Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 04:23 PM

146 posts, read 174,068 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about retiring to the Seattle area. We came across what seems like a nice gated, 55+ community in Issaquah (online). We currently are in Denver. Thought on how suitable Issaquah would be for retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 05:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Seattle area is an order of magnitude more expensive than Denver and gets very little sun, issaquah is even rainier and cloudier than Seattle by a fair bit as well. It has shops and some medical facilities, but mostly it’s an expensive burb for tech workers.

I really can’t imagine retirement life in Washington, the weather alone would be enough to ruin the Golden years

Old 12-26-2020, 05:16 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Lots of seniors, the ones that can afford it, really enjoy it. I worked with clients in Providence Point and other households in the city. The biggest issue is that most retirees from other regions and states are simply priced out. Most of the ones I know either lived their lives here or had a lot of family to support them when they moved here(kids and grandkids). My mom looked into it briefly but decided it would eat away at her finances too quickly. Also, towards the end she felt our area (Eastside) was too uppity compared to her area (Minneapolis). I do agree with her. Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland and Sammamish are all pretty nice.

It’s beautiful, but I love your current area too...

Old 12-26-2020, 09:32 PM

44 posts, read 143,254 times
I live very close to a 55+ community that looks really welcoming and inclusive. It’s called Trilogy in Redmond Ridge. It’s not inexpensive, but looks a fun place to live.

https://www.mytrilogylife.com/redmondridge/

Old 12-27-2020, 06:25 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
We are thinking about retiring to the Seattle area. We came across what seems like a nice gated, 55+ community in Issaquah (online). We currently are in Denver. Thought on how suitable Issaquah would be for retirement?
The community you speak of is quite pleasant, close to any amenities you might need but also easy to drive out to the mountains, surrounding beauty.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:18 PM

70 posts, read 87,012 times
Issaquah is a nice option - close to downtown Bellevue and Seattle yet 30 minutes or so to some beautiful mountain scenery. Lots of options to engage in the community via volunteer or hobby groups. Great medical care in Issaquah but also in Bellevue and Seattle. As homes said, the community I assume you're referring to (Providence Point) is very nice.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:54 PM

84 posts, read 142,491 times
Providence Point is great. It is really well run and with over a thousand units there are many people to meet.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,703 times
If you don’t have a reason to move to the Pacific Northwest besides just looking for a nice place to retire, you should reconsider. Are you prepared for the darkness and rain? Granted, Denver snow is its own challenge but you will be dropping a *serious* amount of sunshine moving from the SW to the NW.
Santa Fe, NM, would be a better choice for retirees. Beautiful, interesting state, brimming with great scenery, art, culture, lovely weather, affordable... sunny, but still has a decent winter.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
I can think of few places more suitable in western WA, if this place is your thing. Issaquah is a gorgeous town and other than the occasional traffic snarl (in years past: dunno if this has changed) I'd carefully consider it.

I happen to like Kirkland better, at least while I'm working. So I live (here) and couldn't be budged barring anything that doesn't kill me. We shall see if that set of assumptions holds up when I too retire, tentatively planned for 9 years from now.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,691 times
There's 3 parts to Issaquah. Downtown, Issaquah Highlands, and Klahanie. Downtown being the most affordable. Most of the 55+ complexes are right by Gilman. Lots of stores, restaurants, parks, and right next to rt90. Not a bad place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area