Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 01:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,274 times

Advertisements

It definitely makes sense here - in fact, the homebuilder I work for in Bellevue will be installing solar panels (and electric car chargers) in all new homes going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 02:30 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,838 times
The purely economical question is not just whether it saves you money on your utility bill, it’s how much it saves, how long it takes to get a return on your investment, and what the opportunity cost is (you could have put that same money in the stock market and made 8% per year.

There are some benefits to having a local source of power for blackouts, and some benefits in terms of reduced green house gas emissions. But if it’s purely economics, I’d want to see hard data on whether it is worthwhile, before I’m convinced.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:41 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If the object is to have power during black-outs, then a whole house generator is probably cheaper and a lot less ugly. Solar isn't going to give you power during a black-out unless you have a battery system, which is not cheap.

The biggest downside to solar that I can see is the problem of all the collectors on your roof when you need to replace the roof.

For a big plus, if you could run your electric car 100% on electricity collected on your own roof.

As for economical, it takes solar a very long time to pay back the cost of installing it, Pretty close to the life of the system, so I don't think economy is a good reason to get solar.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:18 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,025 times
If you research what's going on with solar in countries like Germany (which is supposed to have a climate somewhat similar to western Washington), you discover that you don't really need to live in a super sunny place to get to 100% solar powered on most structures. For the record, I'm no expert on this but it is something that solar experts who have traveled the world pointed out to me when I was researching this several years ago.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:08 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
I thought that solar panels were not as useful in western WA due to long cloudy winters but now a days I see many new homes being built with solar panels. I contacted couple of solar companies and they make it sound like its a good investment. I understand that they have to sell their business but I am not sure if it makes practical sense to install solar panels?

My main motivation for installing solar is to save on utility bills. Any one here has personal experience with solar panels in western WA? Is it a good investment?

Thanks.
Financial sense? In an area with a lot of rain and cloud cover, and that it's far enough north that it gets about 8 hours of daylight (and far less when the sun is high enough to make solar cells efficient) in the winter? No. If you want to virtue signal, and don't mind forcing taxpayers to pay for your signal of it, perhaps.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:10 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the object is to have power during black-outs, then a whole house generator is probably cheaper and a lot less ugly. Solar isn't going to give you power during a black-out unless you have a battery system, which is not cheap.

The biggest downside to solar that I can see is the problem of all the collectors on your roof when you need to replace the roof.

For a big plus, if you could run your electric car 100% on electricity collected on your own roof.

As for economical, it takes solar a very long time to pay back the cost of installing it, Pretty close to the life of the system, so I don't think economy is a good reason to get solar.
Well, unless you're at work during daylight hours....

Old 05-26-2021, 10:42 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,787 times
WA State is still offering 'incentives' for residential solar (currently $5K for up to 12 kW), in addition to the Federal Income Tax Credit, neither of which is likely to last forever. So if it's something you're seriously considering, and reasonably 'pencils out', then it makes sense to do it now rather than later. And as already noted, offsetting your power bill with 'net metering' is more practical and less 'maintenance intensive' than going totally solar, which would also require the added cost of 'battery backup'. And even the worst case is you might simply need additional panels to offset the loss of 'efficiency'.

Here's a good calculator for estimated costs and savings by system size and county....
Current solar panel costs near you in WA State

Old 05-30-2021, 01:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
My Sequim composition roof is aging.
In the next few years I will replace it with a metal roof and a solar system.

I like metal roofs.
They last a long time.
I haven’t seen any with moss growing on them and they are more fire resistant.

We have a solar powered drip system and keep the panels in the shade.
I was leery about that at first but the manufacturer said it would be just fine.
That system has been working great for years so I’m thinking my overcast won’t be that much of an issue.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
As others have mentioned, solar panels do work in cloudy weather, just not with the same proficiency. So it comes down to whether it is cost effective. The solar salesperson will probably not give you the best stats on this.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:32 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,512 times
Solar panel use heats up as installation costs fall (article published May 27, 2021)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...fe4_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area