Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:26 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,194,306 times

Advertisements

I'd concur, probably the area right next to Crossroads Mall, and Factoria Mall to a lesser extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,799,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, Crossroads can be a bit iffy. But besides downtown Bellevue, the highest crime rate is in Factoria. Both areas have apartment complexes, so perhaps that's a tell?
Anytime there's a mall, there's usually higher crime reported (like theft for example).

OP, usually the less desirable areas of Bellevue are as mentioned Factoria, Lake Hills... And also Eastgate, Bel-Red, the area around Lake Sammamish HS (I think it's called Norway Village? It's been awhile). But they're still better than the actual rough areas anywhere.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, Crossroads can be a bit iffy. But besides downtown Bellevue, the highest crime rate is in Factoria. Both areas have apartment complexes, so perhaps that's a tell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Anytime there's a mall, there's usually higher crime reported (like theft for example).

OP, usually the less desirable areas of Bellevue are as mentioned Factoria, Lake Hills... And also Eastgate, Bel-Red, the area around Lake Sammamish HS (I think it's called Norway Village? It's been awhile). But they're still better than the actual rough areas anywhere.
There are typically a lot of "affordable" apartments near a mall. There is a need for housing the mall employees, who don't make enough to buy, and current zoning is meant to reduce commutes by having a lot of dense housing near the shopping. Recent downtown Bellevue development has been a lot of apartments over new office and retail. If there were only single family homes near Crossroads and Factoria, the employees wold have to come from apartments in Renton or Issaquah.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:32 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,280,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
We've used a portable AC unit in our apartment this year and even with one in our living room and one in our bedroom, the living room pushed 80 degrees with it on. I'm not sure if this is standard for a non-window portable AC unit, but it never shut off - the compressor did go on and off, but the fan would run and pump humidity into the air whenever the compressor wasn't running constantly.
What is its cooling capacity (8,000 vs 10,000 BTUs, for instance)? Is it properly vented, with the window opening sealed (so vented hot air won't be pulled back into the room)? Are you closing any doors to limit the space that needs to be cooled.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:19 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,608,105 times
We've never had A/C, but two of our three homes have 3 stories (townhomes) and the bottom floor always stays comfortable. Our cats do just fine. I've also worked as a cat sitter for last 6 years and the same goes for most of my clients (a few do have A/C). They leave the blinds closed, doors to bedrooms closed (which means hallways upstairs stay dark (cooler). Seems like most homes have 2 stories so no matter which home you choose your kitty should be fine if it has more than one story.

As for Crossroads... I really like that area and I think it's doing just fine. I think it's improving year after year.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:43 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,381,974 times
You don't need AC in Seattle unless you live in one of those modern buildings with flat roof, giant windows and none of the windows open wide.

Otherwise you just open windows at night, and close them during the day and use some curtains. This past summer, my home temperature never went past 76 even with no AC, which isn't uncomfortable.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:49 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,052,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
You don't need AC in Seattle unless you live in one of those modern buildings with flat roof, giant windows and none of the windows open wide.

Otherwise you just open windows at night, and close them during the day and use some curtains. This past summer, my home temperature never went past 76 even with no AC, which isn't uncomfortable.
I don't agree. If you live in a house that is in a newer neighborhood (meaning no big trees nearby), you will definitely need AC for at least a few days/weeks every summer.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:51 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,381,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I don't agree. If you live in a house that is in a newer neighborhood (meaning no big trees nearby), you will definitely need AC for at least a few days/weeks every summer.
Maybe. I have big oak trees. The thing about Seattle is it cools off during the night (the temperature gradient is large), which is what you really need AC for, sleeping comfortably. During the day, 76 or 80 in the house, I don't really care. Drink some iced drinks and wear shorts.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:40 AM

11 posts, read 7,760 times
For what it's worth, I used to work the overnight shift in the Factoria area. I would often spend my breaks taking a walk outside, and not once did I ever feel threatened. Statistically speaking, the Factoria area is probably the less desirable side of Bellevue, but it always felt secure to me. Bellevue is a unique city in the sense that the worst part of town is significantly better than a lot of places you could be.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:42 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,194,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Maybe. I have big oak trees. The thing about Seattle is it cools off during the night (the temperature gradient is large), which is what you really need AC for, sleeping comfortably. During the day, 76 or 80 in the house, I don't really care. Drink some iced drinks and wear shorts.
I’ve lived in Seattle for 30 years and used to feel exactly how you do. I have really, though, noticed a warming trend. There absolutely are more hot/uncomfortable days each summer. This, combined with the smoke from eastern Washington fires that is becoming more common, I think makes AC more needed here than before. The good news is that almost anyone can get it, whether it is a heat pump, mini split system or even a portable from Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area