Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modern Philosopher View Post
Is Komo a more right leaning source vs the other local news channels? Just surprised they would do anything against Inslee since the region is dominated by pro Inslee folks. Than again Komo does reach further than Seattle Metro area. I think even the Canadians, BC have access to all the Seattle local channels.
Komo leans right.

Turmoil inside KOMO News as conservative owner Sinclair mandates talking points
https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...alking-points/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 11:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Komo is owned by Sinclair, which has been criticized by being right wing. That said, I think they navigate through this pretty well and the viewpoint of the ownership is subdued here, and rightly so. Yes, Sinclair is conservative but they are not stupid. They do indeed adjust to specific market political demographics.

And yes, Seattle stations are on cable in British Columbia.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM

365 posts, read 258,162 times
Watching last night's gubernatorial debate I could not help but notice that Mr. Inslee is very confused. He seems to think he is running against Mr. Trump for President. Surely, by now he must know he lost that race in the Democratic Primaries. He brought up Mr. Trump at least 6 times.

Does anybody really believe the governor's answer about the CHAZ/CHOP? He sounded a lot like Trump at that moment. It's to bad the Republican party in this state is so pathetic. A good candidate could have forced Mr. Inslee to put up or shut up.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Sometimes I'd love to see the whiners and armchair politicians have their day in the sun and actually have to lead the state in it's everyday business dealings. People love to hurl insults, give advice, and generally try to make themselves look as though they have the answers...To every damn issue under the sun. Only a fool would believe that the state is actually "run" by Jay himself, running through the state campus pulling levers, checking gauges, and dialing in the details of the state's economy, our laws, forest fires, street repairs and making hasty decisions on Covid issues.

We know that Inslee has been using hurricanes, floods, and fires, to deflect his critics, yes, he knows how to conjure up those events using Satanic rituals and Democratic party protocols, not to mention he obviously is of reptilian origins and crawls around the statehouse at night looking for bugs to devour. Jay is just the tip of the entire Democratic party problem, a profound lacking of stable geniuses, something the GOP seems to have in spades. Don't forget the hair, Jay's do is a simple one, unlike the dear leader's, whose locks conceal some of the best words, beautiful words, and plenty of them..

Our politics is an embarrassment to any of the thinking populace, crazy angry people, bigoted and biased, impatient and impetuous, stubborn and stupid, and yes, they all think they can run things at the state level, worse, is the fact that they think some punk town, one man police department can turn out a serious candidate for the state's highest office. Maybe when the votes are in, and Culp saddles up for the ride back to his metropolis--empty handed, he can offer his services as a nuclear physicist at Hanford, or go to his garage and create the savior vaccine for the entire town of Republic..

Old 10-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
.To every damn issue under the sun. Only a fool would believe that the state is actually "run" by Jay himself, running through the state campus pulling levers, checking gauges, and dialing in the details of the state's economy, our laws, forest fires, street repairs and making hasty decisions on Covid issues.

You have a good point. The state is not run only by the governor. And there we find another problem.... the state is run by only one party. The lack of a viable Republican alternative means that the Democrats can get lazy and sloppy. And, IMO, they are doing a great job of that. When you are omnipotent, there is no reason to listen to the people, try to feel the pulse of what is going on, and take a good hard look at other points of view. We need to bring back divided government. Both parties need it to stay honest.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
You have a good point. The state is not run only by the governor. And there we find another problem.... the state is run by only one party. The lack of a viable Republican alternative means that the Democrats can get lazy and sloppy. And, IMO, they are doing a great job of that. When you are omnipotent, there is no reason to listen to the people, try to feel the pulse of what is going on, and take a good hard look at other points of view. We need to bring back divided government. Both parties need it to stay honest.
I've lived in Washington for most of my seventy five years, throughout that span I've never seen a really efficient government in Olympia, or Washington DC, or Moscow, China, Japan, or any other place that humans have sought to manage their affairs through any of the theoretical economic isms, or the constructs of government. Thinking that government, or an economic system, can offer us, the low men, any real opportunity, simply ignores the tenets of human nature. I'll vote for the lesser destructive group, one that has, at the least, a history of restraint from the extreme..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/u...extremism.html

I can't attribute the quote, but:
"We actually have a one party system here in America, the business party--made up of the Democrats and Republicans...

Old 10-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/u...extremism.html

I can't attribute the quote, but:
"We actually have a one party system here in America, the business party--made up of the Democrats and Republicans...
Ahh... the NY times. That bastion of ethical, unbiased, objective, political reporting.

I do agree that $$'s are the main issue for both parties. $$'s in their pockets. Not yours or mine.

Last edited by Rombus; 10-11-2020 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 12:04 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
Ahh... the NY times. That bastion of ethical, unbiased, objective, political reporting.

I do agree that $$'s are the main issue for both parties. $$'s in their pockets. Not yours or mine.
NY Times may lean liberal but their stories are usually rigorously researched and fact checked.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:26 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
NY Times may lean liberal but their stories are usually rigorously researched and fact checked.
NYT's majority shareholder is Mexico's richest man.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
NYT's majority shareholder is Mexico's richest man.

Not really.

ABCNEWS:
"NEW YORK -- The New York Times Co. nyt has approved a $250 million investment by Mexican telecommunications billionaire Carlos Slim Helu, a deal that could make him one of the largest shareholders of the Times Co."

From Fintel:

"New York Times Co. (US:NYT) has 734 institutional owners and shareholders that have filed 13D/G or 13F forms with the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC). These institutions hold a total of 229,546,451 shares. Largest shareholders include PARNX - Parnassus Fund Investor Shares, Vanguard Group Inc, BlackRock Inc., Jackson Square Partners, LLC, Darsana Capital Partners LP, Artisan Partners Limited Partnership, Capital World Investors, Jpmorgan Chase & Co, Renaissance Technologies Llc, and Wellington Management Group Llp."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area