Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:45 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There's lots of great places to live in Washington outside of Seattle. And the further you get from Seattle, the more diverse and balanced the politics are. These are crazy times, but typically we coexist pretty well.
Seattle always reminded me of San Francisco. Only that it rains alot more in Seattle than SF. More green up in the state of Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:06 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
There's lots of great places to live in Washington outside of Seattle. And the further you get from Seattle, the more diverse and balanced the politics are. These are crazy times, but typically we coexist pretty well.
What Diana said. Try other areas along the I5 corridor. Whatcom and Skagit counties for refinery work if you get into industrial electric work. The rest of us ignore Seattle. It is digging its own grave.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
What Diana said. Try other areas along the I5 corridor. Whatcom and Skagit counties for refinery work if you get into industrial electric work. The rest of us ignore Seattle. It is digging its own grave.
The rest of the state may ignore Seattle but they sure like taking the $3Billion a year Seattle gives them because they can't pay their own bills and they need King County's tax money to do it.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:43 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The rest of the state may ignore Seattle but they sure like taking the $3Billion a year Seattle gives them because they can't pay their own bills and they need King County's tax money to do it.

You always say this about the tax structure of WA... Tell me, how would you solve this problem if you could?

Old 07-20-2020, 07:05 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
To put it bluntly I was gonna move to WA ( from San Diego )because I could find work , get much better pay and eventually join the strong union presence ( building trades) but I’m honestly terrified of the direction the whole PNW is taking.

Things are getting way out of control and the BLM riots are only making it worse.

Not taking a political stance but as a white dude I’m terrified of moving there or any of the major PNW cities.

I just saw a video where recently a guy in Portland was chased down and beaten bloody for sticking up for an old man and another of a man getting beaten for waving an American flag

Here they are

I mean I would love the rainforests , mountains , the sound and the coast but it’s not worth getting killed over just because I’m white , not a liberal or maybe because I have a U.S. Flag sticker somewhere on my truck.

I’m terrified if I move to Seattle I’ll get pulled out of my truck and beaten to death. I’m not exaggerating I’m seriously worried about it.

So much ive just been looking at moving to Texas or possibly Arizona.

I can’t believe the cowardly politicians allow this. How is this not domestic terrorism ? Beating people bloody because they don’t agree with you ?

I know these happened in Portland but be real , I could find plenty of examples in Seattle.

Do people who live there really hate white people this much ? Or anyone who isn’t a super progressive ?

Not trying to encite An argument , I’ve never been to the PNW so I don’t know how bad it really is
My daughter lives a little over an hour north of Seattle. She lives there because it is beautiful, she's on the water. She doesn't go into Seattle anymore because of safety concerns. She has never experienced any racism in her community north of Seattle. She can't however make it known that she is not a loonie leftist, so keep your mouth shut. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
To echo other posts here, Seattle's recent unrest is only happening in some isolated areas. The city itself remains safe.
And yes, the media likes to pump up the story as if the entire city is burning. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And Seacove...you just don't quit with this concept that Seattle is paying for the entire state. Not true. Show more specific stats please.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:10 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
^^^ Seacove is correct. With 39 counties, roughly half of the entire Washington state budget revenue comes from King County alone.

State Expenditures & Revenues by County
https://ofm.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...s_revenues.pdf

Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So ignoring all the dire predictions of terrifying protests and coming anyway? What happened to Texas and Arizona? We can't seem to keep people away no matter how hard we try.
Funny, Seacove.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
You always say this about the tax structure of WA... Tell me, how would you solve this problem if you could?
Make each county pay their own bills. If the county can't pay for their own schools, police and infrastructure, they need to join a county that can. $3 BILLION a year to 33 other counties in the state while those same counties take the money while insulting Seattle and King County? King County needs to tell them the money stays in King County, we have our own infrastructure to pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To echo other posts here, Seattle's recent unrest is only happening in some isolated areas. The city itself remains safe.
And yes, the media likes to pump up the story as if the entire city is burning. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And Seacove...you just don't quit with this concept that Seattle is paying for the entire state. Not true. Show more specific stats please.
Come on, you know it's true. Everyone knows it's true.

"Punch line: The entire state is mooching off King County, not the other way around.

It turns out King County taxpayers exported a record $2.95 billion to prop up the state’s other counties in 2016, the most recent year studied, according to OFM. About 37 cents of every dollar of state taxes paid by King County taxpayers was spent elsewhere."

‘Why are we exporting billions of dollars around the state?’ The coming showdown over Seattle’s money
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...eattles-money/

Old 07-20-2020, 08:52 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I wouldn’t move back to Seattle under any circumstances. It’s gone down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area