Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 PM

268 posts, read 358,123 times

Advertisements

No temps or contract workers at all .Most have been in place for 10 years.
One other point. I’m not talking about making friends but simply being polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
No temps or contract workers at all .Most have been in place for 10 years.
One other point. I’m not talking about making friends but simply being polite.
Get out while you can. That’s my non politically correct opinion. Life is way too short for the icy social climate of WA state. Even Montana is much friendlier. And nature isn’t everything. Human warmth is.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 06-30-2020 at 10:33 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 05:57 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Is this a tech job?

I'm not in tech, don't have this problem. Seattle is 60% transplants at this point, the Seattle Freeze is a myth, at least it can't be blamed on the locals.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 AM

No absolutely not tech but direhard retail. To confirm there were almost no transplants. My team were all locals .

Old 07-01-2020, 10:01 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Hi yaya, sorry it didn't work out for you. Where are you considering a move to?
San Diego would be on my list, Denver, Tucson, Santa Fe, maybe Reno?

Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Don't blame the city, OP. You ended up at a toxic workplace.

I worked at one once (it had different issues but the effect was the same). On my first day co-worker told me that people often quit after only a week or two. I didn't believe her but she was right. I lasted just five weeks, but I saw a couple of others come and go while I was there. This was a workplace culture issue, not a city issue.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Don't blame the city, OP. You ended up at a toxic workplace.

I worked at one once (it had different issues but the effect was the same). On my first day co-worker told me that people often quit after only a week or two. I didn't believe her but she was right. I lasted just five weeks, but I saw a couple of others come and go while I was there. This was a workplace culture issue, not a city issue.
I am not blaming the city ( I find Seattle stunningly beautiful).
This said, I have " held " the same job domain for over 20 years and have worked in 4 states . I am simply saying that my encounter with locals- not transplants was very cold. I could go into details: ex: when I applied for a job in Healthcare prior to my retail experience, during the interview I was directly asked " Another person from California? why are you looking here? We are full"

Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Hi yaya, sorry it didn't work out for you. Where are you considering a move to?
San Diego would be on my list, Denver, Tucson, Santa Fe, maybe Reno?
Honestly, I would go ANYWHERE... I worked in San D and LA among others but am very open to 90% of the states.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Get out while you can. That’s my non politically correct opinion. Life is way too short for the icy social climate of WA state. Even Montana is much friendlier. And nature isn’t everything. Human warmth is.
I will go wherever a job takes me. Just would like to insist that I was able to work in any political environment. I have gotten along and respected people who are both hard right to hard left. Politics was never an issue. My issue in Seattle is the coldness, and lack of politeness that I have observed more often than not. I am not even talking about friendships but just beginner politeness.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Also, you mentioned starting last December. Beginning of winter. Then the virus anxiety hit last week of February and nothing has been the same ever since.

Might be really bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area