Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 03:37 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times

Advertisements

Why are the obese discriminated against so much in Seattle? We are strict about not discriminating against difference races, nationalities, religions, sexes, lifestyles, homeless people, rioters, drug addicts and more.

But a lot of people in Seattle love to see their city being ranked amongst the fittest and having low obesity rates.

https://komonews.com/news/local/stud...ttle-is-skinny

Should we not have some kind of laws against this type of discrimination? When I go to Greenlake, I notice that there are almost no fat people. Even if you count just sitting there and not exercising or walking. We have created an image of Seattle as a haven for hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, water sports etc... But no-one complains that this is discriminatory towards the overweight.

Why are the fat made to feel unwelcome in fitness conscious and liberal Seattle? Lets change this phenomenon please.

Last edited by usernametaken; 01-09-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Why are the obese discriminated against so much in Seattle? We are strict about not discriminating against difference races, nationalities, religions, sexes, lifestyles, homeless people, rioters, drug addicts and more.

But a lot of people in Seattle love to see their city being ranked amongst the fittest and having low obesity rates.

Should we not have some kind of laws against this type of discrimination? When I go to Greenlake, I notice that there are almost no fat people. Even if you count just sitting there and not exercising or walking. We have created an image of Seattle as a haven for hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, water sports etc... But no-one complains that this is discriminatory towards the overweight.

Why are the fat made to feel unwelcome in fitness conscious and liberal Seattle? Lets change this phenomenon please.
Do you have a specific example of someone being discriminated against due to their obesity?

I’m failing to see the logical connection between having low rates of obesity and actively discriminating against the obese.

Seattle is a fitness oriented city for sure, due in large part to its geography and the myriad opportunities presented. Maybe part of the reason it has lower rates of obesity is because it attracts more people who like to do physical activity and are less likely to be obese, and inspires people to go outside and be active. I don’t see how this is being discriminatory, so if you can explain more that would be great.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

I don't know any fat people, who feel unwelcome in Seattle, and I've known some not merely overweight, but actually obese people. People who were born and raised in Seattle. It never crossed their minds, that they might not be welcome. In fact, they've been quite popular in their own circles.

So, tell us, OP, what brings you to raise this concern? What's really on your mind?

Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 PM

141 posts, read 83,949 times
You cannot even use the word obese anymore, in reference to health issues- or for any other reason. It is like yelling the n-word in a crowded theatre. VERY unpopular.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslasucks View Post
You cannot even use the word obese anymore, in reference to health issues- or for any other reason. It is like yelling the n-word in a crowded theatre. VERY unpopular.
I’ve never heard of that. Obese is a medical term.

What is the PC term then?

Old 01-09-2021, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 83,949 times
PC term is victim.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I don't see this as any major issue in Seattle, or suburbs. We have so many other things to be concerned with today. If you feel like you or someone you know is being shamed, then have a conversation with the shamer and/or victim and explain your concerns. That is really all you can do, and if they don't change their behavior, there is nothing you can do about it. I guess I don't quite understand the premise of this thread. You can't control thoughts or comments from others. Live and let live.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-09-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 09:36 PM

365 posts, read 258,201 times
I don't like the idea of discriminating against people who struggle with their weight. Our government spent years giving us bad dietary advice. And the food recommendations were rigged by big-food to sell us to much wheat, corn and soy.

Check out the hot meals at your locals schools. Disgusting. No wonder kids eat so much junk food.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
I’m pretty certain the OP is trolling. The comment lacks logic, an understanding of discrimination and any understanding of laws and rights in the US. The comment’s central thesis doesn’t stand up to reason.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:27 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Why are the obese discriminated against so much in Seattle?

(snip)

Y'know, think you've read it all...and you're entitled to your opinion of course. Just one more aggrieved group requiring social justice, perhaps?

Not sure why this is a "Seattle" thing, but okay. If that study is correct, okay perhaps we have one of the lowest rates of obesity. This is indeed a health-conscious city, it seems to me. And that's just great. We know that the country has high rates of this in both men and women, though.

Normally I'd say a "law" RE so-called discrimination against fat people is retarded, but then again this is the year of that kind of thinking to take root. So who knows, maybe will happen. Along with laws against farting on the Sabbath, spitting on the sidewalk, picking your nose around children, other corporal crimes in police states. Bring it, I'm embracing the horror.

As a fat/obese person a good portion of my life, I bring a peculiar expertise to this matter(1). Are we "discriminated" against: I have no idea. I could not possibly give less of a hoot. I am responsible for my success and failure in life, be it career or personal. Some like me, others not, and "why" is a pointless question. And that's life. Someone wants to be body-dysmorphic and hate all fat people, they're welcome to it. And welcome to get the hell away from me, I don't want to hear about and I'll extend the same courtesy to their skinny ass.

Haven't walked Greenlake in awhile, didn't "notice" anything or anyone. Last time I spent significant time there was running circuits, as it's a good place to train. That being about 15 years ago when a half-marathoner. At one point past few years there were "homeless" living there, no idea if that's still going on: might be a better idea to focus on real problems instead of dwelling on fat people, but whatever.

(1) Bariatric surgery August 2020 to arrest and reverse the condition; so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area