Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 47,958 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Seattlites,

I quit my job in Japan as a sales executive and moved to Seattle last July to sharpen up my skill set. People do this kind of thing these days, and I thought it wouldn't be so difficult getting restarted in a city brimming with opportunity. That was last year. Fast forward nine months and I'm just about to finish the first year of a graduate business program at the UW and don't seem to have any luck finding a summer internship, let alone a full time job.

The facts: I'm definately no valedictorian or IT genius, but do believe that I possess stronger than average academic credentials and a wealth of overseas work experience. Simply put, I'm 35 yrs old with ten years of sales in marketing experience and, by and large, a genuinely honest and affable guy. The drawback is that I don't have any family in the area (big mistake).

The details: Since January, I've been sending out CVs, resumes, cover letters and interviewing with about a dozen prominent and even promising start-ups. I don't have any drug dependencies, a criminal record, or strange idiosyncrasies (that I know of ;-)

The concerns: It's been over four months and I just can't get a job. I've even lowered my standards and decided to take on a position as an analyst (vs. an associate). School will be out in another six weeks and about 75% of my classmates have already locked in a firm offer. It's always seem be one of the same two scenarios: 1) either my resume just gets ignored altogether, or 2) I get a call for an interview and then never hear back after interviewing (with a follow-up).

The questions: Is this simply the result of dire economic times or is Seattle really that ultra-competitive? Does a newcomer either have to be a guru or < 25 years old to get a descent job these days?? What gives?

I've tried everything from on campus recruiting to Craigslist and just can't seem to figure out why a person who wants to work so badly can't find a willing employer?? I'll admit that at 35 I'm no spring chicken, but definately light years from being over the hill.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The hungry husky.

Last edited by newfromjapan; 04-30-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Are you limiting your search to Seattle or considering other cities (not in WA state)? Doesn't sound like you should have a problem finding something with your credentials if you broaden your search. Knowing the right people and having a little luck help a lot too.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Are you limiting your search to Seattle or considering other cities (not in WA state)? Doesn't sound like you should have a problem finding something with your credentials if you broaden your search. Knowing the right people and having a little luck help a lot too.
Thanks for the reply Redline. Frankly, I really want to settle (post grad) in Seattle so I've just been focusing on Puget Sound based businesses.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
Konichiwa....

How is your Nihongo??? You didnt mention if you are Japanese or just spent time there.
Anyways if you have some language skills why not use that to your advantage and target International companies with a high percentage of Japanese customers/business or a need for a multi lingual employee....Just a thought. Seattle has a high percentage of Nihonjin.

One of the main reasons I will soon (maybe) leave Japan and live in Seattle when I return is the Asian diversity in the workplace will be good for me, my Japanese wife and my future business back in the states.

Ganbate...

Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
What is your undergrad in?

I am a MBA Grad student at Seattle U, and also 35 years old. (with Kids a husband, a mortgage etc etc)

ANYWAY

Seattle U sends me job announcements and intership positions (like a bulletin baord) all the time.

I've been looking for another job too, (I work full time) and I get job offers and interviews constantly, Seattle to me is not having a problem in unemployment at all, I've turned down offers. But I'm in finance.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
My perception is that the Seattle IT market is one of the most competitive on the entire west coast (2nd to Portland). I hear people talking about how great the job market is here, but I've only briefly experienced it during 2006 myself.

The other issue might be that the level of skilled workers here is very high, and unless you have "great skills" (Napoleon) you'll have a more difficult time finding something. I'd also say that employers will tend to favor local candidates as they are less of a "flight risk".

Micro$lave is always hiring though, if you can't find something there, I would try outside of Seattle.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM

205 posts, read 720,291 times
Hit the streets dude! Street smarts get you in the door and book smarts keep you employed.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM

48 posts, read 267,616 times
I've found it very tough to get a good job without first knowing someone within the company, unless you're willing to take an entry-level position and work your way up (which is no gimme either, especially if you're overqualified). So it's not you, if it's any consolation...

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
I've found it very tough to get a good job without first knowing someone within the company, unless you're willing to take an entry-level position and work your way up (which is no gimme either, especially if you're overqualified). So it's not you, if it's any consolation...

Your resume gets you an interview. Your interview gets you the job.
What sort of "feel" are you getting during your interviews? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

猿も木から落ちる....

Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Your resume gets you an interview. Your interview gets you the job.
What sort of "feel" are you getting during your interviews? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

猿も木から落ちる....
Yep, they do fall occassionally (sorry, no Kanji waapuro function enabled on this laptop or we could exchange more Japanese idioms

Problem is, I just keep falling over and over again. Almost a dozen consecutive dings in the past four months.

Initially, interviewers seem to be very accomodating and easy to build rapport with. My background is so different that they ask questions about living/working abroad etc.. Then when the questioning goes to random case based -- which are impossible to predict -- I never seem to have the most compelling responses, even after reading up thoroughly on the industry, market, competitors, threats, opportunities, SWOT, and having a general grasp of the numbers from their latest quarterly/annual reports.

I think the key drawback is that I'm asking for an associate level position without being able to drop a name. Admittedly, I don't have a single contact in the Puget Sound, or Washington State for that matter, outside of the friendships I've made (with mostly new Seattleites as well) within our business program.

Hitting the streets is basically the only option I have left, and even then, prospective employers are (perceived) hesitant because of my non-technical work experience. One would think that a sales and marketing position wouldn't require detailed knowledge of MS Visio and/or crystal ball modeling, but recently I've been convinced otherwise. Since first creating this thread, I've had two more unsuccessful interviews because I was questioned about my proficiency with the software.

When the quarter is done and the dust has settled, I may end up taking a floor (vs. desk) job just to get a foot in the door as one poster recommended above. It's hard to take such a huge back step at 35, especially after having worked (my way up to) a desk job for so many years and gone through all the hurdles of being admitted at and completing the first year of a relatively rigorous graduate program.

Back to the job boards and newspapers...

Last edited by newfromjapan; 05-03-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area