Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 08:56 AM

268 posts, read 357,874 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure: I maybe writing this as a therapy but also hope some may relate and get something out of my Seattle experience.

To clarify, I was raised in Seattle in the 70’s-80’s before the “boom”. This was when a house with a lake view on Mercer Island went for 250k.

I left in the mid-80s, studied, and worked in Europe before eventually making it back 25 years back to the US. In 2016, my rather comfortable California life was about to change: Looking for a summer vacation idea, I proposed to my wife and kids a trip to my “hometown”, a place I had not visited since my departure.
As soon as we arrived in Seattle, I fell in love. Madly.
Yes, the city changed A LOT in every way, but the familiar smell of the Pike Place was there, the stunning PNW nature was beautiful, and the overall Seattle vibe just hypnotized me. When we left, I knew that I had to come back. Permanently I hoped.
Sure, Seattle is expensive (but so is South California where we were living). Sure a vacation experience is not the same as living but there is so much to do in the PNW. I could make every weekend a mini vacation: San Juan, museums….I had a response for everything.

Fast forward to 2019. We sold our house as we wanted to downsize, and I decided to start to actively job hunt in Seattle even though I had a good paying job in Cal.
I found myself flying to Seattle 3 times for job interviews in 2 months. These interviews were not positive with twice comments like“ we don`t need more people from Cali” .” or Why would you want to move here to the liberal city?”
They were joking I thought. I will not lose my motivation!

After flying in for a 4th time to SeaTac for an interview, I received an offer in DT Seattle at the corporate HQ of a large company (that everyone knows).
The offer was perhaps under my current level (I was a director in Cal) and salary was lesser but we could make it work as I planned that we would live in DT so no commute costs and Seattle had less taxes than California (this remains true). Once more, I had a response for everything.

January 2020; It was happening! I moved to Seattle. I spend my first weekend walking everywhere. Sure the drizzle was not fun and wow, on 3rd street, a lot of homeless but I was in love.

My first day on the job was, looking back, my first flag. I met my newly hired boss for the first time and the “team”. Everyone was cold and rather (ok very) unwelcoming. But I had a response: these are pros and high level! (this was quickly debunked!). I will learn and blend in. I was determined to work harder and prove my value.
Then my first real wake up: My team meetings over the next weeks did not get better and I quickly learned what an out of state colleague told me : The Seattle freeze is real. Making friends is not easy. Really.
Then Covid hit. That meant not only losing any chance to bond with people in the company as we were working from home, but all the mini vacations I planned on weekends ( Bainbridge…..) were over. And then “fear” in the team: The “big company” might be laying off (and did) so it got really unfriendly.

Every man- woman for themselves. I had been in an economic layoff before but this was very different. My soon to be ex boss told me “ we drink too much coffee, don`t have enough vitamin C so are cranky”

I also started to also notice that the homeless is sadly a real big problem. I actually worked directly with homeless in California (at a nonprofit) but the homeless in Seattle seemed, to me, to have mental and addiction issues that were stronger than in Cal : ex: I saw in Ballard a perhaps 18- 20 year old “girl” next to the Fred Meyer, wearing just underwear, passing out in the 50 degree drizzle. Not one person stopped. I called 911 and they said they will send someone but dispatch also mentioned that sadly Seattle is overflowing with addiction issues. Perhaps this was worse under Covid but this girl was younger than my eldest kid!
Two weeks later, I was notified that my position was eliminated due to Covid. My boss seemed relieved that she was fine and her Seattle protégé, hired the same day as me, was fine too.

That same night, I started to apply to every job in my domain in Washington. But in May 2020, nobody was hiring in Seattle in my (or close) domain.

Our rent on beautiful Lake Union was almost 4K and not having unemployment assistance (another story!) I had to move fast. No time to feel sorry for myself.
After 4 weeks of 12 hours a day search, we decided that I would take ANY job in the US as long as it has something to do with my domain.
I received a week later a temp position on the East coast that while the salary was not great, we would be able to eat and pay rent (the rent for a house was 2K). I canceled our Seattle lease, put our belongings in storage and drove off with red eyes. The image of seeing the last time the Needle in my rearview mirror still haunts me today.
One year later, I able to look and analyze. What have a learned?

That it is important to remain objective. If you have a dream (Seattle or elsewhere) look at the positives but also don`t underestimate the potential negatives. Of course, this is for any city but IMHO the beauty of Seattle actually blinded me and I pushed without looking at the whole picture.
The homeless here is really an issue. It is very sad. These are human beings.
Seattle is expensive! Rent is high. Don’ t hope to find a deal or cheap rent (unless you are ok to commute 1 hour one way). We tried to downsize outside of Seattle when I lost my job but if you add the cost to commute to get to Seattle the total cost goes up. It was not an option for us.

The Emerald City is in demand (I think it is the city with the largest population boom in the US again in 2021), so employers can (and do) offer jobs with lower than market salaries. They have so many candidates who want (like me) the Seattle dream. Make sure you really crunch the numbers! Don`t underestimate the cost of living even if a potential employer tells you “Washington doesn’t have state income tax”.
The Seattle freeze: It DOES exist. Just is. That is my experience.
The weather: honestly, this is what bothered me the least. The weather is not great but not near as bad as it is portrayed. Seattle is gorgeous under the drizzle.

I am on the mend but still have scars. I accepted a permanent position a few months ago in the Capital. I love the job but have not fallen in love yet with DC as I am too afraid to lose objectivity. I don`t think DC will replace in my heart Seattle but who knows?

I still think that once you have Seattle in your blood it will remain forever part of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Thanks for this post - I, too, left Seattle before the boom and haven't lived there since although I have family and a couple of friends there still. But...Seattle IS in my blood. I know that feeling - the smell of the air, the earth, the water. I don't mind the rain, never did as a child and still don't, and I know the summers are insanely perfect. In fact, I'll be there in another month and I'm out of my mind with excitement.

I wouldn't move there without a job in place and be as secure as one can be anywhere, but I worry about the cost of living. I was told recently that if I earned 20% more than my current salary, that should cover housing but I'm doubtful. I know I'll have to compromise in this area - smaller house, more tax, maybe improvements to house if old as sin...I do like the surrounding areas although I haven't been in some of them in awhile (i.e. Columbia City, Burien etc.).

I do think Seattle is everything I always thought it was - no better, no worse - but the draw to be near my family is pulling me crazy - but the numbers have to work. My plan would be to move in with my brother (he offered should I get a job there) and live there until my house in my current state sells - my husband would stay behind to take care of that and then we'd find a place to live. I'd have to sell him on leaving a financially secure location to live in my home state for at least a few years before we retire...

I contacted a recruiter yesterday to see about an interview while I'm on vacation next month - I don't even know why I'm writing all this down but this post just hit me. I can relate to the "feel" - I'm so sorry though that Covid just ruined everything (how could it not and I'm not trying to be facetious) - I don't know what my chances are but I do think if I don't try now, I'll always regret it. Guess I'm just putting this out in the universe...guess we'll see where it goes...

Old 06-02-2021, 01:59 PM

ShellNic, you are IMHO asking the right questions.. the one worry is the constant cost of living increases while the salaries do not seem to follow as companies are getting submerged with candidates. They can pay less because they know they will find people!
100% agree with your last statement. Had I not tried, I would have huge regrets today. It didn`t work out but it is a chapter in my book of life so I can turn the page

Old 06-02-2021, 03:25 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I think it's good to have a lingering longing for something/someplace. It means your memories are pleasant or you experienced something good.

I have good memories of our time in the midwest... fireflies dancing on deep green summer lawns. Enjoying rural farmstead corn mazes, apple cider and donuts on brisk fall afternoons. White Christmases (at least there was some snow on the ground).

That said, you pointed out everything I currently love about living in the PNW. If I were pulled away I would miss those things too.

You just have to find the charms of where ever you're at and make the most of it. I haven't been in DC too many times, but I know I liked it more than my 20 years in Texas. You're very close to so many great places.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:15 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Full disclosure: I maybe writing this as a therapy but also hope some may relate and get something out of my Seattle experience.

To clarify, I was raised in Seattle in the 70’s-80’s before the “boom”. This was when a house with a lake view on Mercer Island went for 250k.

I left in the mid-80s, studied, and worked in Europe before eventually making it back 25 years back to the US. In 2016, my rather comfortable California life was about to change: Looking for a summer vacation idea, I proposed to my wife and kids a trip to my “hometown”, a place I had not visited since my departure.
As soon as we arrived in Seattle, I fell in love. Madly.
Yes, the city changed A LOT in every way, but the familiar smell of the Pike Place was there, the stunning PNW nature was beautiful, and the overall Seattle vibe just hypnotized me. When we left, I knew that I had to come back. Permanently I hoped.
Sure, Seattle is expensive (but so is South California where we were living). Sure a vacation experience is not the same as living but there is so much to do in the PNW. I could make every weekend a mini vacation: San Juan, museums….I had a response for everything.

Fast forward to 2019. We sold our house as we wanted to downsize, and I decided to start to actively job hunt in Seattle even though I had a good paying job in Cal.
I found myself flying to Seattle 3 times for job interviews in 2 months. These interviews were not positive with twice comments like“ we don`t need more people from Cali” .” or Why would you want to move here to the liberal city?”
They were joking I thought. I will not lose my motivation!

After flying in for a 4th time to SeaTac for an interview, I received an offer in DT Seattle at the corporate HQ of a large company (that everyone knows).
The offer was perhaps under my current level (I was a director in Cal) and salary was lesser but we could make it work as I planned that we would live in DT so no commute costs and Seattle had less taxes than California (this remains true). Once more, I had a response for everything.

January 2020; It was happening! I moved to Seattle. I spend my first weekend walking everywhere. Sure the drizzle was not fun and wow, on 3rd street, a lot of homeless but I was in love.

My first day on the job was, looking back, my first flag. I met my newly hired boss for the first time and the “team”. Everyone was cold and rather (ok very) unwelcoming. But I had a response: these are pros and high level! (this was quickly debunked!). I will learn and blend in. I was determined to work harder and prove my value.
Then my first real wake up: My team meetings over the next weeks did not get better and I quickly learned what an out of state colleague told me : The Seattle freeze is real. Making friends is not easy. Really.
Then Covid hit. That meant not only losing any chance to bond with people in the company as we were working from home, but all the mini vacations I planned on weekends ( Bainbridge…..) were over. And then “fear” in the team: The “big company” might be laying off (and did) so it got really unfriendly.

Every man- woman for themselves. I had been in an economic layoff before but this was very different. My soon to be ex boss told me “ we drink too much coffee, don`t have enough vitamin C so are cranky”

I also started to also notice that the homeless is sadly a real big problem. I actually worked directly with homeless in California (at a nonprofit) but the homeless in Seattle seemed, to me, to have mental and addiction issues that were stronger than in Cal : ex: I saw in Ballard a perhaps 18- 20 year old “girl” next to the Fred Meyer, wearing just underwear, passing out in the 50 degree drizzle. Not one person stopped. I called 911 and they said they will send someone but dispatch also mentioned that sadly Seattle is overflowing with addiction issues. Perhaps this was worse under Covid but this girl was younger than my eldest kid!
Two weeks later, I was notified that my position was eliminated due to Covid. My boss seemed relieved that she was fine and her Seattle protégé, hired the same day as me, was fine too.

That same night, I started to apply to every job in my domain in Washington. But in May 2020, nobody was hiring in Seattle in my (or close) domain.

Our rent on beautiful Lake Union was almost 4K and not having unemployment assistance (another story!) I had to move fast. No time to feel sorry for myself.
After 4 weeks of 12 hours a day search, we decided that I would take ANY job in the US as long as it has something to do with my domain.
I received a week later a temp position on the East coast that while the salary was not great, we would be able to eat and pay rent (the rent for a house was 2K). I canceled our Seattle lease, put our belongings in storage and drove off with red eyes. The image of seeing the last time the Needle in my rearview mirror still haunts me today.
One year later, I able to look and analyze. What have a learned?

That it is important to remain objective. If you have a dream (Seattle or elsewhere) look at the positives but also don`t underestimate the potential negatives. Of course, this is for any city but IMHO the beauty of Seattle actually blinded me and I pushed without looking at the whole picture.
The homeless here is really an issue. It is very sad. These are human beings.
Seattle is expensive! Rent is high. Don’ t hope to find a deal or cheap rent (unless you are ok to commute 1 hour one way). We tried to downsize outside of Seattle when I lost my job but if you add the cost to commute to get to Seattle the total cost goes up. It was not an option for us.

The Emerald City is in demand (I think it is the city with the largest population boom in the US again in 2021), so employers can (and do) offer jobs with lower than market salaries. They have so many candidates who want (like me) the Seattle dream. Make sure you really crunch the numbers! Don`t underestimate the cost of living even if a potential employer tells you “Washington doesn’t have state income tax”.
The Seattle freeze: It DOES exist. Just is. That is my experience.
The weather: honestly, this is what bothered me the least. The weather is not great but not near as bad as it is portrayed. Seattle is gorgeous under the drizzle.

I am on the mend but still have scars. I accepted a permanent position a few months ago in the Capital. I love the job but have not fallen in love yet with DC as I am too afraid to lose objectivity. I don`t think DC will replace in my heart Seattle but who knows?

I still think that once you have Seattle in your blood it will remain forever part of you.

Sounds like the onset of COVID didn’t really give you much of a chance here. I wonder how your experience would have been different. The shut in was/has been brutal on all of us, made connections and human contact almost impossible. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if I hadn’t been well rooted with good friends here. Sorry yaya, save a place in your DNA for us.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I think it's good to have a lingering longing for something/someplace. It means your memories are pleasant or you experienced something good.

I have good memories of our time in the midwest... fireflies dancing on deep green summer lawns. Enjoying rural farmstead corn mazes, apple cider and donuts on brisk fall afternoons. White Christmases (at least there was some snow on the ground).

That said, you pointed out everything I currently love about living in the PNW. If I were pulled away I would miss those things too.

You just have to find the charms of where ever you're at and make the most of it. I haven't been in DC too many times, but I know I liked it more than my 20 years in Texas. You're very close to so many great places.
Thank you for your kind words! I will try to be positive about DC . I am confident enough about the job that we made an offer on a home in downtown and close tomorrow. The area we chose actually reminds me of Queen Anne ( the Georgetown area).

Old 06-02-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sounds like the onset of COVID didn’t really give you much of a chance here. I wonder how your experience would have been different. The shut in was/has been brutal on all of us, made connections and human contact almost impossible. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if I hadn’t been well rooted with good friends here. Sorry yaya, save a place in your DNA for us.
Well Covid did play a big part but the Seattle freeze didn’t help either . I think also the fact that I maybe idolized Seattle made the fall even worse. I hope to love DC but Seattle is part of me and will always have a special place in my heart.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:01 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Well Covid did play a big part but the Seattle freeze didn’t help either . I think also the fact that I maybe idolized Seattle made the fall even worse. I hope to love DC but Seattle is part of me and will always have a special place in my heart.
Are you sure it wasn't more of a "corporate" freeze, with a happy-face "reality", on the outside, but wondering whose throat will be slit next, on the inside. Cue survival-of-the-fittest theme music.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Are you sure it wasn't more of a "corporate" freeze, with a happy-face "reality", on the outside, but wondering whose throat will be slit next, on the inside. Cue survival-of-the-fittest theme music.
I don’t think so. The ambiance was cold on day one .Before Covid . From new hires to existing employees. I have been in my domain for 25 years and worked all over the US and elsewhere . First time I felt this.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
I don’t think so. The ambiance was cold on day one .Before Covid . From new hires to existing employees. I have been in my domain for 25 years and worked all over the US and elsewhere . First time I felt this.
Or it was just that corporation, which has gotten way too big for their britches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area