Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 11:04 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,092,197 times

Advertisements

The weather here is actually one of the good things. Very few places in the US have better weather and they are mostly in coastal California and Southern Oregon. But weather is a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 11:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
You mean the beautiful green moss and lichen sparking with raindrops, and the soft muted light from overcast skies? Yeah, I'll never get sick of that.

If your place is dirty, clean it up.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,899,282 times
DH was just last night complaining about it being 80 degrees and humid at our Texas house. Walking the dog there leaves one sweaty and wanting to shower afterward almost year-round, blech, compared to the ease of donning and doffing a rain jacket here.

I think the OP's fundamental complaint is the feeling of being trapped. One's opinion of any situation/location improves considerably with a sense of options and agency.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM

118 posts, read 68,579 times
we are in a drought in California.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:38 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Please Lord, give me enough money to Leave asap.
When you make a deal with the Devil, you get what you bargained for.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:59 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
I'm thankful for this time of year. For those of us with property (like actual land, not just a building) it's important to have a couple months where the land isn't demanding of our attention and we can research and plan. Or just enjoy.

This winter I'm learning about beekeeping.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:18 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,714,752 times
As a person gets older, most seem to be "cold" more, I know I am, but it's more about a "wet cold". My family is 4th generation locals and unfortunately warming is real. Most who can afford it do not spend their winters here. Winters have turned from at least a few weeks of enough snow to sled and ski on as a kid to being lucky if we get one day with enough snow to even slow down traffic. This has resulted in more rain, more mud, and more mosquitos, which I despise.
I actually don't mind the snow or even a very cold but clear and sunny day, but these dark soggy muddy days for weeks on end do get very old. It crosses my mind often, that I could trade about 6 months of wet misery here for 2 months of excessive heat and the balance of the year being more desirable in another environment.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:44 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,689,651 times
The struggle is real. That's why so many retirees head down to Arizona for the winter. They're not complaining on this thread because they're basking in the warmth. Those who stay either love the weather here or are stuck for work or family commitments.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:13 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Why would anyone rich and we have a crap load of rich people in Seattle stick around during Oct to March.

I have said it before I have to make money and its pretty good up here but other than that its very depressing in this region. Its crowded, dirty, muddy everywhere, moss growing on sidewalks and the weather makes its hard to leave the house cause the dreary weather sucks the life out of you. And the views are awful , no horizons as far as the eye can eye which lifts the sprits.

I dream of the Southwest everyday.

Please Lord, give me enough money to Leave asap.
WTH?! Muddy? Where? I lived in a neighborhood without sidewalks, and even there, it wasn't muddy. Moss on the sidewalks? Where?! The dreary weather/ Get out in it; take walks if it's not raining too hard, or if it's only overcast. Are you sure it's the weather that's depressing you, and not the Covid restrictions, restaurant closures, and all? Normally on an overcast or misty day, you could go down to PP Market, get some nice Russian dumpling soup and the Georgian hole-in-the-wall place across the street from the Market, OR have a nice Bolivian dish at the Copacabana on the 2nd floor, where you can watch the ferries come and go, and browse the market offerings, get some fresh veggies to take home. The quintessential Seattle day. Take in the Seattle Art Museum, while you're downtown.

You just don't know where to find the views, it sounds like. Drive up to Deception Pass, or Edmonds, and walk along the waterfront. Or see if there's anything happening at Seattle Center; sometimes they have big craft fairs.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:52 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,464,697 times
Fifth generation Northwest Washington native here who should be used to it by now. Actually, I don’t mind the rain if there are some cloudy only or a broken clouds to mix it up. The only time I wish it wasn’t raining is when I take the dogs out fir their every two hour walk. Even with their rain jackets, they still manage to ge5 wet if there is a downpour. However, I usually get many indoor projects completed like moving heavy furniture, giving or selling items, doing income taxes, drawing and painting, etc. But, I am an outdoor person so I look for signs of spring like the crocuses I planted last November and the hellebores which are already blooming. I can also drool over seed catalogues and plan for the vegetable garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area