Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 08:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

I'm not a pharmaceutical lover. I am, though, inclined to get the COVID 19 vaccine. Besides you "government is putting mini microchips in us to take away our free will" people, anybody have any solid reasons they are choosing to not get the vaccine or wait for awhile and see how the other guinea pigs do?

I live in a multi generational home so am eligible, tried a few places and just got an appointment in March at St Anne’s (formerly Highline) Hospital in Burien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Glad you were able to get an appointment. Seems like Washington is doing better than some other states in managing the roll out.

I intend to get one as soon as I am eligible.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I'll get it once it's readily available for my group. Nearly every adult should go before me though because nearly every adult interacts with more people than I do. These last couple years I have only gotten sick maybe once a year. When the kids were little I caught everything. I was sick 6-12 times a year just as they were. One advantage of them being more independent you don't hear about as much...

Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I'm not in a hurry to get it. For one thing. I'm interested to see what other companies release vaccines. Johnson & Johnson is almost finished with their trials of one that only requires one shot, and works in a different way from the current 2 that are available. I'm waiting to see if consumers will eventually have a choice, as well as to see how the early adopters react.

OTOH, there is that new strain circulating, that's even more contagious. That's kind of scary, when I stop to think about it. And the fact that they're booking 3 months out makes me wonder if I should get in line soon. I don't know what eligibility category I'm in, but I do have an auto-immune condition (thyroid).

So, I don't know. I'm undecided at this time.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I'd get one as soon as possible, but I'm not eligible yet.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:58 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I've never had a serious issue with a vaccine, so I have no reluctance. But the fact that we apparently will still need to wear masks after getting the vaccine puts me in less of a hurry. Anyway, I'm curious to see how the J&J DNA-based vaccine works out. It sounds about as efficacious (~90%), and you only need one shot.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:10 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I'm in my mid-20s, live alone, and work remotely. Not counting on getting it anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've never had a serious issue with a vaccine, so I have no reluctance. But the fact that we apparently will still need to wear masks after getting the vaccine puts me in less of a hurry.
The vaccine's efficacy isn't 100%. More to the point, though, if someone's not wearing a mask, there's no way to know if they've actually gotten the vaccine or are just being selfish. I guess some governments are creating "vaccine passports", but I have to imagine a lot of business owners aren't going to make people get theirs out, just in the interest of avoiding conflict. I think it makes sense for masks to still be expected until caseloads go waaaaayyy down.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm in my mid-20s, live alone, and work remotely. Not counting on getting it anytime soon.

The vaccine's efficacy isn't 100%. More to the point, though, if someone's not wearing a mask, there's no way to know if they've actually gotten the vaccine or are just being selfish. I guess some governments are creating "vaccine passports", but I have to imagine a lot of business owners aren't going to make people get theirs out, just in the interest of avoiding conflict. I think it makes sense for masks to still be expected until caseloads go waaaaayyy down.
Masks should go away once the majority of the population (70%) is vaccinated. I am not eligible yet, never had a problem with vaccines, but this one is brand new and will probably wait until the end of the year before I decide.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,385 times
Very strange that only the two (Pfizer and Moderna) brand new technology mRNA vaccines are approved in the US. They are also by far the most expensive ones for governments to purchase. Most of my younger friends are either trying to skip the vaccine entirely, or may take AstraZeneca or Novavex if approved. Older people are mostly going to take the mRNA ones from what I have seen.

The below makes me concerned:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...d-their-lipids

Lots of comments in there, especially after this one from a doctor:

Quote:
The nightmare scenario would be if e.g. the mRNA vaccines’ lipid nanoparticles are, indeed, crossing the BBB and getting endocytosed into critical glial cells, like oligodendrocytes, or even worse, into neurons themselves in the brain and spinal cord, putting a bullseye on these critical cells for cytotoxic CD8 lymphocytes. If so, we’d be setting the stage for a rash of multiple sclerosis and ALS-type clinical scenarios down the road with multiple boosters. My old medical colleagues have been getting especially concerned about this possibility, and I think this may be behind the recent sharp plunge in willingness among more and more healthcare workers to take the mRNA vaccines.
A cousin doctor of mine said that there is a small amount that will likely cross the blood brain barrier (BBB), but "most likely" not a long-term issue.

My question is what if we take these two-dose vaccines every year? No buildup?

Good luck to those who take it, but please do not ever let your children get this when they eventually target them:

https://www.vox.com/22225218/kids-co...hool-reopening

Quote:
The disease has killed about 190 children in the US, compared with more than 281,000 people age 65 and older.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

I understand the reasons; it just weakens my motivation to fight the mob to get a vaccine shot. Anyway, the vaccine's efficacy is apparently much higher than what is being reported. Most test subjects who had the vaccine and still got sick with COVID-19 only got a weakened form of the illness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/18/b...us-deaths.html

Quote:
Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area