Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 02:52 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,394,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
.......... Wear a mask. Get vaccinated.

Umm.... if this vaccine works, why do I have to wear a mask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 03:01 PM

61 posts, read 40,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Particularly outdoors? No science supports the mandates in King and Pierce Counties - it is one hundred percent politicians desperately clinging to a placebo.

The vaccines do work. But I've never for a moment bought off on the idea that people wearing single-ply paper masks amounted to any sort of protection. N95s? Sure, that's possible. But how many people do you see in a legitimate, filtered medical mask? I'd guess that a statistically insignificant portion of the population possesses one.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,310,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
From my understanding, it's because vaccinated people can still spread the virus even if they don't get sick.

But honestly as a vaccinated person, I kind of resent having to still wear a mask at this point, as it seems to be mostly to protect the lives of people who are too stupid to protect themselves by getting vaccinated.

So yeah, I myself don't fully understand why we need mask requirements while the vaccine has long been widely available. At this point shouldn't we just let everyone make their own choices and take their own risks? I definitely don't have any opposition to anyone wearing a mask, at any time for any reason, but I'm tired of them myself, and I don't want it to be a requirement forever, unless there's a legit reason. Not having to wear one anymore was one of my motivations for getting vaccinated. And I thought that was the CDC guideline, but I've lost track at this point.

Another motivation for my getting vaccinated back in May, was because I want all this to be over and let us finally move on from this pandemic saga. So I'm sad that that still doesn't seem to be the case, even after it was looking more promising a few months ago. I want to finally be able to properly enjoy Seattle which I've lived in for almost 2 years now.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 719,709 times
Masks work simply by a means of reducing the distance away from you that your breath and thus pathogens spread. Due to much higher viral load from the Delta variant, you really should be wearing a KN95 mask. And outdoors, it is much less necessary, but if you are in a crowd, then there's more chance of the virus spreading from multiple sources (so a random person walking through may get hit from multiple sources and inhale enough virus to overcome defenses.

I don't like masks and I consequently just avoid places that require them (unless I have to duck into a store for a few minutes, in which case it is FINE.

My wife works for an institution that requires 100% indoor mask wearing, all day, in every circumstance. Even if in a part of the building entirely on her own, all day. She has no problem with it, doesn't even notice it any more. I don't think any of her coworkers caught Covid at work, this entire pandemic (whoever could work from home did so). Even when the mask mandate was dropped, and even though they are likely all vaccinated, they kept wearing masks.

Finally, we are doing all this, not just to preserve ourselves, but to give our healthcare workers a break. I know that I would quit in disgust if I kept having to suffer long shifts and mental and physical strain while unvaccinated people kept filling up my hospital. I'm not as good a person as these people who are on the front lines, fighting for us against COVID.

If you want to win against covid, asking what is the least you could do will not work. You need to ask, what is the most you can REASONABLY do.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,310,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I don't like masks and I consequently just avoid places that require them (unless I have to duck into a store for a few minutes, in which case it is FINE.
Agreed on that point. Putting it on for 5 minutes in the grocery store is definitely no big deal. I don't like having to wear one for long periods of time. Just so tired of those things. Would definitely prefer it be an individual choice as much as possible.

I've complied with every rule since this thing started, but I was under the impression that it was a temporary situation until we got the vaccine distributed. Could be my ignorance, but I'm still not fully clear why we can't just move on to normalcy now, or what the plan or timeline is here, since the vast majority of people getting any kind of significantly sick are those not vaccinated. And since you can't force vaccination on everyone.

And yes I hear the point about hospital bed shortage and all that, but it just seems to me if we got society basically fully back to normal (or the new normal), really the main consequence is that some people will die a preventable death or get really sick by their own choice to not get vaccinated, and that's not very tragic.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,172,001 times
Denmark lifted all restrictions including mask wearing in hospitals and no longer considers Covid a threat to society.

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/...op-80-per-cent

Old 09-10-2021, 06:21 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,773,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Agreed on that point. Putting it on for 5 minutes in the grocery store is definitely no big deal. I don't like having to wear one for long periods of time. Just so tired of those things. Would definitely prefer it be an individual choice as much as possible.

I've complied with every rule since this thing started, but I was under the impression that it was a temporary situation until we got the vaccine distributed. Could be my ignorance, but I'm still not fully clear why we can't just move on to normalcy now, or what the plan or timeline is here, since the vast majority of people getting any kind of significantly sick are those not vaccinated. And since you can't force vaccination on everyone.

And yes I hear the point about hospital bed shortage and all that, but it just seems to me if we got society basically fully back to normal (or the new normal), really the main consequence is that some people will die a preventable death or get really sick by their own choice to not get vaccinated, and that's not very tragic.
Do you feel the same disdain for the unvaccinated who are staying in, wearing masks on the rare occasions they do go out, waiting for a safer vaccine (not an experiemental genetic code therapy like you got) or anti-viral pill Merck and Pfizer are working on? I'm unvaccinated, but three of my neighbors had covid, two were hospitalized, but they were the ones not wearing masks, not social distancing but hugging each other in their yards, etc, I predicted all along they were covid cases waiting to happen. A percentage of the unvaccinated are taking precautions to protect you and themselves until better treatment is available.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:23 PM

8,085 posts, read 8,417,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Denmark lifted all restrictions including mask wearing in hospitals and no longer considers Covid a threat to society.

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/...op-80-per-cent
Denmark:
At least one dose: 76.3%
Two doses: 73.7%

U.S.:
At least one dose: 69.2%
Two doses: 61.2%

If you care about your loved ones, get vaccinated.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:39 PM

372 posts, read 310,521 times
Quote:
But honestly as a vaccinated person, I kind of resent having to still wear a mask at this point, as it seems to be mostly to protect the lives of people who are too stupid to protect themselves by getting vaccinated.

So yeah, I myself don't fully understand why we need mask requirements while the vaccine has long been widely available. At this point shouldn't we just let everyone make their own choices and take their own risks?
Yes, but Fuhrer Inslee likes controlling 7.5 million+ people too much.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:42 PM

372 posts, read 310,521 times
Quote:

Hospitals don’t have a bed shortage. They have a staffing shortage and it is about to get worse thanks to Fuhrers Inslee and Brown. Watching the attrition rate should be fun.

Inslee and Brown will own the fallout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area