Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ore...outputType=amp

“ For many business owners struggling to survive the pandemic’s upending of office work, news that downtown Seattle’s biggest employer had extended its work-from-home policy by six months is yet another blow.

Many small businesses have already adjusted to the absence of Amazon workers — along with those of many other downtown companies — and their appetites for coffee, food, an after-work drink and other services. But scores of others have succumbed, and business leaders said that without help, more will fail in the coming months.

“We’ve already endured six months, with some help from the government,” said Justin Young, owner of Flow Fitness, with locations in South Lake Union and Fremont. “I don’t see us being able to do another six months” without additional support, or an easing in state limits on the number of customers in the gyms.

Both seem unlikely in the near term, as Washington state has seen a surge in new cases, and Congress has been unable to advance new relief measures.

Amazon on Tuesday told employees, including 55,000-plus corporate and technology staff in Seattle and Bellevue, they had the option to work from home through June — six months beyond the January date most recently targeted for return, and 16 months since the tech and commerce giant first implemented the policy.

Amid the pandemic’s turmoil, some new patterns emerged downtown this summer, including an uptick in the number of people choosing to work in the office at least some of the time.

Weekday daytime worker visits to downtown Seattle in August and September were up more than 18% from a low in April, though still down by about two-thirds from a year earlier, according to an analysis of data from Placer.ai, which tracks people based on cellphone location data, cited by the Downtown Seattle Association. And in a recent DSA survey of 179 businesses, 44% of respondents said at least a quarter of their employees were already back at the office or worksite, while 38% said they expected to have at least half of their workers back on site midway through 2021.

An Amazon spokesperson said that anecdotally, the number of people coming into its buildings has been increasing, though she could not provide an estimate. (The majority of Amazon’s employees, in its fulfillment centers and logistics operations, have no option of working from home.)

“We have invested significant funds and resources to keep those who choose to come to the office safe through physical distancing, deep cleaning, temperature checks, and by providing face coverings and hand sanitizer,” a company spokesperson said.

Amazon also continues to employ the contract front-desk staff, janitors, security guards and other personnel who keep its buildings functioning. In some cases, they are performing new tasks. Shuttle drivers are making food deliveries and reception staff support temperature checks, she said.

DSA president Jon Scholes said many companies and building owners are doing a good job to make their facilities as safe as possible for those employees who do need to, or wish to, return to the office. Continuing to do so is important for the near-term health of downtown, he said.

But companies and facilities managers face a moving target as they try to make their work sites safe for employees and stay in line with public health recommendations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday that spending a cumulative 15 minutes in a day within six feet of a person infected with Covid-19 should be considered “close contact” — even if each exposure was brief. The prior definition of “close contact” was 15 minutes of continued exposure.

Scholes said that already more than 130 street-level retail, restaurant and services businesses have closed their physical locations in downtown Seattle permanently.

“I expect, unfortunately, that we’re going to see more if one of two things don’t change. Either one, another federal stimulus bill is adopted and provides direct relief to the small businesses, or two, more employees come back (to downtown offices). I don’t think we’ve stabilized the situation in any way,” he said.

Scholes said that Amazon’s timelines may not directly drive the decisions of other office employers, who instead will focus on the engagement and productivity of their own workforce.

But particularly in technology, where major companies and startups continue to recruit from the same talent pool, work-from-home timelines and employee flexibility are watched more closely.

Microsoft earlier this month said that for most employees, working from home up to half time is “now standard,” with manager approval.

Manny Medina, founder and CEO of Seattle-based startup Outreach, which makes software for sales teams, said his company decided last month that “we prioritize employee well-being and have committed to a work-from-home policy through July 2021.”

The 600-person company has kept its offices on Elliott Avenue open to employees who feel they need it, provided they’ve taken a coronavirus test within three days and follow other safety rules. On average, 15 employees a day are using the space, spread across three floors. That’s one of several steps the company has taken to allow flexible work situations, including encouraging greater use of an unlimited paid-time-off policy.

Whether the modest uptick in downtown worker numbers will continue into the dark, rainy winter remains to be seen. Prospects for the spring and summer beyond are less certain still, but that’s where some are placing their hopes.

Marc Chatalas is co-owner of six area restaurants, including the Cactus location in an Amazon-owned building in South Lake Union. He said his restaurants have continued to improve their off-premises service options and have benefited from more customers dining in, particularly on the outdoor patio. Some customers have found it easier to visit the neighborhood in the absence of Amazon’s daily workforce, he said.

“Our business, we’re going to make it to June,” Chatalas said. “But the expectation is that things are going to come back around that time. And we need it to. If it doesn’t, then that portends greater issues for us in the future.”

Amazon, which made a point of fostering independent businesses to serve its corporate workers, has granted rent concessions that are crucial to the restaurant’s viability.

“Thank God that there are companies that are doing well during this pandemic, and I’m fortunate that my landlord is one of them,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I doubt any of this will blow over until Spring 2021. If then. Lot of moving parts, just one man's opinion.

Other threads deal with working from home. As a tech worker, I've been at home for years now actually, the pandemic just sealed it. We get a lot done that way, I'm just on Teams 4-6 hrs/day which is fine. Most is video, but some audio only if others are not comfortable with video. In my comfy Herman Miller chair, cozy home office, all the resources I need at my fingers. It's a godsend. I do however dress well for work daily, it's a ritual that helps the state of mind stay professional. For others, not so much of a godsend, and I'm torn about those retailers in-particular plus what this behavioral trend portends for the future of cities (and real estate values).

Objectively, it is awesome that in (some number of) years not many in high tech may "need" to live in some city or another, they can live where they choose. Half of California may up and clear out, though I must say geographically it is the most beautiful place in the US I've lived, by a vast margin. Had I had that option to live anywhere at age 30, I very well may have picked a lower cost area vs. Seattle more appealing to me at the time. Perhaps somewhere in AZ or even New Mexico. Maybe Texas, though I haven't traveled there much outside of the Austin and DFW areas.

I'm sure the above extends to other industries as-well. I happen to know tech intimately. COVID has been a forcing-function on society, with unknown outcomes for the future of both service delivery and professional positions in-general.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:32 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Does the city of Seattle collect a commuter income tax on workers working in the city?

Old 10-28-2020, 05:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I doubt any of this will blow over until Spring 2021. If then. Lot of moving parts, just one man's opinion.

Other threads deal with working from home. As a tech worker, I've been at home for years now actually, the pandemic just sealed it. We get a lot done that way, I'm just on Teams 4-6 hrs/day which is fine. Most is video, but some audio only if others are not comfortable with video. In my comfy Herman Miller chair, cozy home office, all the resources I need at my fingers. It's a godsend. I do however dress well for work daily, it's a ritual that helps the state of mind stay professional. For others, not so much of a godsend, and I'm torn about those retailers in-particular plus what this behavioral trend portends for the future of cities (and real estate values).

Objectively, it is awesome that in (some number of) years not many in high tech may "need" to live in some city or another, they can live where they choose. Half of California may up and clear out, though I must say geographically it is the most beautiful place in the US I've lived, by a vast margin. Had I had that option to live anywhere at age 30, I very well may have picked a lower cost area vs. Seattle more appealing to me at the time. Perhaps somewhere in AZ or even New Mexico. Maybe Texas, though I haven't traveled there much outside of the Austin and DFW areas.

I'm sure the above extends to other industries as-well. I happen to know tech intimately. COVID has been a forcing-function on society, with unknown outcomes for the future of both service delivery and professional positions in-general.
I am not in tech but mostly wfh. I gave an all day training to our Helena office today. In pre Covid times they’d have sent me there to do it in person but I did it with kitty sleeping next to me at home. I do think there is something to be said for in person interaction but this is the future for sure.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
My office was downtown on the edge of Amazonia until I started working from home in Feb.
I was there for this first time in 8 months 2 weeks ago and walked around the neighborhood. It is a ghost town. Many restaurants have closed, the food trucks are gone. What I noticed most of all is how quiet it was, very little traffic noise, the sidewalks devoid of pedestrians. I could have fired a cannonball down Westlake Ave. without hitting anyone (except maybe tents that are now popping up on sidewalks and traffic islands).
Is this the dawn of the new utopia in Seattle, free of Amazon corporate greed, as envisioned by Kshama Sawant and her acolytes?

Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,461 times
i think alot more wi;ll work from home for a long time to come with virus changing things for years

Old 11-14-2020, 09:42 AM

194 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Seems like quite a few tech have relocated to TX or AZ.

I'm not in tech, wish I was. I'm in healthcare. Would gladly relocate to a lower cost (and less left leaning politics), but am giving consideration to a future move.

Have you thought of moving to Las Vegas? If not, curious to know why.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Commercial rents are gonna be hurting for yrs.

Having internet would be a big plus for my neighbors and I to survive covid and work / order / do business / stream from home., but not available in my part of WA state (<15 miles from a 500k population).

need connectivity?... Still driving to the library (if / when seldom open) or a hilltop to get a cell signal.

I will have to welcome Elon's $99 service (soon I hope, I need to order toilet paper from Amazon)
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/27/spac...st-begins.html

Old 11-15-2020, 06:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,461 times
amazon is smart for doing that safer for the workers they care and take this disease seriously unlike so many others

Old 11-15-2020, 10:23 PM

194 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

In your opinion, with Amazon (and Microsoft, Facebook, and Google) employees working from home, how will this affect Bellevue businesses? Seems like Bellevue biz will struggle as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area