Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 AM

11 posts, read 55,139 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I am another one thinking of relocating to one of these two cities. If anyone out there lives in either Portland or Seattle, or if you've lived in both, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. What I care about: traffic and how to avoid it, if SAD really exists and what you can do about it, the theatre/performing arts scene, the art scene, dive bars, neighborhood descriptions, and places I can take my dog. What I don't care about: the weather (since it sounds about the same), sports teams, outdoor sports, and who pumps the gas. Thank you to anyone that can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 AM

46 posts, read 371,922 times
I have lived in both and of the things you mention, both cities cater to all of that so it balances out. There are things I like and dislike about both but Seattle to me just has more of all of it, including traffic. It's a trade-off personally I feel is worth it. And oh yes, SAD does exist. I just turn on more lights in wintertime and make sure I keep active, one of the first things I noticed about both cities was how many people continue to do outdoor stuff even in the rain, compared to other places I've lived. Visit both downtowns and in Portland check out the NW district and Hawthorne and take the dog for a hike in WashingtonPark, and in Seattle visit downtown, Capitol Hill, University District, and take your dog for a walk around Green Lake, just be sure to bring baggies to clean up after him/her regardless

Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM

So am I right in assuming that in Seattle Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are pricey neighborhoods to live in? And the same for Portland in Hawthorne, Irvington, and North Portland? What are the Fremont and Wallingford neighborhoods like? Where do you live now? Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:56 PM

Not Queen Anne, but Belltown.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Good place to live in Seattle is South Shore. Look into it.. East Lake is also a very nice place. My Brother used to live there.. now he has a house in South Shore.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 AM

South Shore is down there by Steward Park, right? I don't think I'd want to live that far away from downtown.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieranea View Post
So am I right in assuming that in Seattle Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are pricey neighborhoods to live in? And the same for Portland in Hawthorne, Irvington, and North Portland? What are the Fremont and Wallingford neighborhoods like? Where do you live now? Thanks again.
Are you renting? Personally I'd say it it's all too expensive, but probably the cheapest close to downtown is First Hill. It's all mixed up though, all the neighborhoods have good and seedy areas, and the seedy places don't necessarily have lower rents.

If you go to the Seattle Times classified section, you can put your rental prices and criteria in and have them email you when something suitable shows up: http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/SearchIndex.asp

I think Fremont, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill are interesting places to live that have their own character. I wouldn't mind living in Magnolia either, it's pretty and has Discovery Park, which is large and fun to walk or bike through. During the time I lived in Seattle, it seemed to me that most dive bars were in the Capitol Hill area, and maybe Belltown, although I don't really know too much about that scene.

As for SAD, the best way to deal with it is to get outside for at least one half hour every morning - that works even on overcast days. There are also special lighted goggles that can be used for 20 minutes, those are meant for hardcore cases.

Last edited by Woof; 01-02-2007 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM

46 posts, read 371,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieranea View Post
Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are more expensive however you can get older studios for relatively cheap, same goes for Hawthorne respective to Portland rents, Irvington is a great choice but its hipness might have already jacked up the price too much, and North Portland should be cheaper but you should be able to pretty quickly get a vibe for any neighborhood between the convention center and N Portland and if you like it and can afford it I'd go for it. You might also check out the Hollywood district in Portland. In Seattle Fremont and Wallingford might be slightly cheaper than CH and QA but if you go further north to Green Lake, Geenwood, Maple Leaf, or Licton Springs you can pay less money with good bus routes into downtown. Northgate is a good choice if you feel it out and like it, it's changing for the better as is a lot of North Seattle. Some other ideas closer to downtown would be lower Queen Anne and even Belltown if you stay away from the hi-rises and look for that rare older building with a studio, same goes for First Hill, and Georgetown south of downtown Seattle is an industrial, artsy up and coming hood worth taking a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area