Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Go to your doctor and have him write you a note that it is his medical opinion that it is not advisable for you to do jury duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 01:57 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s crazy, I’m 34 years old and not once have I been summoned for jury duty. My dad is a prominent attorney in the town I grew up in and part of me wonders if I was put on some sort of blacklist. Nobody in my family has been called for jury duty to my knowledge. Perhaps I shouldn’t complain but I’ve always thought it would be cool to do it at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, as I posted earlier, part of me wanted to do it just for the experience. As I get older I actually want to experience things I have not yet experienced. I guess that may be pretty normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I have served jury duty one time in my life. It's when we lived in Everett and the trial was at Snohomish County District Court. This guy was driving drunk on the Trestle leading from Everett towards Snohomish and a rookie female Washington State Patrol Officer pulled him over. He was swerving while driving and fought her all the way while she tried to get him arrested and processed. This was back around 1990 or so. I was picked to serve on the jury. The pay was something like $100 a day and the trial lasted a day and a half...
I really enjoyed it when I served. My case was a "kid" though he was 21, who was a serial thief. He had stolen a lot of items and gifts from under other people's Christmas trees at Christmas time, including some big ticket items like guitars and amps, and a few guns. He gave the guns to his mom for Christmas.

It was good to get him off the street. He was a stealer of joy. He earned his third through seventh felony theft strike, and we voted him OUT.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Every county must do this differently. I live in a rural county & for the first time in my life, I received a summons for jury duty, and, of course, it was at the beginning of the pandemic. I completed the questionnaire & returned it, and I'm excused indefinitely.

I would have loved jury duty when I was working. I had a very stressful & emotionally draining job and would have received my full salary plus mileage to & from the courthouse. My office mates were delighted to be on jury duty. I was jealous.

Now I could give a crap. I'm not interested in hearing about a tweaker doing tweaker stuff.

In your position, follow the suggestion in post #21.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:26 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Show up, but in either a NRA or a BLM tee shirt.

Here in Los Angeles County, the dress code for jurors states that you must not wear clothes with writing on it. In fact, no t-shirts or sweat suits period.

If you show up without proper dress code, they can send you home, and you must come back the next day properly dressed.

They can also fine you, though it's unlikely they'll do so unless you come in two days without the proper dress code.

I don't know how strictly dress code is enforced. I've been in jury rooms were a few of the jurors were pushing the envelop, yet they had not been sent home.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have been on two juries, the first in Oakland, CA, and it was a drug related murder. AT the time, my best friend was an Assistant District Attorney and by coincidence walked in to ask the judge something during jury selection. He saw me and stopped to say hi. Because of that the defense attorney wanted me off but had used up all of his challenges, and after asking me about knowing an ADA the judge left me on the jury. I have to say that I really enjoyed being on the juries. The other couple of times I was called were boring, just sitting and waiting, then released when not needed.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:17 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
I was only on a jury once. A man, about 25, was charged with waiting for elderly ladies in wheel chairs outside an assisted care facility to beat them up and steal their purses. Since he confessed, and retracted his confession, it was a pretty easily call to convict. It turned out to be his third conviction for doing exactly the same thing.

During jury selection, knowing nothing about me other than my name and that I'm an engineer, the DA spent several minutes lecturing me about the need to use common sense in a trial and not insisting on absolute, irrefutable proof. I think engineers have a bad reputation among lawyers.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:15 PM

15,828 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
During jury selection, knowing nothing about me other than my name and that I'm an engineer, the DA spent several minutes lecturing me about the need to use common sense in a trial and not insisting on absolute, irrefutable proof. I think engineers have a bad reputation among lawyers.
The rumor I'd long heard is that the defense lawyers don't like people from Boeing on juries, because those workers tend to be highly analytical in their thinking and will treat each case like an engineering problem.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:54 AM

I see they have TV ads now trying to convince us jury duty is "safe". Sure, it's probably a little "safer" than it used to be, but it's still nowhere near as safe as staying home. Trusting the government with your personal safety is a dubious proposition. I'd prefer to wait until I can get a vaccine.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:12 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
The rumor I'd long heard is that the defense lawyers don't like people from Boeing on juries, because those workers tend to be highly analytical in their thinking and will treat each case like an engineering problem.

I looked across the jury table at that Boeing mechanic and said "uh, what did this guy do right?" 7 mixed drinks in 7 hours and then driving fast and mad on the trestle? Then he created a fuss to the female rookie Washington State Patrol Officer, so much so that she needed backup ta bring the dude in.

You're busted.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I looked across the jury table at that Boeing mechanic and said "uh, what did this guy do right?" 7 mixed drinks in 7 hours and then driving fast and mad on the trestle? Then he created a fuss to the female rookie Washington State Patrol Officer, so much so that she needed backup ta bring the dude in.

You're busted.
It looks like you're trying to relate an experience, but I'm unclear about your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area