Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 03:13 PM

606 posts, read 419,500 times

Advertisements

I just saw this article minutes ago. I understand moving to Phoenix, but why would anyone move to LA or Las Vegas of all places? I also notice all of these places are sunbelt. This has been a pretty gray summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 PM

86 posts, read 60,892 times
I wouldn’t go for any of those cities listed, but I’m planning my King County exodus. Cost of living, mediocre food scene (speaking before COVID-19), and average at best city amenities are my reasons.

I own a home in Philadelphia and have had more fun there than any time spent in Seattle, or its suburbs. Interesting museums, spectacular food scene, walkable, nature’s filled areas and fun people. Seattle streets are dirty and the natural beauty infested with addicts and criminals. There’s also a hostility in Seattle I’ve never encountered in any other place, or city. I have several friends but everyone is from elsewhere and also express many of the same concerns. Dating here is also brutal. I’ve had guy friends ripped apart for complimenting a woman and girl friends that have had tech bro’s offer to paid for adult activities. Not cool to go up to a woman at a festival, or bar and think you can pay for sex.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I’m an attractive woman in my 30s, happily cohabitating with my boyfriend, and jointly bringing in 6 figures but this place still doesn’t have the appeal of other major cities.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
I wouldn’t go for any of those cities listed, but I’m planning my King County exodus. Cost of living, mediocre food scene (speaking before COVID-19), and average at best city amenities are my reasons.

I own a home in Philadelphia and have had more fun there than any time spent in Seattle, or its suburbs. Interesting museums, spectacular food scene, walkable, nature’s filled areas and fun people. Seattle streets are dirty and the natural beauty infested with addicts and criminals. There’s also a hostility in Seattle I’ve never encountered in any other place, or city. I have several friends but everyone is from elsewhere and also express many of the same concerns. Dating here is also brutal. I’ve had guy friends ripped apart for complimenting a woman and girl friends that have had tech bro’s offer to paid for adult activities. Not cool to go up to a woman at a festival, or bar and think you can pay for sex.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I’m an attractive woman in my 30s, happily cohabitating with my boyfriend, and jointly bringing in 6 figures but this place still doesn’t have the appeal of other major cities.
Happy trails!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:13 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
I have lived in seattle for 5 years and still live in Seattle. Im very very happy living in seattle I can't complain. Even though seattle does have crime, druggie and homeless seattle still has alot to offer.

All of my friends are in seattle or Bellevue. My girlfriend loves in seattle/magnolia.

Im a white male in my late 30s.

People who don't like living in seattle should move.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Five years ago i lived in the los angeles area and hated it. I couldn't see myself living in Las Vegas or Phoenix either.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 PM

86 posts, read 60,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I have lived in seattle for 5 years and still live in Seattle. Im very very happy living in seattle I can't complain. Even though seattle does have crime, druggie and homeless seattle still has alot to offer.

All of my friends are in seattle or Bellevue. My girlfriend loves in seattle/magnolia.

Im a white male in my late 30s.

People who don't like living in seattle should move.
As expected. .the gracious warmth of locals

Old 07-27-2020, 07:51 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
As expected. .the gracious warmth of locals
He's a transplant.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
He's a transplant.
After living in seattle for over 5 years would that still be considered a transplant or local?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
After living in seattle for over 5 years would that still be considered a transplant or local?

Anywhere in Washington, you're not a local until you've lived here for 50+ years. I'm also a SoCal transplant, been in Washington twice as long as you.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I just saw this article minutes ago. I understand moving to Phoenix, but why would anyone move to LA or Las Vegas of all places? I also notice all of these places are sunbelt. This has been a pretty gray summer.
Retirees who have put up with a LOT of change and a LOT of Gray Days in their 30-70 yr stay in Seattle, and they want just a bit more SUN!!! and heat, and want to cash in on $500k tax free gains from sell of primary residence. Makes perfect sense for many. Many CA co-workers forced to transfer to WA retained their Prop 13 in CA and 'retired' to LA region (Ventura to San Clemente). They also retained their much higher CA wages during their 20+ yr stay in WA. Win:win for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Anywhere in Washington, you're not a local until you've lived here for 50+ years. I'm also a SoCal transplant, been in Washington twice as long as you.
Only 38 yrs in WA for me, and I certainly am not a 'local', nor do I ever aspire to be.

Of course I can't return to my previous home in mtns of Colorado and be a 'local' either, nor to WY, ID, or MT. Certainly not Oregon !!!

Fortunately, (to avoid my dreary WA home) I did a lot of overseas assignments and business trips (for last 30 yrs), +10 yrs living overseas or Canada with family. So far in 2020 I have spent (9) days in WA (my domicile). That's plenty for an election yr, when I usually am not keen on being stuck in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area