Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 12:06 PM

735 posts, read 654,385 times

Advertisements

I’ve spent weeks at a time up there visiting family, so I already have a general feel for the area (I love it). I’m wondering about the more long-term differences from CA east bay and what things I need to adjust to. How are general attitudes, nightlife, politics and vibes in Bremerton? I would be living in a rural area with my family at first, but Bremerton would be the nearest “city”, and I don’t have tons of experience with it. Also, how is the ferry commute to Seattle during rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 01:22 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
I was there a couple of weeks ago with a client, the place certainly has redeeming qualities and has come a long way. You can still get a home in the little historic district there for $375-$425k, view places in the Manette area of Bremerton are (relatively) affordable as well. There is a straight shot ferry from Bremerton to Seattle, the boats that carry cars take about an hour and are frequent and large capacity. Fast passenger only commuter ferry is handy too, about 30 minutes. Here’s the link: https://www.kitsaptransit.com/servic...ton-fast-ferry

Port Orchard is a popular option near there as well.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-13-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 04:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I spent a long day there just a few weeks ago.
It’s a nice place and I like it.

I don’t do the nightlife thing or worry about politics so I can not add anything to those areas.

I did see a whole lot of nice middle class living and thought that was refreshing.

All the people I bumped into doing my shopping stuff were very warm and nice.

I bet there are some really nice places just off the beaten path.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:29 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
The ferry commute is fine, as long as you are aware of general ferry-commute principles (i.e., when to show up for the ferry).

Bremerton is probably a bit more akin to Tacoma than Seattle, due to the large Navy presence. Very working class, and in terms of "new development," somewhat behind and slower than much of the Puget Sound region.

Kitsap County is probably generally much more progressive than the US as a whole, but more centrist than Seattle/King County. In terms of the political binary, Bremerton is marginally Democratic, Bainbridge Island is very Democratic, and Silverdale and much of unincorporated Kitsap County are much more conservative/Republican.

Pretty quiet town. I don't ever get the feeling that life revolves around Seattle and the urban hustle, unlike the east side suburbs (Bellevue etc.)

Old 04-14-2021, 10:47 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
My buddy bought property on Whidbey, and also has a home in Bellevue that he rents. We both ride. Not surprisingly, that's the smart money when dealing with any of our ferries as commuting is for the birds via car. Out in the San Juans this past weekend, I dodged hours of lines coming back on a Sunday evening by being one of very few bikers. It's cold, dark, and dangerous to bike commute for months so...work from home I guess.

Point being, think on the cost of the ferries and how often you'll cross over. If driving, research it well. Walking is the preferred option and I've done a few day trips to Bainbridge and similar by walking from downtown Seattle...multiple bus rides if you're into that. If time isn't a thing, go for it. While I'm working (peak earning years) that math doesn't add up, so I live eastside and will until I retire. When that day comes, I may well take a close look at Kitsap (Poulsbo and Silverdale appeal to me). Trips to King County would be weekly at best, and yes the Kitsap vibe is vastly different.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times
In the early aughts when I was looking to buy a home I got excited about the Bremerton area, much more house for the price. I worked then in Ballard and a quick commuting cost eval (and limitations that come with) quickly ended that option.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
What's the job market like in Bremerton / Kitsap at the moment?

Old 04-22-2021, 07:48 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
What's the job market like in Bremerton / Kitsap at the moment?
That would depend on what field you're in.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would depend on what field you're in.
That's the issue with me.

My job will be outsourced within 2 years.

I'm 51 (look 40).

The field does not exist in B-town and I don't want to live in the seattle metro area again.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:24 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Check jobs on Indeed.com for Bremerton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area