Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 11:15 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Molan View Post
I really enjoyed your reply, Pete! I was wondering if you could share why you choose to still stay in Seattle. I ask because we are newer residents of Seattle and as more conservative-leaning people we are starting to feel that it may be challenging to raise a family here. What has it been like for you? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Rachel! My wife and I have stayed in Seattle because of my job. I'm lucky in a sense because my line of work, financial services, tends to draw a lot of other conservative people so many of my co-workers have the same political mindset that I do and that's huge.

But aside from that, you just need to have thick skin! If others sense that you are conservative by your actions or vibe, you will often get the cold shoulder. If I had a dollar for every ultra liberal waitstaff that can't wait for me to leave their station despite being very nice to them and tipping well, I'd be rich haha. It happens!

I just try to take the high road every time. Regardless of who I interact with, I try to be nice and pleasant. Most importantly, I respect the political views of others and try not to judge and hope they grant me the same level of respect. It doesn't always happen and when it doesn't I just smile and don't let it upset me.

Seattle is a big city! There are other conservative families out there but it may take some time to find them.

Now my wife is not as patient as I am. I'm fast approaching 60 years old. My wife is Asian and she wants very badly to either retire full time or go back and forth between Seattle and Thailand.

Why Thailand? Life is an adventure. Time to start a new chapter! One of the things that we do like about Thailand is people greet you with a smile and it's a country that really embraces respect. I'm big into respect and kindness and I feel this country has lost these qualities and it very much saddens me.
So yes, we'll eventually leave Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 11:47 AM

40 posts, read 30,491 times
Such great points! This quote of yours 100% describes me as well:

"I'm big into respect and kindness and I feel this country has lost these qualities and it very much saddens me."

I think that statement represents the difference in how we parent our kids and how their friends are being parented. I guess we will just continue reinforcing what's important to us and talking to our kids as often as possible. Sometimes it just feels like it would be easier to be around like-minded families!

"Seattle is a big city! There are other conservative families out there but it may take some time to find them. "

I am hopeful to find them soon. Right now the political climate is so intense that it feels worrisome to put your views out there in order to find these families. Maybe it won't feel as scary after the election

Have you ever lived in the South? I always feel like our vibe would fit in better there. But honestly for me Seattle would be perfect if there was just some diversity in thought, and the willingness to agree to disagree.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:15 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:

Have you ever lived in the South? I always feel like our vibe would fit in better there. But honestly for me Seattle would be perfect if there was just some diversity in thought, and the willingness to agree to disagree.

Funny you mention that, I'm seeing many of my clients moving to the south. Texas and Arizona in particular seem to be a popular landing spot. Oh no doubt our vibe would fit in better! If we weren't looking to move overseas, that would be a consideration!

Old 10-15-2020, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 30,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Funny you mention that, I'm seeing many of my clients moving to the south. Texas and Arizona in particular seem to be a popular landing spot. Oh no doubt our vibe would fit in better! If we weren't looking to move overseas, that would be a consideration!

Awesome I appreciate all of your feedback and stories! Good luck with all of your adventures!!!

Old 10-16-2020, 09:30 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Awesome I appreciate all of your feedback and stories! Good luck with all of your adventures!!!
Politics: funny, for the brief few months I was 'in the office in 2019, I had an ex Army Lt. Colonel on one side, a down-home good ol' Southern boy (who was pretty smart) on the other. Then there's me, a no-BS, no-spin conservative, Yankee through-and-through. All about the same age. We got along great. I think the client attracts that type, they may have even hired for it though I hope not since would border on discrimination. It seldom came up, but we knew how the others felt. Birds of a feather...

My political opponents can "cold shoulder" all they want, I'm disappointed when they're afraid to engage. Seems a bit Stalinist to me, but won't go there further.

I do fine in town, but my town is Eastside, Kirkland. Far from "Conservative" exactly but definitely families and non-hell raisers where I am. I really don't care if Maoists move in next door, if they keep the place looking good and don't try and have me sent to re-education camp. Some of the Groups on (social media) can have wacky views, but the "delete" key and similar serve me well in that case.

When I retire, t-minus 9 years (maybe!) I could see splitting time between summers in Seattle, winters in Thailand. Guess it might help if I went there to figure it out! I'm single and there's a chance I could be one of those ex-pats who makes every effort to NOT come back. Need to do a bit more traveling, figure this out, about five years from now. And, I shall.

Twenty-two years in the Seattle area, it's growing on me due to the abundant water, modest fire danger, and mild summers with a few outlier really hot days (thank you, room-sized AC that works just great overnight). The split-seasons and dual-residency idea seems ever more attractive as I age. It's a question of finances for all of us, though. Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Politics: funny, for the brief few months I was 'in the office in 2019, I had an ex Army Lt. Colonel on one side, a down-home good ol' Southern boy (who was pretty smart) on the other. Then there's me, a no-BS, no-spin conservative, Yankee through-and-through. All about the same age. We got along great. I think the client attracts that type, they may have even hired for it though I hope not since would border on discrimination. It seldom came up, but we knew how the others felt. Birds of a feather...

My political opponents can "cold shoulder" all they want, I'm disappointed when they're afraid to engage. Seems a bit Stalinist to me, but won't go there further.

I do fine in town, but my town is Eastside, Kirkland. Far from "Conservative" exactly but definitely families and non-hell raisers where I am. I really don't care if Maoists move in next door, if they keep the place looking good and don't try and have me sent to re-education camp. Some of the Groups on (social media) can have wacky views, but the "delete" key and similar serve me well in that case.

When I retire, t-minus 9 years (maybe!) I could see splitting time between summers in Seattle, winters in Thailand. Guess it might help if I went there to figure it out! I'm single and there's a chance I could be one of those ex-pats who makes every effort to NOT come back. Need to do a bit more traveling, figure this out, about five years from now. And, I shall.

Twenty-two years in the Seattle area, it's growing on me due to the abundant water, modest fire danger, and mild summers with a few outlier really hot days (thank you, room-sized AC that works just great overnight). The split-seasons and dual-residency idea seems ever more attractive as I age. It's a question of finances for all of us, though. Best of luck.
Baerde, give Phu Quoc a look in the south of Vietnam. Ex pat friendly, beautiful and authentic. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/vietnam...hu-quoc-island

Old 10-17-2020, 03:27 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
More are leaving, for cheaper rent and/or working from home, while fewer are coming. Amazon is shifting jobs from Seattle to the Eastside. In the meantime, Seattle metro is adding density, with 8,261 (2020), 11,500 (2019), 13,682 (2018), or ~33,000 apartments overall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...struction.html

Personally, I welcome a return to sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: