Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 8,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsap View Post
I'll put this is in a more gentle way.
Why do I think Seattle isn't a good place to move?

Violent homelessness is spreading all over the city. Criminals with tons of charges re-released out onto the streets after one night. The city council and mayor will not allow the police to enforce these crimes. Because the attitude that leaving them on the streets and giving them free needles and not enforcing crime is "kind and tolerant". And how dare anyone point out the truth sitting right in front of them, they would be deemed "intolerant" "bigot" "racist" etc etc. There are used needles all over the parks. Drug addicts breaking into cars with no consequence, "just another day" "don't call cops they won't do anything".

Meanwhile, while that is going on on your streets, you are also paying sky high housing costs.

Next problem, infrastructure. If you need to commute anywhere during rush hour, this is one of the worst places to do it. Because of all the water and narrow strips of land, there are choke points everywhere. You can easily take 30 minutes to get 5 blocks from downtown, to merge onto I-5.

Next, the city is very intolerant of alternative opinions. If you love LGBTQAPCNSWIOEFNERFLMDCFNIVWC++++, and you don't enjoy thinking for yourself, and you can't google things for yourself, and you only look at the title of articles spoon fed to you on Facebook, then you will fit in. If you enjoy researching on your own and thinking outside of that cultural woke box, you will be hated here. It's kinda like the ignorance of the deep south, but on the opposite spectrum.

The one great thing about this region is the thriving economy. High paying jobs everywhere for every industry. So many opportunities. If you can look past hour long commutes, needles and property crime everywhere, and you conform to the woke trendy box, the region itself is very beautiful.

Good luck.
SPOT ON !! Seattle is not interested in the WHY or outcomes ....just jump on the band wagon and ask no questions lol !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 10:49 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahnatella View Post
SPOT ON !! Seattle is not interested in the WHY or outcomes ....just jump on the band wagon and ask no questions lol !!
Meanwhile, I just got back from a great bike ride along Lake Washington through Leschi to Seward Park. Do you really think it's possible that so many of us are being deceived, brainwashed or can you imagine the possibility that there are a lot of people who actually love it here?

Old 03-28-2021, 11:03 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Next, the city is very intolerant of alternative opinions. If you love LGBTQAPCNSWIOEFNERFLMDCFNIVWC++++, and you don't enjoy thinking for yourself, and you can't google things for yourself, and you only look at the title of articles spoon fed to you on Facebook, then you will fit in. If you enjoy researching on your own and thinking outside of that cultural woke box, you will be hated here. It's kinda like the ignorance of the deep south, but on the opposite spectrum.

What are you doing wrong? lol. I never knew the political views of anyone around me, when I lived in Seattle. The topic never came up, in any context. Are you trolling strangers or co-workers? Even now, when I visit and stay for a few weeks, politics never comes up.

But we get it; you're mad. So, when are you moving away?

Old 03-28-2021, 11:06 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahnatella View Post

Quote:
Abuja is the capital and eighth most populous city of Nigeria.

How would you know so much about what life in Seattle is like?

Old 03-28-2021, 12:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Meanwhile, I just got back from a great bike ride along Lake Washington through Leschi to Seward Park. Do you really think it's possible that so many of us are being deceived, brainwashed or can you imagine the possibility that there are a lot of people who actually love it here?
I think people have different experiences depending on where they live in the area, what their income is etc.

People with higher income will have more choices and will be able to enjoy what the city has to offer and minimize the downsides.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Seattle is full of property crime. Housing costs are sky high. Commuting is a nightmare. Bridges broken, mouse trap road patterns. People in Seattle are pompous passive aggressive pricks. Maybe avoid Washington state if you want a good quality of life.
I'll second this. Seattle is a pit. It used to be a decent place to live and work maybe 20 years ago but not anymore. OP you're making a big mistake. Look at other places maybe like Salt lake city if you can. If not maybe north of Seattle or south but keep in mind that Seattle has a cancer and it is spreading.

I've lived here for 32 years and I have to say, you will regret doing it.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I find it rather odd that some people will just slam a place so bad and even continue to live there.
That sounds rather unstable.

My WA neighbors, friends and I don’t talk politics.
We don’t avoid it.
We just haven’t because there is just so many other things.
We don’t much mention religion for the same reasons.

I work in San Francisco and consider it a very nice place to work and visit.
We do the same there.

I don’t hang out with “Debbie Downers”.
I find myself just fine with out them.

You know?
Being unhappy is unhealthy right?

Old 03-28-2021, 03:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Some of us expect more from the world around us, and each other. Some just live in their own little worlds. Seattle used to be much better and can do much better were it not for certain people in charge. What Kitsap is saying is true.

You had a nice bike ride? Past the tents filled with druggies and homeless which you didn't even notice no doubt. There's places (a lot of them) that we both know you wouldn't even drive through. There's plenty of rich people in the 3rd world and speaking of which I think the Seattle area is one step below that. It's getting downright Neolithic in ways.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:10 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Some of us expect more from the world around us, and each other. Some just live in their own little worlds. Seattle used to be much better and can do much better were it not for certain people in charge. What Kitsap is saying is true.

You had a nice bike ride? Past the tents filled with druggies and homeless which you didn't even notice no doubt. There's places (a lot of them) that we both know you wouldn't even drive through. There's plenty of rich people in the 3rd world and speaking of which I think the Seattle area is one step below that. It's getting downright Neolithic in ways.
Scrat, you don't know me or what I see. You don't know what charities we support or where we donate money as a family. Yeah, I get it, we have challenges, every city on the West Coast does, it's real and heartbreaking at times. This "all or nothing Seattle is bad" thing though just isn't right.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
To the OP:

No one has asked what your budget is. Will you buy or rent?

If you can afford a City of Seattle neighborhood, I believe that would be much less culture shock for you, and it's quite easy to get around via public transit - I frequently do so myself, although I do not have any kids with me

My suggestions would be Queen Anne, Capitol Hill (yes, there are single-family homes in Capitol Hill!), Leschi, Madrona, Madison Valley, Madison Beach/Park, or Montlake.

Secondary recommendations would be the "next ring" of neighborhoods, to the north (Ballard, Wallingford, Fremont, Phinney Ridge, Ravenna/Bryant) or to the south (Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Mount Baker, Seward Park). Please note that the southern neighborhoods of the City of Seattle are much more diverse in terms of both race/ethnicity and poverty/affluence, and this shows up in the public schools there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area