Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 03:22 PM

36 posts, read 111,561 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are two middle aged (late 40s) gay guys with twin tweens (12 yrs old), possibly relocating from NYC/Brooklyn to the area.

We are very familiar with Seattle, having lived there for 6 yrs in grad school, but would like some more info on inner-ring suburbs as possible relocation targets. We are thinking Mercer Island, Bellevue (Clyde Hill, etc).

Some criteria: good public schools (middle and high), ideally a local commercial area to walk to (think some shops where you can get coffee, simple pantry staples, bread, etc and some restaurants). Would prefer a single family home (we've done apartment living for the past 20 years!). Finally, want to be somewhere where being a gay family isn't going to be a whole *thing*. I'm too old to have to explain myself or talk to teachers in our kids' school. I just want a place where it's no big deal.

Don't yet know where work would be, so more interested in understanding MI and Bellevue as places to live.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 03:54 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
IMO, Schools are fine. Lots of very smart kids in the area.
SFH will be pricey in the areas desired. Seek out a RE agent. Use Zillow/Redfin/local RE website for an idea of pricing and what u want.
GL

Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopecouple View Post
Hi all!

We are two middle aged (late 40s) gay guys with twin tweens (12 yrs old), possibly relocating from NYC/Brooklyn to the area.

We are very familiar with Seattle, having lived there for 6 yrs in grad school, but would like some more info on inner-ring suburbs as possible relocation targets. We are thinking Mercer Island, Bellevue (Clyde Hill, etc).

Some criteria: good public schools (middle and high), ideally a local commercial area to walk to (think some shops where you can get coffee, simple pantry staples, bread, etc and some restaurants). Would prefer a single family home (we've done apartment living for the past 20 years!). Finally, want to be somewhere where being a gay family isn't going to be a whole *thing*. I'm too old to have to explain myself or talk to teachers in our kids' school. I just want a place where it's no big deal.

Don't yet know where work would be, so more interested in understanding MI and Bellevue as places to live.

Thanks!
Money no object, I would live near downtown Kirkland. Fun, yet safe, maybe a little too cool for school. I live in downtown Bellevue and love it here as well.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:57 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Money no object, I would live near downtown Kirkland. Fun, yet safe, maybe a little too cool for school. I live in downtown Bellevue and love it here as well.
Yes, Kirkland's pretty nice with walkways along the lake. Traffic can be a pain though.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:04 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
MI really sleepy. No sidewalks. Getting from southern end of island can take 15min. No more HOV lane benefit.

Bellevue and Kirkland probably better fit. Why not considering the city?

Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopecouple View Post
Hi all!

Thanks!
Hey Slope, We are trying to lure my sister and bro in law out here from Upper West NYC right now, making progress . First, gay family thing just isn't a big deal out here, especially if you are closer in to urban areas. I agree with Kirkland, if you want to live on the Eastside, you couldn't do much better. Don't discard the idea of being on the Seattle side, Madison Park is a gorgeous little walkable village by the water.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Finding a place with your wish for a local commercial area to walk to is impossible in Clyde Hill, nearly so on Mercer Island. Close to Downtown Bellevue or Kirkland would work, both with really good schools. Depending on where you work, Bellevue is more likely to be close to your employer with many employers, and a short hop over the bridge to Seattle. Kirkland is not to far from the 520 bridge to Seattle but has a toll. With our non-Covid commutes, I would find the jobs before buying to keep it as short as possible. On the other hand, many employers will consider making work from home permanent.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:36 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
One possible advantage of Mercer Island over other locations is proximity both to central Seattle and to main eastside communities, especially Bellevue and/or Issaquah. Mercer Island schools are arguably the best in the region, and its "sleepy" reputation is actually rather out of date. "Downtown" MI is increasingly pleasant and walkable; there's still a lot of strip-mall retail from years past, but higher density is happening rapidly. The MI farmers market is very popular - https://mymercerisland.net/wp-conten...161002_276.jpg . The light rail system is being expanded to the eastside, with MI getting a key station. Even so, the current bus access both to downtown Seattle and to other transit hubs like Bellevue, is terrific. Luther Burbank Park in MI is one of the best city parks in Washington State.

Gay families with kids are everywhere in the region; I wouldn't be concerned in your case.

Here's a google street view of a downtown MI scene: https://goo.gl/maps/bcf6o4r24oL5sJsu9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area