Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 12:45 PM

86 posts, read 61,372 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is a hidden gem. I purchased my home there after a "day trip" visiting friends in DC and NYC. Loved it that much. On repeated visits, I've found the neighborhoods all have their own charm and feel. People are direct, friendly, and community oriented. It's totally different from the standoffish vibe in Seattle, but it's also a major city and people do tend to mind their own business downtown. Food is top notch. I can't wait to get out again and enjoy more of the farm-to-table and world cuisine. We're into the arts and hiking and there's so much there to get that fix easily. Other great things are walkability with a dense, vibrant city core and the weather has been good. I'm a California girl so I'd never say it's great lol But it's good considering. .We've visited in early spring, late summer, and fall but have yet to take on a winter season there. My partner and I are planning to move after our PA house renter's lease is up next Oct. The kiddo is currently being treated at Seattle Children's which has kept us here longer than desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 12:48 PM

153 posts, read 132,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
Philadelphia is a hidden gem. I purchased my home there after a "day trip" visiting friends in DC and NYC. Loved it that much. On repeated visits, I've found the neighborhoods all have their own charm and feel. People are direct, friendly, and community oriented. It's totally different from the standoffish vibe in Seattle, but it's also a major city and people do tend to mind their own business downtown. Food is top notch. I can't wait to get out again and enjoy more of the farm-to-table and world cuisine. We're into the arts and hiking and there's so much there to get that fix easily. Other great things are walkability with a dense, vibrant city core and the weather has been good. I'm a California girl so I'd never say it's great lol But it's good considering. .We've visited in early spring, late summer, and fall but have yet to take on a winter season there. My partner and I are planning to move after our PA house renter's lease is up next Oct. The kiddo is currently being treated at Seattle Children's which has kept us here longer than desired.
Interesting take, ill look more heavily into Philly. Thank you I guess my views have been slightly bigoted.
What's your child being treated for if you don't mind me asking? (I'm a nurse practitioner)
I'd like to know your experience with the healthcare team in Seattle.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,203,833 times
Don’t discount St Louis either, bad areas of course, but there are plenty of nice areas and the people are very friendly in general, good food and four distinct seasons as well.

People on “the coasts” scoff at the midwest with their noses in the air, but Missouri has some incredible scenery

Old 12-05-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Interesting take, ill look more heavily into Philly. Thank you I guess my views have been slightly bigoted.
What's your child being treated for if you don't mind me asking? (I'm a nurse practitioner)
I'd like to know your experience with the healthcare team in Seattle.
Hi CirculateRX,

I don’t mind sharing, he was diagnosed with stage IV Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at the start of the COVID crisis. I can’t tell you how wonderful the team at Seattle Children’s is. Even with everything going on they took exceptional care of him and were hugely empathetic.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:36 PM

8,178 posts, read 8,322,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
Hi CirculateRX,

I don’t mind sharing, he was diagnosed with stage IV Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at the start of the COVID crisis. I can’t tell you how wonderful the team at Seattle Children’s is. Even with everything going on they took exceptional care of him and were hugely empathetic.
Sending heartfelt wishes for your son's health. My dad has cancer right now but I can't imagine how tough it would be to be in your shoes. Children's is wonderful, very kind people.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sending heartfelt wishes for your son's health. My dad has cancer right now but I can't imagine how tough it would be to be in your shoes. Children's is wonderful, very kind people.
Thank you so much 2020 has been a hard year for a lot of people and we felt extremely grateful to have medical care and a hopeful outcome.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,738,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have been to Sacramento and Denver, neither places are all that interesting. Nice scenery yes, but lacks any kind of soul that would make you go back.
I like Sacramento's downtown. It's very bike-able and clean/safe.

Denver is old, weather beaten and dirty, unless you go to the far south end of town where the rich people are.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,063,731 times
The MUCH BETTER alternatives to Seattle WERE Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, BC.

I haven't been in Portland for over a decade, but it use to be a real cool city. I guess these days if you can stay away from the nightly riots downtown it still might be a cool city.

Lived in Vancouver, BC. It is a world class city. Really unfair to Vancouver to compare it to Seattle. Vancouver is in a totally different league.

There are other cities out west.....but they don't need anymore people....so stick to Portland and Vancouver.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:34 PM

37 posts, read 23,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hi friends,
Wife and I want to ask a quick question to you Seattle locals.
We really enjoyed your city for its abundance of shops and restaurants on the roads. Downtown, cap hill, Ballard, Kirkland, Edmonds, we loved the access to eating and shopping. We come from Phoenix where it’s shopping strip malls and that’s it. Even downtown is just buildings, nothing for pedestrians really. We’ve noticed places like Chicago, NY, Portland, Boston, all feel like people focused downtowns with all the shops and food places. Can you name any other cities that feel more people focused? We would like a city that’s at least moderate sized to large sized.
The challenge is finding one that's not overrun by homeless, drug users, protesters, etc. Try Boston or Austin. Nashville maybe.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Denver is old, weather beaten and dirty,
I live in Denver and don't see this at all.
Lots of new construction within city limits: both business and residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area