Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 01:21 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,864,281 times

Advertisements

Seattle Times paywall, so linking to Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/c...in_the_nation/

I found November 2020 in Seattle too dark and gloomy too, but still preferred it to the much snowier and colder half of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 05:47 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,169,654 times
We folk that live in Seattle really rely on indoor activities during late fall and winter months. My wife and I absolutely love discovering new restaurants in town and we enjoy listening to live music. During the lockdown, these events are taken away from us and frankly we miss it! So yes, I can see why residents of our fair city would be a bit blue.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:22 PM

61 posts, read 40,070 times
IMO, there are a lot of people who move to Seattle and the immediate region who simply don't belong there. Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing, and a huge percentage of Western Washington's transplants were basically raised on pure sunshine (300+ days a year in many locations) in California. So the resultant depression is of little shock.

What's most absurd to me is turning on any of the Seattle news outlets and listening to them ***** about the weather from October - May... like the near-constant cloud cover and drizzle/rain/wind come as some kind of an unpleasant surprise. This is just what the place is, and I personally find it delightful. But if it isn't your cup of tea, grousing about it isn't going to change anything.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,100 times
Y'know - we're not exactly 'chipper' during the other months either...

Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,586,699 times
You'd think we'd be a great town for blues music.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,204,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You'd think we'd be a great town for blues music.
Grunge music is basically blues with electric guitar

Old 12-17-2020, 10:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,891,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
And don't forget the white guys.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,237,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjorntheCold View Post
IMO, there are a lot of people who move to Seattle and the immediate region who simply don't belong there. Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing, and a huge percentage of Western Washington's transplants were basically raised on pure sunshine (300+ days a year in many locations) in California. So the resultant depression is of little shock.

What's most absurd to me is turning on any of the Seattle news outlets and listening to them ***** about the weather from October - May... like the near-constant cloud cover and drizzle/rain/wind come as some kind of an unpleasant surprise. This is just what the place is, and I personally find it delightful. But if it isn't your cup of tea, grousing about it isn't going to change anything.
Yeah... I completely agree with this. I don’t know what people expect when they move here and find out that yes, it is actually cold and rainy for most of the winter, and a good part of fall and spring. Seattle is almost synonymous with clouds and rain. You have to be really ignorant or sheltered to not know this.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:14 AM

8,182 posts, read 8,328,683 times
Quote:
That guy, I don’t agree with many of your posts but you are spot on here. I bike by Kurt Cobain’s last house (in WA Park) when he died almost every day. The park and bench next to his home has become a John Lennon-esque gathering place to remember him, people leave concert photos, t-shirts, paintings, vodka bottles. I’ve ridden by there probably 100 times, today I saw the most creepy/poignant thing I’ve ever seen, a baby doll I’m sure to look like the In Utero album cover.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,163,507 times
Quote:
Stevie Ray Vaughan FTW (RIP!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: