Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 PM

91 posts, read 141,521 times

Advertisements

Hi all, what area of Sammamish has the most elementary aged, or middie school aged kids?
Are there pockets where you’ll find a lot of kids playing outside together, etc? I’m sure there are probably some areas that there are a lot of kids but don’t know where these areas are yet. We’re looking for kids around 8-13 as our son is 9.

Any neighborhoods in and around Sammamish we should specifically target? I’m hoping there are specific neighborhood names so when I’m looking for home listings I can search in those areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 01:08 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Join the local Facebook groups for this question. Specifically ones for moms. Not enough parents of young children from Sammamish here on C-D to help pick neighborhoods.

My first time in Issaquah Highlands we drove in and around the side drives going up the neighborhood and I saw a group of boys in a pocket park with a hand painted maypole and thought "this is a dream!". Three months later my two sons joined that group and they stayed together for years. Eventually families moved one by one, ourselves included (we bought a second property in the neighborhood and rent out the first). Now 8 years later the park is like most other neighborhood parks and it's nice, but I don't get that crazy I-hit-the-jackpot feeling. It was more the circumstances of having all those families of boys (including one with five sons!) (mostly) renting at once.

You need boots on the ground people living your phase of life at this moment.

I will say, that in my experience, the kid action happens most around pocket parks surrounded by higher density housing. Not apartments (because unfortunately those introduce other, negative elements). I'm specifically talking townhouses and condos around playgrounds.

I don't know Sammamish well enough to help you. I can only give opinions about Issaquah Highlands.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My neighborhood is just up the hill from Mead Elementary, and yes, there are kids playing in the street on a cul de sac, riding bikes and scooters on the flatter areas. It's also walking distance to East Sammamish Park. These are older homes built 1978-85, and turning over. Typically the original owners are selling to millennials with young kids for the great schools. Mead is rated high(10) but also has a brand new building, though it looks like it won't be occupied much this year. The house across the street just sold for the mid $7ks in 4 days. Other areas with a lot of kids are Heritage Hills, and Hampton Woods, near the back entrance to Sahalee.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhoods in Sammamish-lots of kids-esamm.png  

Old 08-21-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My neighborhood is just up the hill from Mead Elementary, and yes, there are kids playing in the street on a cul de sac, riding bikes and scooters on the flatter areas. It's also walking distance to East Sammamish Park. These are older homes built 1978-85, and turning over. Typically the original owners are selling to millennials with young kids for the great schools. Mead is rated high(10) but also has a brand new building, though it looks like it won't be occupied much this year. The house across the street just sold for the mid $7ks in 4 days. Other areas with a lot of kids are Heritage Hills, and Hampton Woods, near the back entrance to Sahalee.
Thank you! I will check out these areas. Is there a local mom's group on facebook that people are active on? The previous mention about that is a really good idea. I'll go look, but wondered if there is a good one to join to learn about the best area for us. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Join the local Facebook groups for this question. Specifically ones for moms. Not enough parents of young children from Sammamish here on C-D to help pick neighborhoods.

My first time in Issaquah Highlands we drove in and around the side drives going up the neighborhood and I saw a group of boys in a pocket park with a hand painted maypole and thought "this is a dream!". Three months later my two sons joined that group and they stayed together for years. Eventually families moved one by one, ourselves included (we bought a second property in the neighborhood and rent out the first). Now 8 years later the park is like most other neighborhood parks and it's nice, but I don't get that crazy I-hit-the-jackpot feeling. It was more the circumstances of having all those families of boys (including one with five sons!) (mostly) renting at once.

You need boots on the ground people living your phase of life at this moment.

I will say, that in my experience, the kid action happens most around pocket parks surrounded by higher density housing. Not apartments (because unfortunately those introduce other, negative elements). I'm specifically talking townhouses and condos around playgrounds.

I don't know Sammamish well enough to help you. I can only give opinions about Issaquah Highlands.
thanks! that's a great idea. I'll check on a moms group. really good idea.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:20 AM

9 posts, read 13,904 times
Look at new construction neighborhoods. We are in the Highcroft neighborhood. Pretty much every house has school aged kids. My kids play outside with their friends daily. Houses are closer together so it makes it easy to socialize. Walkable to elementary/ middle/high school, pine lake park, grocery stores, library, ymca.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesychocolate View Post
Look at new construction neighborhoods. We are in the Highcroft neighborhood. Pretty much every house has school aged kids. My kids play outside with their friends daily. Houses are closer together so it makes it easy to socialize. Walkable to elementary/ middle/high school, pine lake park, grocery stores, library, ymca.
Thank you, good idea.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdboulder View Post
Thank you! I will check out these areas. Is there a local mom's group on facebook that people are active on? The previous mention about that is a really good idea. I'll go look, but wondered if there is a good one to join to learn about the best area for us. Thanks!
Not just Moms but we participate in the Mead Nextdoor group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area