Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
No one said that. What I said was, for us, in that situation, we felt priced out and left the area.
You left Seattle a while ago but still hang around the Seattle forum telling people how terrible it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,121,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
You left Seattle a while ago but still hang around the Seattle forum telling people how terrible it is here.
Lay off, She is being honest. If you have read most of her posts she is pretty positive of Seattle. And Seattle is pretty pricey.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 AM

69 posts, read 246,547 times
I find Jenbar's comments useful. It is another perspective. We also live comfortably in some ways (updating the house, buying a few new items of clothing once in a while, not worry too much about having a coffee) but frugally in other ways (1 car, don't eat out often, etc.) so I am interested to hear that even with that level of lifestyle 120k isn't sustainable in Seattle.

How much home equity would make that level of household income work? So you can live close to work, and have the usual comfortable yet frugal lifestyle. 200k? 400k?

Last edited by Chenebe; 05-07-2008 at 01:31 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 AM

10 posts, read 42,961 times
Just curious: so where did you move too? and was this place cheap enough to improve your quality of life
anyway, thanks for the useful contribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Well, we left the area when we were priced out and our quality of life suffered and could no longer afford the things you mentioned above. 3 kids, one tech husband, one housewife, $120k a year @ MS.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
We moved to the Austin suburbs... and yes, other than high property taxes, we have found the across the board cost of living to be lower, and with improved weather most of the year, so much to do with both family friendly activities and outdoorsy things, the friendly people and laid back lifestyle here, our quality of life is much higher. My husband got a job at Dell, and we can afford to live very close to his office, so he bikes most days. Just reducing that commute added so much to his quality of life... It was the right move for us... just like, while we were there, Seattle was right for us in many ways (when we were without children, when my husband was ramping up his skill set, etc) but it wasn't right for us long term, and for us to grow as a family, and adults... great scenary & seafood only gets you so far in life.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csfraw View Post
It's a tough business, but somebody has to do it or else we become extinct
You say that as if it'd be a bad thing.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This sort of thread just boggles my mind. How could a person possibly make $120k and have a difficult time getting by? Maybe if they had 12 children and did a lot of drugs. My God are people going to suffer in this country if there's another Great Depression.
I agree Woof. Let's break it down:

120k a year, thats 10k a month gross, take out 30 percent for taxes thats 7k a month net

You are telling me, even with a mortgage payment, bills, daycare, etc..You can't get by on $1750 a week?

My family is struggling right now because we are paying off 2 cars, and have a lot of student loan and credit card debt...However we make less than $85k combined. If we had 120k coming in, we would practically be living on easy street.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 42,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
120k a year, thats 10k a month gross, take out 30 percent for taxes thats 7k a month net
30% Tax?
Is that not too much? I hear there is no state tax
.. so only federal, so how come it is so much?

secondly with 3 kids and a housewife, don't i get a break?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM

426 posts, read 957,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csfraw View Post
30% Tax?
Is that not too much? I hear there is no state tax
.. so only federal, so how come it is so much?

secondly with 3 kids and a housewife, don't i get a break?

I'm guessing that he's erring on the high side intentionally, kind of a "worst-case" scenario.

But I could be all wet.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
I'm guessing that he's erring on the high side intentionally, kind of a "worst-case" scenario.

But I could be all wet.
Your assessment is correct. Most people aren't taxed at 30%, I was doing that as sort of an extreme scenario.

There is no state income tax, however property taxes are a bit high (not as bad as Texas though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area