Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 02:14 PM

15,943 posts, read 6,646,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
Nah, those aren’t facts and the CDC isn’t credible anymore.

Facts are that states with mask mandates didn’t perform noticeably different than states w/o mask mandates.

I’m not saying wearing a mask isn’t a bad idea, if you want to wear them, but there need not be a mandate. You can wear a face diaper if you want. But neither you nor Inslee will tell me or make me wear a mask.
Okay. If we can't even agree on what's factual, then we have nothing to discuss. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 03:03 PM

335 posts, read 426,917 times
I'm going to keep wearing a mask for a while, and will definitely be masking up come flu season. Sure, it may be better at keeping me from spreading stuff than at keeping me from catching it, but that's still a reasonable benefit. I sometimes have to go out when I'm sick.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 PM

372 posts, read 310,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Okay. If we can't even agree on what's factual, then we have nothing to discuss. Good luck.
There are no facts at your link. There is just a bunch of conjecture.

All the citations about decline in “cases” (OMG! Cases!) are covering time frames when coronaviruses and influenza viruses seasonally decline anyway.

In other words, what is posted at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html is such a load of bull kaka that even bulldozers couldn’t clear it.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:45 PM

372 posts, read 310,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I'm going to keep wearing a mask for a while, and will definitely be masking up come flu season. Sure, it may be better at keeping me from spreading stuff than at keeping me from catching it, but that's still a reasonable benefit. I sometimes have to go out when I'm sick.
There won’t be a flu season. SARS-CoV-2 is now the dominant virus in the human virome. The Southern Hemisphere is now in their winter and they’re getting hit with SARS-CoV-2, not influenza. Check the cases for South American and African countries that are south of the equator and temperate climates. Think Chile, Uruguay, Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, Paraguay, for example. Seasonal spike is peaking or over and now declining. Australia has been flat, but should start to see an increase in 2-3 weeks.

Pretty interesting time in human history. The influenza virus has been sidelined by a new respiratory virus.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 8,417,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I think you have been refactoring my arguments into a different meaning. I agree that mask wearing has value, but it comes at a cost.

1. The original reason for the lockdown and quarantine measures was to protect the medical systems from collapse. The lethality rate remains low as long as hospital care is available, but starts to skyrocket on system collapse.
2. The reason we opted for quarantine measures is because we lacked a vaccine. That was our only option for lowering the viral replication factor.
3. Thus far it has been demonstrated that vaccination provides a strong defense against severe symptoms, and against virus spread. If we were 100% vaccinated, there would be no reason not to unmask. At least in the short term.

For the time being, the risk in #1 is significantly reduced. Studies have already shown that the vaccinated have a very low probability of further spread. The biggest risk is to the unvaccinated, and the biggest risk to them is other unvaccinated people. They are definitely the ones who should remain masked up, in order to protect each other. If we got the vaccination rate up high enough, it wouldn't matter because herd immunity will kick in. At least in the short term.

The CDC reasoning is that we should continue to test COVID-19 patients and check for breakthrough cases. Once that starts to happen, we'll need to have booster shots, or a new vaccine. Research priority can now focus on medical treatments for COVID-19 patients. Yes we should be working to get the rest of the world vaccinated, particularly in urban regions.
Once again, you are sidestepping the points I have brought up. I can only assume that is because you don't have any viable counter-arguments.

#1 should read "the vaccinated", not "the unvaccinated" - I'm not arguing that the threat to the vaccinated has not been significantly reduced, but simply that it has not been eliminated. You are conflating being less vulnerable with being invulnerable. That vaccination might keep you out of the hospital, ICU, or morgue doesn't mean there can't be serious long-term deleterious consequences due to being infected, even if previously vaccinated, especially for the vulnerable (the aged and the comorbid).

The major thrust of my argument is #2, which you completely ignored.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,097,258 times
I stayed away from this thread, because very few people are wearing masks in eastern Washington.

Everybody can get a vaccination now, no waiting. I drove past the vaccination center this morning and there were NO RIGS with people waiting to get vaccinated.

Sorry, but if your like John Kennedy Jr. and are anti-vaccine your on your own NOW. I am not wearing a mask just because you flunked basic science.

I thought much ado about nothing. Well, people from the coast are different.

Went camping this weekend and while fishing a lake got to hear a extended family from Seattle talking about their camping trip to eastern Washington.

It started out pretty funny.

They started on global warming and how nobody in eastern Washington believes in it. That's fine. It was pretty funny, that they drove THREE LARGE SUV's from Seattle for SEVEN hours just to go camping in eastern Washington. I bet they didn't drive 55 MPH to lower their CO2 emissions.

Then their conversation turned towards masks and the fact nobody was wearing them in eastern Washington. The patriarch of the family then said that the ”state” should SHOOT anybody that doesn't wear a mask!!

It has come to this about mask wearing???

We are going to shoot people because they are done wearing masks??

Get a grip folks. My folks fled the Soviet Union and Germany during WWII, they killed people for just being Jewish.

I don't care if you wear a mask. I am done wearing mine.

Are you going to have Inslee kill me for that??

Old 06-24-2021, 12:19 AM

1,369 posts, read 719,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

...They started on global warming and how nobody in eastern Washington believes in it. That's fine. It was pretty funny, that they drove THREE LARGE SUV's from Seattle for SEVEN hours just to go camping in eastern Washington. I bet they didn't drive 55 MPH to lower their CO2 emissions.

...The patriarch of the family then said that the ”state” should SHOOT anybody that doesn't wear a mask!!

...Get a grip folks...

....Are you going to have Inslee kill me for that??
Obviously what he said was wrong but it's hyperbole. Still, he shouldn't have said it. Some people have no filter. One presumes he is exasperated, and saying something he clearly doesn't mean.

With regards to the three large SUVs, yes, I see your point. Though global warming can't be combatted by individual efforts. That just makes one feel good.

Reducing emissions will take a world wide compact and change driven by government policy. No amount of personal conservation, recycling, reusing etc. will be enough to turnaround the CO2 machine. That's still not a pass to the SUV drivers of the world, but it's better to drive an SUV and vote for a government that will tackle emissions (for example, by banning those combustion engine driven SUVs) than to drive a Prius and vote for a government that denies the risk of green house gases.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:29 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,871,567 times
107F may finally force the masses to remove the masks.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
107F may finally force the masses to remove the masks.
Unlikely; interior locations visited by multiple people are generally air conditioned. It should be pretty safe outdoors though. Aerosol particles will have a shorter half-life in that heat.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 PM

The Sounders are planning to fully open Lumen Field on July 7th, with no requirement for proof of vaccination required.

Sounders FC to fully open Lumen Field starting with July 7 home match

That will be a welcome sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area