Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:58 PM

527 posts, read 384,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I am a Texas resident. Nearly 50,000 people have died of COVID in Texas alone, one tenth the total deaths in the US and ten times the number of deaths in Washington State. Houston's Texas Medical Center overfloweth with all of its ICU beds full and even its added pandemic ICU beds are at 82% capacity (nearly 2,000 ICU beds in just one hospital district in a single city). Texas ranks third to last in COVID vaccination rate and, despite having already very feeble restrictions, Texas posted one of the worst 2020 economic outcomes among the states.* Rational Texans are simply not going out and spending money because they are hunkered down avoiding fools who deny the threat of COVID and bleat uneducated nonsense about 'freedoms'. Already businesses are saying, not so fast. Ignoring COVID does not make it go away, it makes your customers go away.

Abbott is an incompetent, flip-flopping fish of a politician. This latest bone-headed move of his is just a deflection from Texas's catastrophic failure to provide basic first-world services to its residents during the recent winter storm, a humiliation on the world stage which laid bare the consequences of mythical free market idolatry. (But note well just how fast the state of Texas sought a handout from the American taxpayers. Which Biden to his credit approved immediately and quietly without any demand for public ring-kissing or b**t-licking.)

*(Washington State, by the way, did just fine economically and even saw an increase in revenues while maintaining one of the lowest death rates in the country. The results speak for themselves.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/b...sultPosition=1
Texas is 151 deaths per 100,000 people
Washington is 65

How do you get that Texas has ten times the death rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 09:05 AM

441 posts, read 434,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
It’s extremely difficult to compare between states with different demographics, especially if you have different metrics of what ‘combating the virus’ means. Like, was their per capita infection and/or death rate better than WA? Or is their rate currently going down the same as us, but more deaths/illnesses occurred? Or did they peak at a different time? Or would it have been even worse here without the restrictions? And was it in cities or elsewhere? How crowded are those places? What was their compliance with safety measures?
Ultimately you do the best you can with the value judgements you made, and there’s just a lot of uncertainty... NO ONE can truly know the effect of each particular regulation.
exactly it's comparing apples and oranges.

I live down in Portland, and we will finally be sending the kids back to school. Hybrid which is fine. My daughter is doing okay but her grades are not as goo as they can be, but we are not stressing over it too much. I am sure plenty of kids are having struggles. She is a freshman so grades might be a little less important but next year she needs to buckle down no matter what. She wants to go to college. She needs to understand it's more than just filling out some papers of the schools she is interested in. I would love for her to go to PCC for a year maybe two then transfer. Not sure how we will even pay the huge expense.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:33 PM

290 posts, read 287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy1986 View Post
This is state tax revenues being compared. Not the state’s residence/populations economic health

Do you know how many factors go into this equation of a state’s tax revenue?

But logically thinking:

People left California in DROVES and the state was drastically shut down. Do you really think California had more tax revenue in 2020?

Same with New York, I’m sure it went down more than 4%
Not sure that CA’s actual tax collections were higher in 2020 (those numbers aren’t yet available) but according to the CA Legislative Analyst’s Office, revenues for the three main taxes (personal income, corporate, and sales) exceeded projections by $18.2 billion from April-December. For reference that excess would have funded around 20% of WA’s 2019 operating budget.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,643,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
Not sure that CA’s actual tax collections were higher in 2020 (those numbers aren’t yet available) but according to the CA Legislative Analyst’s Office, revenues for the three main taxes (personal income, corporate, and sales) exceeded projections by $18.2 billion from April-December. For reference that excess would have funded around 20% of WA’s 2019 operating budget.
I haven't seen numbers, but I imagine the income gap grew considerably last year. Tech did very well. Others didn't....

Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 PM

290 posts, read 287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I haven't seen numbers, but I imagine the income gap grew considerably last year. Tech did very well. Others didn't....
You are right; some sectors such as hospitality and tourism were hit much harder than others. In the December report, the state legislative analyst office speculated that revenues were higher than expected because year-end bonuses were higher. If a few people were getting bonuses while others were struggling on unemployment compensation, that would certainly exacerbate income inequality.

That said, CA’s progressive income tax system hits higher earners very hard. The actual percentage they pay (as opposed to everyone else) varies due to economic conditions such as stock prices and so on. But in recent years the top 1% have paid around 50% of the total tax collected by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area