Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,998 times

Advertisements

Help..I have been given only a week to decide if I should relocate from new england to Seattle. I have 4 children of elementary school age and am a stay at home mom. My husbands salary is only 70k. I am looking to rent a home until I get to know the area, and where I would like to settle. My questions are; Is his salary enough to expect a decent quality of life there.We are willing to commute an hour from any direction. What are the best area schools. Being under such a time crunch any advice would be great...Best regards...Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
With 4 children, $70K is not very much money to survive on out here. Issaquah has really good school districts, but it's pricey (we pay $1700/month for a 3 bedroom town home that we rent). There are parts of Renton (which is less expensive) that are still in the Issaquah school district. That might be an option.

I'm a recent transplant, so I can't help much. Sorry!

V. =)

Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Those parts of Renton in the Issaquah district, Edmonds, and Maple Valley are just a few of the relatively lower priced areas with decent school districts.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
We left the area when we were priced out, in late 2006. 3 children on a salary of slightly over $100k.

The best schools are in the Lake Washington district, which is on the Eastside. Mainly Redmond. Issaquah is good, so is North Shore (Bothell, Kirkland). Bellevue has some highly acclaimed schools. Truth is, all of these districts are higher end...

You will be struggling on $70k... and unless you move with significant equity money, it will be hard to buy a home with that.

Do you really want to live with your husband commuting an hour each way? My husband did that for the last two years that we lived there - and we realistically only lived slightly over 20 miles from his place of employment. (Mill Creek/Bothell to Redmond) An hour commute time doesn't take you very far out - and I can't tell you how his quality of life has increased no longer having to sit in that..... it was a major stressor to his life.... and by trickle down, ours.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times
Personally I would think twice. That is not much money for 6 people and you would have to probably commute longer than an hour to be able to afford a place and then their is the schools. Sorry.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Bainbridge Island has excellant schools, but for the life of me I don't see $70,000/yr income adequate for a family of 5 in this area.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,962 times
I would look at Snoqualmie/North Bend. The traffic on I-90 isn't bad and it usually only takes around 30 minutes each way. Schools are supposed to be pretty good. Very family friendly area, lots of trails, parks, etc.

You might also want to consider living somewhere near the Sounder Commuter Rail. Sound Transit

Check out this post:
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...n-seattle.html

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,962 times
Most of the areas with excellent schools, (excluding Olympia and Bellingham) are very expensive.

Puyallup is pretty far out, and the schools are good/okay, but it is very affordable. I know a lot of people who commute from Puyallup to Seattle with the Sounder. I would guess that it takes at least an hour each way, door to door. The traffic in Puyallup is horrible. It is probably a lot more conservative than what you are used to on the east coast. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Here are some tools that I like using:

Washington State Report Card

Here is some informaiton on the schools that I suggested for your price range. There is an area that allows you to read parent reviews as well. You can also use this link to look up other schools.

Snoqualmie schools - Snoqualmie public schools - Snoqualmie school ratings - Best Snoqualmie schools
North Bend schools - North Bend public schools - North Bend school ratings - Best North Bend schools
Puyallup schools - Puyallup public schools - Puyallup school ratings - Best Puyallup schools

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,215 times
I work for the Lake Washington School District and we would love to have you and your family but our area is indeed on the expensive side of things. You might check the Juanita area of Kirkland for some of the better values. I agree with Prple's list of other school districts - for your price range, they are very good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area