Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 10:59 AM

153 posts, read 131,726 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
I know sky is the limit for how much you can spend on home renos. However, I’d like to know if anyone has any experience with somewhat recent reno costs. I’m mostly focused on external house Reno. Curb appeal. Landscaping but mostly on the cost of changing the front of the house. New big windows, framing, even adding new roof line (adding a peak or similar to a flatter roof) etc. any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM

147 posts, read 167,838 times
What type of house style are you wanting? Old restored craftsman, mid century modern, newer two story traditional? If you have a specific style in mind it may help you narrow down the neighborhood.
Honest contractors can be hard to come by in this market. Expect to pay top dollar. Most will expect 50% payment up front. You may need to get architects involved. You will need to get city permits most likely. Some contractors don't want to deal with that. Some contractors will up their estimates if they drive up and see you live in an upscale place. If you can afford that you can afford their high estimate.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmatazzy View Post
What type of house style are you wanting? Old restored craftsman, mid century modern, newer two story traditional? If you have a specific style in mind it may help you narrow down the neighborhood.
Honest contractors can be hard to come by in this market. Expect to pay top dollar. Most will expect 50% payment up front. You may need to get architects involved. You will need to get city permits most likely. Some contractors don't want to deal with that. Some contractors will up their estimates if they drive up and see you live in an upscale place. If you can afford that you can afford their high estimate.
Ballard, shoreline, north gate, Olympic hills, Queen Anne etc.
I’m not sure what the housing type would be called. I like Tudor looking peaks on roofs. Or peeky craftsman. But I’ve seen some flatter style houses that would look nice just extended taller and made to look modern with new framed windows and wood slate and stuff.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The problem right now is finding someone to do it. Just within a few blocks of us there are two additions under construction, one major outside landscaping project, next door getting a new deck, and two other with dumpsters in the driveways. People seem to be spending their savings from no commute and the stimulus money to do home renovations. I can tell you that in the last 18 months we paid $15,000 for all new windows, and $21,000 for a new roof and gutters.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem right now is finding someone to do it. Just within a few blocks of us there are two additions under construction, one major outside landscaping project, next door getting a new deck, and two other with dumpsters in the driveways. People seem to be spending their savings from no commute and the stimulus money to do home renovations. I can tell you that in the last 18 months we paid $15,000 for all new windows, and $21,000 for a new roof and gutters.
New windows just glass or new framing too? Did you change the size of any windows?

Old 08-27-2020, 11:01 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
It is stunning how busy contractors are right now.

Drive around any middle-to-high-end neighborhood in Seattle and take note of how many Honey Buckets and construction implements litter them.

Staying home for the wealthy has inspired a lot of re-doing of their home (now work) spaces.

If you don't have a suitably big job, it will probably hard to get a contractor to start in any reasonably quick time.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 143,323 times
I have replaced a roof in the last year and repainted the exterior of my house. House is 2700 sqft with a detached 3 car garage.

Metal roof was $47k
Painting was $17k

I was interested in adding a single story addition. Received bids to add 700 sqft, including a bathroom. Bids averaged $380 per sqft.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:40 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
New roof line is going to cost a packet. That is major major construction.

Landscaping, it depends upon how much you can do yourself. I can do it pretty cheap, but if you pay someone to do all of it, expect to pay. If you are capable of digging a few holes, maybe pay someone to come in and install all the irrigation lines and sprinklers, and then you trim, design, and plant. You can keep the costs down. Keep it simple. Simple is easier to take care of and it can look really good if it is balanced and the right plants are used.

Replacing windows with larger windows, call around and get a few quotes. Larger windows can make a huge difference in both the exterior and the interior. Expect to have to paint the exterior of the house if they enlarge the windows.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:42 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Also, if you are removing and replacing windows, get it done quick before it starts raining again.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Lumber prices are soaring due to increased demand and Trump's tariffs on Canadian lumber. Factor it in.

"According to the wood industry trade publication Random Lengths, the composite price for softwood lumber in North America currently stands around $750 per 1,000-board feet. That figure is more than double the price of about $350 per 1,000-board feet in mid-March, according to Random Lengths.

Meanwhile, Mark Gatlin, who owns and operates Discount Lumber, Metal & Truss in North Spokane, says Oriented Strand Board plywood sheets currently sell for $28 per sheet, well over triple the $8 a sheet price in March. OSB plywood is the most used sheathing and flooring building material in homes.

A recent National Association of Home Builders study shows the softwood lumber price increase caused the average price of a newly built single-family home to surge by over $16,000 from April 17 to Aug. 21."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area