U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:55 PM

8,593 posts, read 6,535,687 times

Advertisements

Capital hill in Seattle makes up about 4 percent of the city area and population. It doesn’t even begin to represent the entire area or population. Yes the media continues to make it sound like the city is burning but nothing is further from the truth.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 03:29 PM

1,144 posts, read 453,283 times
its worse

Old 07-28-2020, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 888 times
Question What about the Seattle U area on Capital Hill?

That's right in the main hotspot area, right? I'm trying to figure out whether to have my son return to live there for (unfortunately another quarter of) online learning (we're from out-of-state), or if this is all just a warm-up for more election season attention? Which would mean his being there may not be a smart idea. Any thoughts or lights to shine for this mom? He's my youngest, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2020, 07:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 435,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaz19 View Post
That's right in the main hotspot area, right? I'm trying to figure out whether to have my son return to live there for (unfortunately another quarter of) online learning (we're from out-of-state), or if this is all just a warm-up for more election season attention? Which would mean his being there may not be a smart idea. Any thoughts or lights to shine for this mom? He's my youngest, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions. Thanks!

As a mom that lives on the east coast with a son that lives in Seattle, I would go with online learning. My son lives in the University District and while it's relatively safe there, his job is one block up from what was the occupied zone and still is a hot spot for violence. I'd give anything to have him move back to the east coast. I fear if President Trump wins reelection, the violence in Democratic run cities will get worse.

Just one mom to another - trust your gut (and your heart).

Old 07-28-2020, 08:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,509,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Space needle pan-o-cam:

https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam

If you're patient enough you'll see the vast span of smoking ruins.
Thanks for the webcam site.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:59 AM

92,267 posts, read 89,713,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
SEATTLE: Is it really that bad in Seattle right now because of the protests or is it just more fake media hype overhyping fake news?
IMO, it's kinda like when foreigners decide to cancel their US vacation, because of riots in LA or NYC, when their itinerary wasn't going to take the anywhere near those areas. In Seattle, the problems are mainly in or near the downtown area. In Seattle's very large north end, where the U of WA is, and just past the northern border--Boeing, life plods on as per usual. Same for much of the rest of the city.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 AM

92,267 posts, read 89,713,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
its worse
Haha, are you kidding? Most Seattle residents wouldn't know anything's going on at all if it weren't for the media barrage. Those without TVs read about it, as if it were taking place in some exotic locale. When the WTO protests were going on downtown in 1999, which was the first time peaceful protests were infiltrated by outside elements from out of state bent on turning the protests violent, no one living and working in the north end knew anything was going on at all. Life was as placid as always. Same with West Seattle, and much of the rest of the city.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:43 PM

8,593 posts, read 6,535,687 times
Here is the deal. Seattle is a big city. Most of the recent disturbances have been in a small area of town, and while some locals are taking part, there is evidence some are outside agitators.

Seattle is mostly populated by sane residents who just want to follow the law and be peaceful. Why the media cranks up this "Seattle riots" attitude is beyond me. Actually, I understand it as they need to have "media excitement". But it is just not representative of most Seattle residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area