Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2020, 03:07 PM

86 posts, read 72,253 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We finally bought a home after 1.5+ years of constant searching. We had to buy a 1960's home which is move-in ready except for a few things that needs to be repaired/replaced. We spoke to our realtor as to how much those things would cost and based on that we put an offer price.

We found a few decently review folks on Yelp and Thumbtack who came to see the home and provided quotes. The issue is that, when I search online, I can only find people who do specialize in one aspect. For example, I want to remove popcorn ceiling, install recessed lights, fix couple of plumbing leaks, and install some duct work. None of the experts on yelp do all of these things. So I will have to hire 4 different people to do each of the items. The quotes we got were 3 to 4 times that our realtor told us it would cost. I think this is partially due to us having to hire 4 different companies.

I am unable to find a contractor who has employees to do it all inhouse (when I search on websites like Thumbtack, Yelp or Home Advisor). We contacted some remodeling companies but most of them don't want our work as it is not a "remodel" and they probably won't make much money out it.

Any advice on how to find a good contractor who can do it all or has employees who can do it all?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 05:00 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
You should be able to find a good general contractor. You may need to look in outside your immediate area and check the outskirts for home remodel. Maybe what you're really looking for is a "handyman". This is a longshot, but go to a busy Homedepot and jot down some numbers on some contractor's trucks who're buying materials.

I gotta tell ya, right now it's gonna cost an arm and a leg because lumber/materials has gone sky since the summer. Last july an 8' 2 x 4 was $2.35. Now it's a little over $6. A 4 x 8 sheet of OSB roof sheathing was $13, now it's $26.

It might be worth waiting until covid gets under control and materials drop. There might be a shortage of labor causing problems now as well.

Good Luck.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:05 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
As your local neighborhood community groups.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
We have found some very capable handyman companies that can do a surprising range of work, and generally charge quite reasonably.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:14 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,898 times
One of my friends uses the services of people he finds lingering outside Home Depot. He praises a couple of them as being the best he has ever found.

Not recommended if you are not a risk taker.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:29 AM

86 posts, read 72,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We have found some very capable handyman companies that can do a surprising range of work, and generally charge quite reasonably.
Do you mind DMing me their contact details? Thank you.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:47 AM

243 posts, read 228,624 times
Well what you outlined is three different trades

Electrical

Plumbing

Hvac

Talk to the Realtor about a residential subcontractor

They get paid to contract all the different aspects of the job out

Old 11-23-2020, 09:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Not only are material costs up, but with so many people working from home and saving the cost of commutes and entertainment, the contractors are swamped. Our next door neighbor is getting a new driveway, across the street a new kitchen, two doors down a new roof. There are also several developments of new homes going up. Yours would be considered a very small job involving multiple trades, not much in it for any one contractor, so it may take time to find someone who is available and willing.

If anyone in your neighborhood has work being done, stop by (masked) and ask for the contractor information.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Assuming you live in King County, try reaching north to Snohomish County to find a contractor. They are sometimes a bit more available, a bit more affordable and willing to travel for the right project, especially if you can be flexible about working hours.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:20 PM

243 posts, read 228,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Assuming you live in King County, try reaching north to Snohomish County to find a contractor. They are sometimes a bit more available, a bit more affordable and willing to travel for the right project, especially if you can be flexible about working hours.
If what opie needs is light troubleshooting and repair then cheaping out a little is fine but if his house is wired like a F****** Christmas tree ready to catch on fire than I’d suggest not cheaping out

Sounds like just trim work , a handyman can do electrical trim work

Or just walk up to a big construction site

Find a guy with a ibew sticker on his hard hat on lunch break

Ask how much for said amount of fixtures and he’ll give you a good price

A lot of the guys I work with do side hustles

Cash only though , no Uncle Sam involved

You’re getting quality trained labor for half the price because you’re not paying the business owner , you’re paying the actual worker directly

If I was in the area already I’d try to hook you up with someone for the electrical part op
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area