people and loved to make new friends. My Dad was more inward but because of his work as a Teacher, A&W Drive-In owner/operator and finally as a General Contractor, he grew as a communicator big-time and a teacher and builder. So I grew up making friends in Edmonds, good, solid friends who I loved.

Long-time facets of one's personality can be dealt with and changed. Sometimes it happens naturally as one ages and goes through their life. But I do agree that mingna's description above is very, very true and very, very accurate of Seattle's founders, the Scandanavian people.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:00 PM

719 posts, read 987,426 times
Seattle sucks, but Washington State is an amazing place. Hawaii is fake and has unbelievable amounts of racial tension just brewing beneath the surface. I wouldn't want to be there when it finally boils over.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:53 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Hawaii is fake and has unbelievable amounts of racial tension just brewing beneath the surface. I wouldn't want to be there when it finally boils over.
As a mixed blood who spends part of the time there, I certainly have to agree

Old 06-01-2020, 12:10 AM

289 posts, read 311,607 times
Seattle is trying to hate whites as much as Hawaii. We'd love to migrate back to the WA peninsula (grew up there) but so many miserable sanctimonious trolls. As a family of color who doesn't protest we're just so confused. At least Idaho hasn't been lost to that nonsense yet.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:36 AM

606 posts, read 419,500 times
I've been to Hawaii twice and after being here for a little over a year, prefer Seattle. While Hawaii has the nice weather, that's really the only pro. A lot of things are old and rundown there. It's quite similar to nyc in a few ways but on a much smaller scale. Unless one is upper middle class your standard of living decreases greatly. Hawaii in general has very few opportunities and a lot of the locals itch to flee to the mainland. That should tell you something.

I am also not white and haven't had trouble here. In fact, I've experienced less racism than somewhere far more diverse like in nyc. People I've met are friendly. The weather isn't bad. And I too have lost weight since moving here. The food is very healthy and very high quality. The only thing I dislike is the homeless problem, but Hawaii has an issue with that too (to be fair they seem only slightly more active in keeping them away from public areas).

Hawaii is also very overpriced and super expensive. You simply won't get a lot of bang for your buck unless again, you are rich. Seattle does have great opportunities for anyone wanting to find them and not just in tech. Things might be far different however, but it's done fairly good for a city of this size.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 AM

142 posts, read 294,176 times
Ugh, I know that soggy feeling. I went camping in the Caribbean one year and it rained every single day the whole time I was there. Tent soaked, ground soaked, me soaked. Mosquitos everywhere. After 10 days of that I finally left and went to another Island where the weather was beautiful. Go figure?! I went crazy after 10 days, I can only imagine living through 7 years of weather like that. No way. Go, and enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
Ugh, I know that soggy feeling. I went camping in the Caribbean one year and it rained every single day the whole time I was there. Tent soaked, ground soaked, me soaked. Mosquitos everywhere. After 10 days of that I finally left and went to another Island where the weather was beautiful. Go figure?! I went crazy after 10 days, I can only imagine living through 7 years of weather like that. No way. Go, and enjoy the rest of your life.
I had to chuckle at the OP's complaint about the rain in Seattle, which only gets an average of 38" (we get 60" in Sammamish and love it here).

We have been to Oahu and Maui, and in both cases experienced heavy rain. As it turns out, Oahu only gets 22" average but that's not that much less than Seattle's 38". Maui averages 400" in some places, Kauai 460".

Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

351 posts, read 342,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had to chuckle at the OP's complaint about the rain in Seattle, which only gets an average of 38" (we get 60" in Sammamish and love it here).

We have been to Oahu and Maui, and in both cases experienced heavy rain. As it turns out, Oahu only gets 22" average but that's not that much less than Seattle's 38". Maui averages 400" in some places, Kauai 460".
It's not the volume of rain that gets people, it's the constant drizzle/misting.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
If she lived in Seattle for 7 years I don't blame her for being over it. I lived on the east coast for nearly 6 years as a non-native to the region and now don't understand why anybody would bother with that part of the country either, but part of it also was that I was just tired of it and needed a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area