Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 01:17 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What happens when you call 911 and nobody comes?
Make an appointment to get a social worker to come out and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:49 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
What happens when you call 911 and nobody comes?
Simple, don’t call 911, just shoot center mass until the perp is on ice

Old 07-15-2020, 08:31 PM

15,828 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Yes, one can almost expect a leap in vigilantism. When will we have our first batman sighting, I wonder?

Old 07-16-2020, 10:49 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
On the television news there was a story about a city in California. The city was in financial distress, and basically laid off half of the police department-leading to a big jump in crime.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:42 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Yes, one can almost expect a leap in vigilantism. When will we have our first batman sighting, I wonder?
Defending yourself when you’re on your own is hardly what I’d call vigilantism, although i am open to a batman scenario

Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Is this "virtue signaling" by the Seattle City Council?

Old 07-16-2020, 02:02 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Seattle is already a laughing stock after the CHAZ/CHOP fiasco and now it wants another gold medal.
Remember when it just the Seahawks that was the laughing stock? Lol

Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Defending yourself when you’re on your own is hardly what I’d call vigilantism, although i am open to a batman scenario
Really? Look what is happening in Missouri, with the couple who drew weapons on a mob. I personally believe that those threatened shouldn’t be prosecuted. Repeated threats of physical harm uttered by the mob does constitute an assault under the law (borrowing a turn of phrase from Gregg Jarrett at Fox News "opinion"). The same is true here in WA.

I assume a prosecutor in Missouri is going after "brandishing" which is definitely a crime both here, there, and come to think of it: everywhere. As it should be. Purpose of brandishing is intimidate and force compliance, unreasonably (don't quote me on that, my understanding). In this case, though, with a mob bearing down, I'm "assuming" a reasonable grand jury will tell that DA to go back to his books, based on the evidence I'm seen. Why police have "seized" homeowner's rifle, I dunno and really hope there was some sort of good reason. While I don't like it per se, my 'papers are in order' for my firearm(s).

Being an objectively well-to-do home owner like the McCloskeys, searching my heart (and my decided lack of criminal record other than a parking ticket), I'd have done the same thing, ONLY in fear of my physical safety. Never mind my property, which may (or may not) be a sketchier defense. That mob smashed down their gate. If I thought next stop was my front door, I'd have been at it on the porch. That's as 'reasonable' as it gets, people. Oh, and that's what they did, appears to me?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/st-l...-gregg-jarrett

Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 AM

4,902 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Really? Look what is happening in Missouri, with the couple who drew weapons on a mob. I personally believe that those threatened shouldn’t be prosecuted. Repeated threats of physical harm uttered by the mob does constitute an assault under the law (borrowing a turn of phrase from Gregg Jarrett at Fox News "opinion"). The same is true here in WA.

I assume a prosecutor in Missouri is going after "brandishing" which is definitely a crime both here, there, and come to think of it: everywhere. As it should be. Purpose of brandishing is intimidate and force compliance, unreasonably (don't quote me on that, my understanding). In this case, though, with a mob bearing down, I'm "assuming" a reasonable grand jury will tell that DA to go back to his books, based on the evidence I'm seen. Why police have "seized" homeowner's rifle, I dunno and really hope there was some sort of good reason. While I don't like it per se, my 'papers are in order' for my firearm(s).

Being an objectively well-to-do home owner like the McCloskeys, searching my heart (and my decided lack of criminal record other than a parking ticket), I'd have done the same thing, ONLY in fear of my physical safety. Never mind my property, which may (or may not) be a sketchier defense. That mob smashed down their gate. If I thought next stop was my front door, I'd have been at it on the porch. That's as 'reasonable' as it gets, people. Oh, and that's what they did, appears to me?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/st-l...-gregg-jarrett

This is why I will not get involved in defending a person being attacked or threaten with a likely attack... The only exceptions are for kids and the elderly.

I've seen too many times in my life were the courts AND the public have turned on the person trying to help a victim of crime AND some how, the tables are turned AND people start to feel sorry for the criminal. And due to the current political climate of hate/distrust toward the police, MANY off-duty/not being paid/off the clock/on vacation... etc., law enforcement officers will no longer get involved in stopping a crime, in their presence. The reason is that there is a better than a good chance you will end up in prison and loose everything you have... For trying to be a good citizen and human being when you are not legally required to do so, by ANY law or regulation.

Which is another downside to all the anti-police talk, cuz now, the people lost the ability of somebody possibly being able to help out in a critical event BEFORE an On-Duty officer arrives.

Also, there has been a major uptick in gun purchases and I only hope that people get some type of training AND know the law(s) of carrying a firearm AND the liability of using it. The only thing I know is that crime, especially violent crimes, will be on the rise in the Seattle area. The police have now been placed in the box of the "Damned if you do AND Damned if you don't," which they effectively chose the "don't" for liability reasons and with a major cut in their budget, good luck in having a cop respond in less than 10-15 minutes AFTER a serious criminal attack... To take the report.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it will be an interesting few years ahead of us since our new reality is now receiving far less police services for your tax dollars... Who seriously "thinks" that their taxes will go down or stay the same?? The fact is, that your taxes will soon be going up, again.

Also, criminals are smart, they already see the patterns and are getting ready to basically act without fear of any police involvement. Also, you can say good bye to the downtown areas of Seattle since the criminal elements will take over the entire area and basically controlling it as well...Good bye to the few remaining businesses down there, especially if the Pike Place Market goes under. And if Amazon gives Seattle the finger and move their operations outside of Seattle's city limits, the city will receive a major knock-out blow to its revenue of taxes and fees collections.

I'm just curious of what's going to fail next in Seattle? Sorry, due to the past trends, over the last five years, I do not see anything positive happening anytime soon that will help out the Working Middle-Class.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:45 AM

So far, over the years as a Seattle resident, I have experienced:

1. One burglary of my home.

2. An attempt to hot wire my car.

3. The kicking in of one car door, with the shoe leaving a footprint in dirt.

4. The destruction of the rear window of my car. By, I suspect, a thrown rock while I was driving away from the Broadview library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area