Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 02:49 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
New gun owners should join the NRA to learn gun safety and laws. I guarantee liberals who previously demonized the organization will sing a different tune.
Funny how that works when it suddenly affects them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
New gun owners should join the NRA to learn gun safety and laws. I guarantee liberals who previously demonized the organization will sing a different tune.
I have always supported both the right to bear arms AND gun restrictions. I believe in MODERATION, which is why I've always considered myself a MODERATE (left-leaning moderate).

I have no intention of joining the NRA. Don't need that in my life. I know people in the community that own and use guns and belong to a local gun range and I'm sure they will be glad to help me find local resources.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Painful? My lord....get out the shmores.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
I was talking with a friend the other day who mentioned that gun ownership restrictions have probably been set back by a decade. I have to say that the gun control crowd has not thought this through very well.
By coincidence, I've bought and sold various weapons this year, including several requiring Fed-level permits. Just worked out that way in terms of timing. Rifles, pistols, some sold and others bought, about even I think.

One rifle purchase went through after I-1639 took effect. Provisions of that are in TABLE, below. Oddly, as a 2nd Amendment supporter, while I rolled my eyes at the provisions, none were heinous. Yes, I ponied up another $20, some sort of tax (who cares). Yes, waited an extra ten days (so what). Took a safety course, with a cert. from a legitimate provider of training for $25 (oh please). It was interesting, I didn't hold the training against anyone (so what, again).

I store all my weapons on my person, or in a quite-strong and fire proof safe, or otherwise locked down reasonably. No problem (so what) to that. Weapons owners without a sturdy safe are begging for trouble and prosecution.

As Bergun mentioned up-thread, many or most local gun stores are cleaned out, damn near. One in particularhas been open throughout to limited foot traffic. I know these guys well, for a decade. At their shop, for sure: If it's not nailed down, it's sold at this point. Ammo is few and far between, nationally. So much for gun control, to OP's point.

As for "gun restrictions," I-1639 was and is annoying, worthless, but at least not too heinous. Might be good for those on-thread new to shooting, and you have no choice in certain circumstances. AFTER, they then need real training, but let's save that topic for another day.

TABLE
  • Enhanced background check and waiting period requirements for the purchase or transfer of semiautomatic assault rifles. Click here for more information on background checks.
  • Training requirements to purchase a semiautomatic assault rifle. Click here for more information on training requirements.
  • Criminal liability for failure to safely secure a firearm under certain conditions. Click here for more information on storage requirements.
  • Safety warning and safe storage requirements for dealers. Click here for more information on storage requirements for dealers

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 06-11-2020 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Has any body heard what the cops there think about this? My guess is retirements will go way up. I feel real bad for the normal sane residents of Seattle. You have no one in charge there and no one to protect you.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:34 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Has any body heard what the cops there think about this? My guess is retirements will go way up. I feel real bad for the normal sane residents of Seattle. You have no one in charge there and no one to protect you.
It's very undeserved and frustrating.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I feel much safer now....

Old 06-14-2020, 10:04 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Liberals are reacting to the current situation in a manner that history is going to judge very harshly. Reality takes no prisoners when it butts up against unhinged idealism.

I'm going to love watching the spin the first time a social worker with approximately zero experience in deescalating a situation with an armed domestic aggressor is gunned down.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't there more than a little cultural appropriation going on there? I thought that was bayd....

Old 06-14-2020, 10:14 AM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Citing a 'painful week' for Seattle, mayor outlines changes to policing policy

Nothing about how to handle violent anarchists?

Cool

Old 06-18-2020, 03:49 PM

40 posts, read 19,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It's startling how swiftly we went from justice for a single, minority man in Minneapolis to completely overhauling the way police are allowed to interface with large, angry and aggressive crowds in Seattle.

All of this is being done reactively.

The stage could be being set for some very, very awful consequences.

This has done great harm for me as a left of center moderate. I cried a whole bunch when those kids got mowed down by Adam Lanza, but here I am less than 10 years later about ready to go get trained and armed by the right given to me under the 2nd Amendment.

Self-preservation.
I think a lot people are realizing how important the 2nd Amendment is after all.

Many people were left on their own during the recent turmoil in cities across the U.S. No police. Mobs roaming at-will across entire cities and into suburbs. No police.

At a minimum, you need a gun in your home and, like you state, get trained and registered etc.

Now the same local leadership mentality in these cities that permitted wholesale destruction are appeasing the mob with police defunding moves.

Get a gun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area