Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,256 times

Advertisements

We may be heading to Seattle. I have 3 kids, 2 of which are in excellerated programs where we are currently. I need to know where to look for housing, excellent schools are the priority. Husband will be working in Renton.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:38 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
Issaquah might be a good place to look. Also Renton addresses in the Issaquah school district...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Girl View Post
We may be heading to Seattle. I have 3 kids, 2 of which are in excellerated programs where we are currently. I need to know where to look for housing, excellent schools are the priority. Husband will be working in Renton.

thanks
Well, your husband may start in Renton but one thing about Boeing is there's no guarantee if he will stay at Renton. They have a habit of moving people around quite a bit. Everett is the largest plant and many employees will do at least a tour of duty in Everett for a while.

Parts of Renton are very nice, and like the one poster said, some parts are in the Issquah school district which is one of the best. You can look as far north as probably Bellevue or Redmond (depending on how much you like to commute) and as far south as Auburn (though that won't offer advantages over Renton unless you like to live on acerage). You could try west towards Tukwila but I don't see any advantages with living over there.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Stay central to the Boeing locations, as you may have to drive to Everett.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
I agree with other posters- if you're buying, look at locations between Everett and Renton because you might have to work in Everett later. I have a friend who has to work in Renton and used to work in Everett... that's a horrific commute.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM

95 posts, read 380,467 times
Kent has a nationally recognized gifted student program. Renton has an excellent one as well. Both cities have good and bad areas, like any other. But, I agree with everyone else who is warning you about the high chance of your husband transferring to other Boeing locations, so it really depends on his position at Boeing. Some jobs transfer a lot, some are quite specific and may stay put where they start.
Good luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 18,514 times
I moved to Washington 2 year ago and was a teacher in Texas. My husband works at Boeing and we chose Bainbridge Island as our home. Although he has a 35 minute ferry ride and 20 minute commute to Renton, we love it on the Island. The school is second in Washington and the town is a wonderful place to raise children and enjoy island living. If you want to see Bainbridge Island or want more information, reply and I will send you a packet. Best regards, Gigi

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

327 posts, read 962,918 times
If school districts are a priority, then you really need to live in Issaquah/Bellevue area. If that's too painful on the pocket book, look at the east Renton Highlands since it's in the Issaquah school district.

Living along the I-90 corridor will be best location since Boeing is all over the place in Seattle like other people have mentioned. The thing about Boeing is you never know which site you may be working at 5 years in the future. If your husband will be working for BCA (i.e. Commercial aircraft), then your likely job sites are Renton, Boeing Field, Long Acres, Bellevue, and Everett. However, if he's working in IDS (i.e. Defense side of Boeing), then it's mainly Boeing Field, Kent, and Renton. There's exceptions to this and, of course, things change all the time as Boeing closes down programs and ramps up new ones.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I agree completely with wsugrad03, and would like to add that some Renton addresses are also in the Tahoma ( Maple Valley) school district, which is considered to be an excellent school district, on par with the eastside districts like Bellevue and Issaquah, and in a really pretty part of Renton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area