Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 02:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,252,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I don't disagree with you but there are also a number of mellow neighborhoods on the South End: Seward Park, Mount Baker, Rainier Beach near the lake and most parts of Colombia City. I've had clients move to all this places and do just fine. I'm just making the point that there are good spots and not so good spots in any city. Sorry your area is having a tough time.

What makes some areas good, and how can you be confident that they will remain "good"? Are they not under the same government as the "bad" areas? What if the "peaceful protesters" choose a "good" neighborhood to destroy? Do the police defend those "good" neighborhoods? When the police lose a huge chunk of their funding, are those the neighborhoods they will continue to protect? What if the city council chooses your good neighborhood for a safe injection site or a homeless encampment? Will the neighborhood still be good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,216,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
What makes some areas good, and how can you be confident that they will remain "good"? Are they not under the same government as the "bad" areas? What if the "peaceful protesters" choose a "good" neighborhood to destroy? Do the police defend those "good" neighborhoods? When the police lose a huge chunk of their funding, are those the neighborhoods they will continue to protect? What if the city council chooses your good neighborhood for a safe injection site or a homeless encampment? Will the neighborhood still be good?
Good questions, I’m just talking about how things are now and have been historically. One thing that absolutely helps these places is that they are geographically a few miles from the freeway and the city core.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:49 AM

439 posts, read 420,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,653,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
Are you familiar with governmental accounting? Do you understand the budget process for the various cities, counties, etc? Are you familiar with appropriations, expenditures, tax base, etc?

Because if you did you wouldn't ask what you did. Check this out-

MRSC - Budget Preparation Procedures for Counties

And then this-

https://www.cbpp.org/research/policy...t%20commission.
Thank you for your non-response that doesn't address it.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:53 AM

3,191 posts, read 2,451,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Fassopony, is this what you are after?:

Here you go:
https://ofm.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...s_revenues.pdf

Has the values for 2016 and since these things don't last forever in the same online location I've extracted the data and put it below. Ranked by revenue generated by each county for the state, and lists the amount of money they get back per dollar.

Report title:
State Expenditures and Revenues by County: Fiscal Year 2016
November 2019, OFM Forecasting and Research Division

County_____Revenue ($thousands) // 2016 Expenditures to Revenues
King_________ 8041.9 0.63
Snohomish____ 1826.8 1.02
Pierce_______ 1804.4 1.28
Spokane______ 1052.9 1.33
Clark________ 869.7 1.43
Thurston_____ 569.1 1.24
Whatcom______ 483.1 1.04
Kitsap_______ 481.3 1.30
Benton_______ 467.7 1.18
Yakima_______ 431.0 1.92
Skagit_______ 345.7 0.92
Chelan_______ 219.6 0.95
Cowlitz______ 202.9 1.47
Grant________ 200.4 1.49
Franklin_____ 157.5 1.75
Lewis________ 145.1 1.42
Clallam______ 128.9 1.44
Island_______ 128.4 1.22
Grays_Harbor_ 112.1 1.71
Walla_Walla__ 107.4 1.50
Kittitas_____ 102.5 0.99
Douglas______ 91.5 1.22
Mason________ 77.7 1.88
Whitman______ 77.4 1.27
Okanogan_____ 68.1 2.07
San_Juan_____ 58.5 0.53
Jefferson____ 57.7 1.00
Stevens______ 53.4 2.00
Klickitat____ 41.7 1.20
Asotin_______ 33.5 1.73
Adams________ 33.3 1.98
Pacific______ 31.5 1.67
Pend_Oreille_ 17.6 1.73
Skamania_____ 15.7 1.40
Lincoln______ 15.1 1.92
Ferry________ 10.0 1.72
Columbia_____ 7.8 1.24
Garfield_____ 4.8 1.26
Wahkiakum____ 4.8 1.78
Thank-you got this data. I didn’t realize Whatcom County was so high on the list. I think it will fall this year as we rely on Canadian shoppers who are not here due to closed border.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:00 AM

439 posts, read 420,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Thank you for your non-response that doesn't address it.
I don't have the time or the inclination to spoon feed you accounting and budget knowledge

But, in very simple terms. VERY simple- you saying King Co "makes more" in tax revenue is just like saying Amazon "makes more" in tax revenue. The majority of it belongs to the state, not the specific location it is collected. No one is "making" more, they are merely to collect it and turn it in. The state decides where it will spend its money.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:17 PM

3,191 posts, read 2,451,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You might have found something in West Seattle. It might not have had the square footage you wanted, bu you could have found something decent back then, possibly even with some livable basement space.

The problem is, that your property valuations would have been increasing since then, and by the time you're well into retirement, you might not be able to afford the taxes. Unless you could set up a rental in the basement. I always look for rental potential, to cover taxes.
West Seattle? Affordable? My sister sold her home 6 years ago for $560k. It had a view of the Olympics.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:32 PM

102,074 posts, read 107,051,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
West Seattle? Affordable? My sister sold her home 6 years ago for $560k. It had a view of the Olympics.
Well, that's one reason it sold for that kind of money, no-brainer. 5-6 years ago there were plenty of decent places in good locations for $350-$450K. Tidy little 2-br. places w/a bonus room in the basement, that sort of thing. Some even had good basement workshop space. I was looking for a friend, who ran an artisan machine shop in his basement.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,624,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Do you grow all your own food, or do you buy it from the rural Washington counties that provide it??

If you don't have a garden, an orchard, livestock, go hunting and fishing, you better get on it!
I'm all for it. We taxpayers are sending so many billions to farmers that an ear of corn must be $50.00 by now. Farmers do not pay for themselves. They have their hands out federally and statewide. Sorry, but it's true.

‘Here’s your check’: Trump’s massive payouts to farmers will be hard to pull back
The president was already spending double his predecessor to spare farmers the cost of his trade war. Now the price is reaching unsustainable levels.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ailouts-359932

Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 PM

214 posts, read 279,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
To put it bluntly I was gonna move to WA ( from San Diego )because I could find work , get much better pay and eventually join the strong union presence ( building trades) but I’m honestly terrified of the direction the whole PNW is taking.

Things are getting way out of control and the BLM riots are only making it worse.

Not taking a political stance but as a white dude I’m terrified of moving there or any of the major PNW cities.

I just saw a video where recently a guy in Portland was chased down and beaten bloody for sticking up for an old man and another of a man getting beaten for waving an American flag

Here they are

I mean I would love the rainforests , mountains , the sound and the coast but it’s not worth getting killed over just because I’m white , not a liberal or maybe because I have a U.S. Flag sticker somewhere on my truck.

I’m terrified if I move to Seattle I’ll get pulled out of my truck and beaten to death. I’m not exaggerating I’m seriously worried about it.

So much ive just been looking at moving to Texas or possibly Arizona.

I can’t believe the cowardly politicians allow this. How is this not domestic terrorism ? Beating people bloody because they don’t agree with you ?

I know these happened in Portland but be real , I could find plenty of examples in Seattle.

Do people who live there really hate white people this much ? Or anyone who isn’t a super progressive ?

Not trying to encite An argument , I’ve never been to the PNW so I don’t know how bad it really is
Thats old. Happened a couple of months ago when protesting first started This sounds more like trolling. A white guy saying he's scared to go to a predominately white city because he's scared the other whites who are protesting there will beat him for being white. Doh k. Not believable. This is probably really a black guy trolling

Last edited by underated9; 07-25-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area