Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 08:57 PM

243 posts, read 228,671 times

Advertisements

I’m seeing a lot of new construction or high end studios and even some 1 bedroom apartments for 1500-1700$ . Could’ve sworn a month ago it’s was like 2000-2200$.

I feel kind of stupid for not taking that electrical job where the dude offered me union pay for my skill level considering rents are dropping. I’m working again down here in San Diego but it’s just residential. If I could get a good commercial/ industrial apprentice gig up there I think I actually might consider a move up there just get some experience so I could come back down and be in a much better place financially instead of struggling.

It doesn’t matter how far down the toilet Seattle goes , you always need electricians. Even the apprentices too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 6,731 times
Huh? I think it's just unique to the units you happened to see or they are being built cheaper. I doubt average rent dropped but that could change rapidly at any moment.

Or was it not actually in Seattle but in a ghettolicious dump, like Everett or Tukwila? That'd make more sense although I'd make fun of anyone paying even $1000 for a 1 bedroom in places like that. lol The one eyed man in the land of the blind is king. :P

Old 08-22-2020, 09:21 PM

243 posts, read 228,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg9876 View Post
Huh? I think it's just unique to the units you happened to see or they are being built cheaper. I doubt average rent dropped but that could change rapidly at any moment.

Or was it not actually in Seattle but in a ghettolicious dump, like Everett or Tukwila? That'd make more sense although I'd make fun of anyone paying even $1000 for a 1 bedroom in places like that. lol
No, they all had Seattle zip codes but maybe it’s all in the downtown or riot/hobo/ crime ridden areas ?

I’m sure it’s area dependent

I’m sure Bellevue rents havent dropped

I remember a lot of these being in the 2000$+ range mostly unless you wanted a micro ( jail cell) studio

Old 08-22-2020, 10:04 PM

256 posts, read 114,285 times
It seems many people who disparage renting hold the misconception rents always increase when that's not the case. Rent prices are determined by the market. When demand is high and supply is low rents are high or will increase. When supply is higher than demand rent will remain flat or decrease. Right now, it seems many are fleeing the city, so it makes sense that rents will remain flat or decrease.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:17 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Bellevue rents have dropped from what I and several friends have seen. In July they said 1.2 percent drop in Bellevue:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...-nearly-enough

Old 08-23-2020, 09:57 AM

387 posts, read 358,340 times
My lease renewal offer came in recently and it had stayed the same as previously. But, I noticed similar units were being offered for cheaper so I negotiated a decrease. I live in the ID and haven't checked rents in other areas but maybe they are going down because of the pandemic and economy.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:55 AM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
It seems many people who disparage renting hold the misconception rents always increase when that's not the case. Rent prices are determined by the market. When demand is high and supply is low rents are high or will increase. When supply is higher than demand rent will remain flat or decrease. Right now, it seems many are fleeing the city, so it makes sense that rents will remain flat or decrease.
There was also a no rent increase thing from the Governor, so renewals wouldn’t be higher by law.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:04 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
We haven't raise rent in 4-5 years. Eastlake, secure parking and building.
Redmond flats new tenants rents, in new buildings, as 8-4 weeks sign on abatement. About 1000 additional units will hit in Jan 2021. CV delayed construction that was slated for this Aug-Sept/fall is now Jan.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:07 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times
While I haven't noticed any significant decreases going on last time I checked, I'd venture to guess that COVID restrictions and more people working from home could be reducing demand for rentals in the most prime areas. I have noticed some rent stabilization/drops in West Seattle, but I'd argue that the WS bridge situation has more to do with that than anything else (and if they choose to replace the bridge instead of repair it, that might cause even more drops due to replacement being a 5-6 year project - which will be a serious problem when more people end working from home/return to work).

Key things to pay attention to going forward are if permanent WFH options become more common after COVID stuff is more under control (i.e - vaccine/cure available, fewer restrictions on gatherings), and also when we get a true idea of COVID's economic impacts later on. It takes some time for economic woes to reveal their true impact on real estate/rental prices, and we're only a good 5 months or so into the COVID mess.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:19 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg9876 View Post

Or was it not actually in Seattle but in a ghettolicious dump, like Everett or Tukwila? That'd make more sense although I'd make fun of anyone paying even $1000 for a 1 bedroom in places like that. lol The one eyed man in the land of the blind is king. :P
You ever been to Historic North Everett (like 16th and Rucker and Grand Avenue bluff), Rucker Hill or Mukilteo Blvd parts of Everett? You should, they are really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area